Progress Thread 1990 Lx 5.0 Dark Titanium "one Last Ride"

• Sponsors (?)

Had some time over the past few days and today to work on the interior. I live a few miles away from MG and this weekend was the FM Nat's. Unfortunately, it was a crappy weather weekend and today was supposed to be the best day of the weekend so a friend and I were planning on attending.

We drove by and on the 15 minute drive it started pouring rain so we figured we do a driveby. There was very few vendors setup from what we could see so we bailed and he helped me finish most of the interior: front seats. He's done a few Fox seat upholstery kits, so here's some pics. Long story short, whatever you do, get good hog ring pliers! I had already picked up a nice set a few days ago on amazon. The set that they give you in the Acme kit sucks arse big time. Throw them away (red handled POS in the pics). Get a good pair (that's what she said) because you'll spend 20 minutes per ring if you don't.

Overall, it came out good. Most of the bars aren't reused as the covers come with plastic that you hog ring to vs. the bars. The worst part was the zippers (only on the front seat uppers) that were a huge whore. Here's some pics; wish I got more mid-progress but we were moving at a pretty good pace.

Note there's some pics of the rear seats I was working on as well. Karolina is appreciating the old seats on a few pics:
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4991.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG
IMG_4980.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4976.JPG
DSCN4054.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
If it's good enough for your cat, it's good enough for me.

Looks really good though brother, I understand that pita zipper really well. Good job:nice:

Reactions: 1 users
It was a very rainy Saturday in the NE so I did just about nothing. I dropped off the new quarter windows and took the old ones home as they're prepping the roof, cowl, and hood between last week and this week. With any luck, I'll have the car back from paint next week!
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG

I would strongly recommend fabbing up a shield over your air cleaner as you are getting fan wash and hot air directed into it. If possible I would look to relocate it front and downward and out of the engine as much as possible.

Was down in Florida until Saturday night so I didn't get to do anything at the shop. They did, however, get some paint on the car! The driver door trim molding was peeling up (at end near rear quarter) if you look at some of the pics. With the rest of the paint looking nice, it bothered me enough that I ended up ordering a new molding. I'm hoping they'll paint it with some of the other odds and ends pieces I gave them and the hood by this Saturday so that I may be able to see the rest with the new hood. Here's the pics my buddy got me Saturday:
IMG_5014.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG

I'm painted! I could've brought it back home last weekend, but they still needed to mount the new door belt trim and cut/buff the roof. So hopefully will have it this upcoming weekend. Here's some pics my buddy sent me. It's getting so close I can taste the pain of no excuse not to work on it!

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I was able to pick the car up Friday afternoon and bring it home. There's a ton of stuff to do just to get it inspected and ready for the road, but slowly picking away at a few things. I made a list Friday evening for Carlisle Saturday. Lots of good prices (At least for what I needed) on used parts. I got almost everything I needed as well as a set of smoked headlights. Show was pretty packed Saturday and one of the busiest years that I've been to for a while.

I should now be able to start posting regularly of updates. I've pulled the mass back carpet out in the sun but still needs a few more good days with sun. We haven't seen too much of it here lately.

Here's some pics:
IMG_5154.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5127.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys! Spent a few hours last night fixing things I saw or couldn't get at the body shop. Sway bar end links installed, attached lower front bumper cover that wasn't ever bolted (Needed to get some clips and bolts), pulled the crappy mid pipe off, installed the used Pro Chamber, and adjusted the entire exhaust now that's it (hopefully!) permanently in place. I need to weld a new bung in on the driver side since the one that's in there was stripped and someone put in a repair sleeve that's stripped as well.

I also was seeing some odd oil pressure issues, so I put in a new sending unit. My friend swears we put in a new oil pump when we did the heads a few years ago, but I really don't recall. That was something we would do, but with 89k on the car, I'm a bit concerned

I took a look at the brakes and assessed what's needed. Honestly, it needs it all. Slightly wet wheel cylinders, Heavy rust on the rotors, the drums were locking up even with pulling the car off the trailer Friday, etc. I'll eventually do a 5 lug and brake upgrade, but not looking to do that right away. So I'm replacing all the brakes/hardware/rear wheel cylinders so it's all new, clean and safe. I hate to spend the money that could be used for better brakes via 5 lug, but I have enough to work on and it will be safe enough to stop albeit not optimally! It does have stainless braided lines and SS caliper sleeves. I ran this setup on my 89 daily for a couple of years with adequate brakes.

Car looks like it was undercoated at the beginning of it's life. Bitter sweet because they even covered the fuel tank cover! And always worried what I can't see could be hiding rust. Did some cleaning underneath, but the picture doesn't show it.

Underside1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Today was a heavy ordering day. Ordered new front struts since it still has the originals and it never got an alignment from years ago when we did the Bullitt springs. Ordered a new FMS clutch cable to replace whatever crappy one is in there, all the brake parts, and some new plug wires to go along with the new plugs, cap, and rotor.

LMR got some more money for some odds and ends interior parts since I should be able to start putting that back in soon.

No clue why the pics are upside down.

Old headliner's out. New arrived yesterday. Need to do some POR15 in some areas of the passenger floor before I put in the new carpet. It spent th past few days on and off in the sun. It does help but it rained and sun came out over 5 times today!

IMG_5166.JPG
IMG_5167.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG

A lot of progress over the past few days and the week although nothing really cool in pictures to share. Things done:

· New front (unfortunately still 4 lug) brakes, pads, rotors with MM ss caliper sleeves.

· POR15’d the passenger floor.

· Removed original sound deadening on the driver floor so I can paint.

· New tune up with new Taylor 409’s, 3924 plugs, cap, and rotor.

· Driver’s door hinge bushings. It wasn't too bad and all the mustangs and friends I've had with these cars it was the first time doing them. Put on a new striker latch and adjusted the door. Looks and works a milltion times better. I'm foregoing the passenger door set for now just so I can get it running and they're ok. They were also replaced at some point. The driver side was the originals. The only tool I could get in there was a dremel. Tried a cut off wheel but the wheel's just to big and a sawzall seemed to be too risky to badly scratch up the paint unnecessarily. It took about 2 hours all in. 40 mins to get the old pins cut out and removed and another hour and 20 mins to get the bushings out/in and lining up the pins was the longest part.

· New passenger door window weather stripping, and outer felt rubber. What a PITA! I didn't realize you have to take the door panel off to fee the front section down in the window channel that runs damn near to the bottom of the door. I needed to pull the speaker to replace them anyway, but now I'm considering getting new lock cylinders since I'm needing both and they're right there. I lubed up the power window and regulator parts while in there. Works smoother and quieter overall.

It seems like I should have done a lot more, but that was a huge pain as it was. I was going to do the rear brakes, but the new front brake lines don't show up until today, so figured no sense in doing the rear wheel cylinders until I had new front lines on to bleed brakes all at once. I'm going to paint the driver side floor board since I still have plenty of paint but it's rust free and solid. So hoping to button up the chassis and at least the carpet and interior after I put down some new sound deadener in.

IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5197.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG
IMG_5186.JPG
IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG