3.8 To 4.6 Swap. Is It Worth It?

NickSpill

Aug 18, 2016
ive seen people do it but i dont know what all would have to go into it. Also would i have to use the 4.6 out of that year mustang or could i use the 4.6 out of another vehicle or another year with my T5 transmission. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Considering running/driving 4.6L cars are cheaper than running/driving V8 Mustang IIs and fox-bodies at this point... No.

I kid you not, I can find running/driving '96-98 4.6L cars in decent for under $3000 all day on Craigslist, but a running and driving 5.0 Mustang II or Fox usually brings twice that unless it's a total basket-case.
If you REALLY want to do a 3.8-to-4.6 swap, you can. You might even be able to scrounge up the parts for just a bit under the price of buying a running and driving 4.6 car, but that's an awful lot of labor to put out just to save a little bit of money, and to be honest, the engine-swapped car will be worth even less when finished than a factory V8 car would have been.

Well what i was thinking is starting with the engine swap then upgrading the engine. Kinda like using it as a project car. I got the car for $500 and it is extremely clean interior and exterior no rust anywhere. So really my question would be is should i use it as a project car and can i use a 4.6 from another car or does it have to be the one from the GT. Thanks!

Considering running/driving 4.6L cars are cheaper than running/driving V8 Mustang IIs and fox-bodies at this point... No.

I kid you not, I can find running/driving '96-98 4.6L cars in decent for under $3000 all day on Craigslist, but a running and driving 5.0 Mustang II or Fox usually brings twice that unless it's a total basket-case.
If you REALLY want to do a 3.8-to-4.6 swap, you can. You might even be able to scrounge up the parts for just a bit under the price of buying a running and driving 4.6 car, but that's an awful lot of labor to put out just to save a little bit of money, and to be honest, the engine-swapped car will be worth even less when finished than a factory V8 car would have been.
Well what i was thinking is starting with the engine swap then upgrading the engine. Kinda like using it as a project car. I got the car for $500 and it is extremely clean interior and exterior no rust anywhere. So really my question would be is should i use it as a project car and can i use a 4.6 from another car or does it have to be the one from the GT. Thanks!