Progress Thread “Rising from Ashes 7” 85 GT T-Top build thread

Strip it

I took this pic while I was stripping it. Only found 1 spot of filler in the whole quarter. Which corresponds to what the seller told me about his history witb it.
I of course ground it out after this pic because we dont allow filler over bare metal anymore. Has to be over epoxy.

Reactions: 1 user
November 11th

December 10th 1 month of work

pretty happy with the progress Ive made in a month. Everything is now torn down and boxed and bagged and tagged. A lot of body work and stripping done. smooth Engine bay well under way.

Reactions: 4 users
Got the t-top trim removed, windsheild moldings and any other trim in the way of stripping. Finished stripping the roof and cowl panel. Then back on the engine bay with more smoothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Passenger door was rotted out so I pulled a good one off a 91 GT and converted it and cut it to make it a T-Top door. The other door I stripped to metal and laid some epoxy down. Have one rust area to fix on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really thinking about chopping my roof and installing ttops. I've got everything already other than the 87 and up roof trim that matches the quarter windows on my 88. I'd have to sway the door guts and chop my doors. The only issue I have is the ttop frame is rusted where the ttop glass seal goes. Just that little strip of metal about 3/4 inch is missing the rest is solid.

You are the ttop man, so how would you tackle that situation ?

Easy. Just splice in a piece there. Tig weld it would be preferred. Grind smooth with 40 grit. Then hit with 80/150/220 and done. The frame should be blasted and powder coated prior to install anyway. They did not coat the insides so more is hiding. Ive done 8 t-top conversions now and use the same method everytime

Reactions: 1 users
Welding up some holes to convert this 91 door to an 85.
Coating backsides of the engine bay panels going in.

Little more epoxy applied To the bay.

Reactions: 2 users
I almost accidentally reported this post, I mean I did click the report button without thinking and in the comments I was just going to put, "Too awesome, his threads can really be distracting". But decided not to and gave it a Like.

Reactions: 1 users