2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

• Sponsors (?)

We pulled the a arms and lowers out.
Started drilling the rivets out, some of the rivets needed a little extra love from the death wheel.

V2fCmfw6TsmwqCrzTljVBA.jpg
7NjcruPvSi+q3Z99BW8hLA.jpg

Got this far and found one arm has a stress crack in it.
I guess I could weld er up but.......want car as safe as can be for offspring to drive it.
I swear nothing is cheap and easy.

Reactions: 1 users
After degreasing and pressure washing, we got after scraping, sanding, cleaning, and another round of degreasing and pressure washing.

Spot painted the last of the Rust Barrier on the rust spots and the son brushed, rolled a coat of Rustoleum on it all the way down and on to subframe connectors.

Trans leaked that puddle since yesterdays pressure washing, didn't even start it. its getting bad.

FMufDFJ%TvGtH1EUcyWRwQ.jpg
rxguU3yLQ4+H96kun6Uvcg.jpg

Looks good! Because I also have to renew the front suspension. Whats the best (and save) way to get the spring out?
Removal of the shock, then support the lower control arm with a jack. Then remove the lower contol arm from the knuckle and lower it with the jack?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you needing to replace the tailshaft bushing and seal?

Replaced seal both ends of trans and they hold.
Looks to be leaking out the shifter mostly but the band adjustment, servo,and pan are leaking also.

Its an 120k mile original I believe. It works but getting long in the tooth.

Whats the best (and save) way to get the spring out?
Removal of the shock, then support the lower control arm with a jack. Then remove the lower contol arm from the knuckle and lower it with the jack?

Yup that is how it happened, but you forgot the 'pop it out with crowbar ' and the boing sound. Wasn't that bad, almost out of pressure then.
Will need spring compressor to reassemble most likely.

Alright, new stuff from Speedway.
2nd day air was cheaper than slow boat, surprise! Still 71.58$ to ship HI though, ouch.
Forget that cracked arm POS, now we got shiny new with urethane.

If these bushings get all squeaky I will swap them for the high durometer rubber in kit I bought first.
These are pre lubed ~ for your pleasure.
Will still be using sway bar, rack mount, and strut rod high D. rubber from kit.

j5q9ynIDQSOWGjDHUUKyWw.jpg
bn8RKAL4Q8eJe6%K8gM+oQ.jpg

Kit did not come with lower control arms as pictured.
Ad reads;

$_1.JPG

The Durometer Ratings of the rubber compounds in the bushings provided in this kit are between 67 and 74.

Polygraphite / polyurethane rates at 85 - 90 Durometer.

This places our rubber compound as a strong contender for up to date performance while retaining the subtle ride and no-squeak suspension that rubber offers.

We understand that many people do not wish to do a poly bushing upgrade for one of a few different reasons.

For all of you , here is the solution to your problem.

--------------------------
Well just have to see how it works out.
I'm excited.
As soon as school and work are over.......

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users