1968 Coupe Project

I thought you were going with an AOD. Since you are not, it was good you replaced the 4:11 gears if you want to drive on highways.
The heads should be a durable upgrade. I would have massaged the bowls at least, but soon you Are into the range of aluminum heads according to the Fox folks.
Is your explorer rear quipped with two different lengt axles like the Rangers? If so, does that mean an offset pumpkin, and what issues does that cause on an early Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

That was my original intention. Since I posted that a couple things have happened: My step son has completely lost interest and since I already have a project of my own I will probably find this Mustang a new home after I get it together. I'm already in it this deep, so I'd like to see it be solid and driveable before it leaves me. In the last year, my cousin bought a 67 Mustang and swapped it's C4 out for a T5 and upgraded the headers. I got his old stuff for a song. I havent changed the 4:10 gears yet but thats on my list. The engine was a budget deal and even though I plan to sell the car I dislike the E7 heads so much that I just had to bolt on some kind of improvement. The previous owner had upgraded the springs and retainers but couldnt remember what else the performance shop who set them up had done. I felt like they were a bargain at $150. The explorer rear does have an offset center section. Some say you must fix that, some say it dosent matter. My favorite driveshaft shop says it'll be ok and they havent steered me wrong yet. I have an aluminum Crown Vic driveshaft that I will have cut down after I get the engine and trans in and we'll just see what she does. If it dosen't work out, I'll regroup. I do plan to drive this car for a little bit after I get it together just to make sure the bugs are worked out for the next guy.

I finally got the engine and trans bolted in this thing. It only took two attempts. I had the frame brackets bolted in on the wrong side in the first attempt. All I’m missing now is everything around the engine. The rear springs are sagging bad. I probably need to replace them before I measure for a driveshaft.

Attachments

• 1E4C7B28-84C2-4B3A-9C28-0CF4ADDA6711.jpeg
    1E4C7B28-84C2-4B3A-9C28-0CF4ADDA6711.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 184
C75922A0-F25B-47A1-B957-74C7E434E750.jpeg

About ready to try to start this mess. It’s a simple car but hunting down missing bolts and parts has made progress slow. The radiator I sourced for it is wrong, so that’s my biggest hold up at the moment.

Thanks. I got the thing running today. It lit the second time I hit the switch and runs great. The carb does need a kit but I’ll get to that later. Time to work in getting some brakes on it now.

Reactions: 1 user
Been working on hooking all the wires back up. If I had an electrical manual things would have gone faster but Ive been sorting through the mess the old fashioned way. I cant believe the dome light still works.

I don't have any pics, but over the weekend I replaced the rear springs with new ones from CJ pony parts. I'd love to get it off the jack stands and see how it sits with them but I'm trying to have enough patience to get the driveshaft in it and the rear brake lines run before I do that.

The Aug 2014 pics at the start still make me cringe. Your moments away from being a driver now though.

1qlmai.jpg
True. Once I get the driveshaft cut and the brakes finished I should be able to at least ride around the block with a portable gas can. I have a little rust to fix in the trunk before I replace the gas tank.

Mechanically I have built this whole car out of second hand parts and some of them came from some less than ideal places. Some of the things might get upgraded later but I was missing so many things that I’ve tried to save money everywhere I can. This car had probably been parked 25 years before I got it. I’m amazed at how many things have gone back to work like the wipers, the dome light, and even the high beam indicator light. The thing even charges lol.
84A8E8D6-10A0-4642-8AC3-2F1F4D963F03.jpeg

I used to hate unfinished build threads so I came back to close this one. I sold this car and the shippers picked it up yesterday. It’s going overseas to a Mustang shop in Europe. I wish them well with it.

Attachments

• 3A426E74-BB45-4A48-A84F-1E1B366D953E.jpeg
    3A426E74-BB45-4A48-A84F-1E1B366D953E.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Sad