1991notch's Progress Thread (PICS)...

• Sponsors (?)

Matt, Andrew, and everyone else, thanks for all the kind words guys! THE MOTOR IS IN!! :D :banana: everything except the upper and lower intake are on right now, unfortunately my digital camera took a dump and is acting whacky, and killing batteries after a single picture :shrug: $500 for a 12 megapixel Kodak... pretty pissed it's not working, especially now!

UPDATE: i forgot to mention that i'm actually not using the block shown in the early posts of this thread anymore, the #6 piston had a fairly deep mark on it from a valve striking the top of it... and i checked it with my dial indicator and it had more travel past TDC than all of the other pistons, i'm thinking maybe a rod bent slightly... it was a big disappointment but i'd rather not take the chance with all of these brand new expensive parts i'm using

100_0166.jpg

but anyway... all of the parts shown on the block above were transfered to my stock shortblock, that only has 49k original miles on it anyway, and i know for sure it's good to go.... the shortblock with the bent rod is going to be rebuilt and freshened up to be dropped in a rolling chassis at some point... i'm going to flip over my old stock shorties and bolt a turbo on it... BUT that's a whole new thread altogether :nice:

PICS AND VIDS NEXT WEEEEEK :D

Attachments

• 100_0166.jpg
    100_0166.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 90
yeah, i honestly could have... but i was kicking myself for buying all of these expensive performance parts and then going and cheaping out by buying a $150 short block, the condition of which is pretty unknown, could have 20k or 220k, who knows... i just wrestled with it for a week or two in my head, and i settled on having the peace of mind... i'm on a relatively tight budget, i just didn't want the thing to implode on startup and be a few grand down the toilet because a hit in the wallet like that would most likely have me out of the performance car thing for quite a while

well, it's WAY too cold in NY right now to be working on the car (20 degrees)... and i work outside for a living 5 days a week, so it's really hard to find motivation to freeze on the weekends too... BUT i have a dumb update to hold me over until tomorrow when it should be back in the 40s...

i cleaned up the OEM black door panels i got in the mail... these things were beyond dirty (they were in storage since 1996 :eek:) but i scored a killer deal on them and they cleaned up amazingly, check it out

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

i think i even have an idea to keep the map pockets from sagging on me...

anyway, stay tuned!
Chris :nice:

Attachments

• Picture012-1.jpg
    Picture012-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture011-1.jpg
    Picture011-1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 79
just a minor update here... so i underestimated how much of my time the holiday was going to take up :rolleyes:, the car is pretty much all together now but runs like absolute crap, it will barely idle untuned... but i have a dyno appointment this coming thursday where they'll be burning an SCT chip and doing as many pulls as it takes to get the car dialed in... praying for 300 horse :D i'm saving pics and vids for once the car is tuned! you'll all just have to wait :D

i also got my OEM black arm rests, arm rest pads, and sunvisors in the mail, and i know Matt and his Cobra beat me to the punch, but i have one of these coming one day this week as well
t-45.jpg

check back soon!
Chris :nice:

Attachments

• t-45.jpg
    t-45.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 107
Chris, that shifter is BADASS!! I love it. It is quiet as can be. Just make sure the stops are adjusted right, I had my transmission shop adjust them when the trans was on the bench. You are going to LOVE that MGW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I never got back to you on those panels. I just couldn't get rid of those. I see you got some excellent condition ones. I ordered new map pockets on Ebay for Hack Job...50 resto has them too for about the same price though. I even sold my old saggy pockets on ebay for 20 dollars!! I couldn't believe it.

Chris, that shifter is BADASS!! I love it. It is quiet as can be. Just make sure the stops are adjusted right, I had my transmission shop adjust them when the trans was on the bench. You are going to LOVE that MGW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I never got back to you on those panels. I just couldn't get rid of those. I see you got some excellent condition ones. I ordered new map pockets on Ebay for Hack Job...50 resto has them too for about the same price though. I even sold my old saggy pockets on ebay for 20 dollars!! I couldn't believe it.

Thanks Matt!! I'm really excited to have the car tuned and running and to feel the new shifter... I've only heard amazing things from people who have them... MGW FTW!! I actually am kinda concerned about setting the shift stops in the right place, but i guess it will have to be trial and error?? :shrug:

oh and don't worry about the door panels, it's completely understandable wanting to hold onto those, OEM black are getting really hard to find for under like $275... i scored mine for $200 plus shipping... i don't think the guy remembered how good the condition was, they were covered in 1/8" of dust and cobwebs when i got em :nice:

Thanks Matt!! I'm really excited to have the car tuned and running and to feel the new shifter... I've only heard amazing things from people who have them... MGW FTW!! I actually am kinda concerned about setting the shift stops in the right place, but i guess it will have to be trial and error?? :shrug:

oh and don't worry about the door panels, it's completely understandable wanting to hold onto those, OEM black are getting really hard to find for under like $275... i scored mine for $200 plus shipping... i don't think the guy remembered how good the condition was, they were covered in 1/8" of dust and cobwebs when i got em :nice:

No problem. I'm glad you got it. Did you order the 8 dollar boot cover too? I did, but they didn't install it, so in the spring it's going on. After my old shift boot ripped and crap got in there, I'm putting this one on and cutting the factory floor boot to fit snug around it. I drove my car again yesterday and this this is crazy quiet and smooth.

My transmission shop explained that what they do is just insert the bolts and the locking nuts, then they shift the transmission into gear. They place a thin...and I mean THIN feeler gauge between the shifter and the stop bolt and lock it in place there. The gauge was almost as thin as a peice of paper. When it stops you should still be able to pull out and reinsert that gauge. That's how they did it and I have no complaints. They also did the MAC shifter in my old black notch.

That's a fair deal on the panels. I would have wanted around the same 200-250 plus shipping, but I felt bad pricing that much...lol...even though I've been outbid on those black ones on Ebay for that much. :D

REALLY stupid teaser pics & vid

OKAY... so due to delays at the shop my car didn't make it onto the dyno until late this afternoon... i was really concerned with my rockers being loud so they're investigating why i have so much valvetrain chatter as well, he only did a few part-throttle pulls before i got there, and i managed to snap a few pics of the car strapped to the dyno and a really crappy walk around vid where the car's NOT EVEN RUNNING :rlaugh:

so, anyway, i'm going there tomorrow morning to take a video of some full throttle pulls and finally pick the car up and pay the guy... WORST UPDATE EVER, but this will have to do for now :D

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

View attachment 286665

Attachments

• Picture015-1.jpg
    Picture015-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture014-1.jpg
    Picture014-1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture018-1.jpg
    Picture018-1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 74
I got the car back tonight!!!!112!!11@1!!!! :D :D

The car made...

306HP/311TQ

DYNO.jpg

Unfortunately, the car was unstrapped and finished being tuned by the time I went to pick it up, so I wasn't able to get a video of the dyno tune :( It definitely SUCKS but I'm too excited about how the car is running and the numbers it made to be upset. I put about 50 miles on it tonight when I got it home (before it started to snow!!!) and it feels STRONG to say the least. The owner and guy who tuned the car said it was pretty rare for H/C/I cars to hit the 300 HP mark on his Mustang Dyno... he said most range from 265-285. He was impressed with Jay Allen's (camshaftinnovations.com) craftsmanship on the cam, as am I. The setup Jay designed for me was everything he promised and more!

I took a few crappy vids of the car idling in parking lots... better pics and vids coming soon. Now the real question is, how the hell do I get this thing to hook?? :rlaugh:

check em out... i uploaded these to youtube hoping they'd be better quality than photobucket... these DO NOT do the exhaust justice

YouTube - Picture 019.MOV

YouTube - Picture 023.MOV

YouTube - Picture 020.MOV

Attachments

• DYNO.jpg
    DYNO.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DYNO.jpg
    DYNO.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 104