302/AOD installed

3-0-II

Oct 24, 2006
Redwood City, CA
Well I finally got my baby back :) with roller 302 and AOD installed. I've got a B&M Megashifter in there and it is awwwwweeesssommmmeeee

Now... I finally know why hedman headers or anything else for that matter, fit my car... The motor was moved backwards a bit. I can get pics tomorow in the daylight, and you can see the actual mounting place of the motor is moved backwards. That really cramps it up back there :(

Right now, its got two stock lincoln Mark VII or w/e manifolds, facing backwards. I'm going to a 'yard this weekend to get my hands on some stock MII manifolds and see if they fit (the belhousing on an AOD is HUUUGEEE) hopefully from there (and with my newfound ability to weld) i'll be able to fab up some midpipes and hook them up to my old glasspacks :)

As for driving... theres some vibrations (which im assuming is caused by the backwardness of my exhaust). Its really weird. low rpms buzz and it has died on my once at a stoplight (geezz... i never stalled in my stickshift, but i am in my auto??? how does that work LOL) Im guessint its just a testy old carb. Other than that and the fact that my speedo isnt hooked up(i couldnt see at night so i didnt notice, my dash lights are toast, always have been) , torque is great :D

Driving from Millbrae to San Bruno and back to Redwood City, i never had to go above 3K rpm, and thats counting the onramps and on the freeway (where accodring to my dad i was speeding a tad :D ) and the roar??? AWWESOME! I'm savoring the open headers while they last, bec that is a sweet sound. I even revved it by hand with the hood up with my buddies, a bit of flame even came out.

My uncle, owner of the shop that did the swap, even cut me alil break, on the bill. I love my life :)

So right now, all i have to do is finish up my exhaust and then the suspension mods/interior mods can begin. I'm very satisfied with the power, so no mods there for a while (carb scoop for looks maybe... lol)

It feels great to have my II again (after 4 months of driving a 1.6L FWD mazda protege). Already in this one night of having it back ive gotten a good solid rev of acknowledgement for a final body style fox coupe. 5.0s sound great in duet :D

Arin

is

happy!

esp since he also became an extended uncle today, and dominated AP English and AP physics :)

• Sponsors (?)

its late on a tuesday night and I just had an ingenious idea! what if i just stick with those backward Lincolns eh? Oh right... loudness...

BUT what if i kept it like that, and instead of routing my exhuast to the rear (with tons of bends and turns and pipe) why not hook em up almost directly to some flowmasters UNDER THE HOOD and face the exhaust forward with turndowns?! IT's different, and it could work, and it doesnt matter anymore that my engine moved backwards 2 inches! no one would EVER suspect that... hmm.... maybe I do have achance at best of show at the 30th VMOA show in may :grin:

heres my diagram...

View attachment 419123

Grey: motor and radiator (i assume you all know which is which lol)
Red: Backwards lincoln manfolds
Green: NEW piping and mufflers (all hypothetical for now, but i think, if the aprts all line up, i wil do it)

This is something i can fab up myself and learn from and will be REALLY neat too! :-D and hey... if im ever at a red light, and acute little honey is walking by.... a little rev will get more than just her ear's attention :jester: but now im just being desperate (or maybe ive been reading too many of the geezer posts in the BDT thread lol). But in all seriousness, weird oddities like this are what i want. it all adds character, and crazy ideas like this are what i'm all about :D

Congratulations. :nice:
Is there no way to modify your headers to fit?
If you are welding now, maybe you can see a way to cut and weld them to suit your install.
Lets see some pictures. :nice:

lol...where you going to put the mufflers, under the oil pan ?
mabye you could put them in front of the radiator so that when its cold out
you could pre heat the radiator for warmth from the mufflers lol....
the whole reason exhaust routes to the back of the car is because of fumes..
heat would also play a big factor in the summer when its 105 degrees..
the point is its a silly idea... get some sleep ...lol

:bang: chuck is still working on mine! congrats arin. chuck should be done by the middle of january with my engine then i got to put all the interior back in. then get it inspected. i would like to get 5lug on the front too....:nice: :hail2:

There is room inbetween the motor and the radiator for my to mount the mufflers. As for the point... I suppose i could still have the muffers under the hood, just with turndowns facing the rear instead. The only real issue is the space to fit a conventional header in. My engine is not in the stock location, so i have no idea if the stock manifolds will do the job.

And besides, it doesnt get that hot here in redwood city. Ive never seen temp above 100. At the very least i'll be able to fab it up so it points to the side of the car and will be going out rught under the fenders :dunno:

Either way, REGULAR manifolds arent happening without some MAJOR modifications. I'll see if I can rustle up some pics tho.

edit: battery in cameras are dead, so pics will come later. about the CA law... what about that SLR Mclaren or w/e that has the pipes coming out the side of the fender?

mercedesslr.jpg

mine wont even be like that, they'll be closer to fangs in the front of the car lol. there is an empty space below the height of the motor/radiatory, yet from a birds eye view below them. there is only pulleys above. It wont be right under the oilpan OR radiator.

The difference is those came from the factory that way. And your 76 isn't exempt from the smog tests and visual inspection every 2 years. And when you take it in to get it smogged again there gonna want to see all the factory smog parts installed and working.

I have a friend who told me about a specific shop that will "overlook" certain things. I could still put a catalytic converter on there , along with the mufflers to pass the ACTUAL exam. It's a bit odd, i know, but i'm fairly confident i can work this out

hey we all like to be different its what sets us apart... but...
you say the engine is (moved back) 2 inches ? tell me how and why.
i did the aod thing yrs ago, and now i have a t5 with an 89 fox bell housing.
both trannys accepted the factory II manifolds, and it would have been easier if it was moved back 2 in....
it is going to be next to impossible to get an inspection sticker. im sure you know someone but i would also assume that the car has to be in the shop to get one.
meaning ya he will over look some stuff but i dont think he would be willing to
jeopardize the company he works for, or his own job just to put a sticker on your car that you could hear coming from 2 miles away.
do you know what the fine is? in my state its 15000 to the owner and 5000 to the idiot that put it on. would you want your friend to feel that pain in his ass.?
not only that if you get caught speeding or whatever with a good sticker
the question will be ( can i see your inspection report ??)
go ahead dare to be different, alteast till the exhaust fumes surround you interior..lol

There is room inbetween the motor and the radiator for my to mount the mufflers.

You know if you swap the axles and turn the seat around you could make the first rear engine Mustang. Now that would definitely be unique.

I can't believe you're entertaining this idea. Putting the mufflers between the radiator and engine would be difficult. What about the gas line, the fan, the shroud, the radiator, etc, etc? Surely solving these problems couldn't be more difficult then simply putting the engine back in its original location.

d

Well, after reading your responses and REALLY thinking this through (i was really mostly just toying with and enjoying the novelty of this idea) i will only save this idea in my mind as a very last resort and as a temporary solution at that

this weekend im trying to make time to head up to milpitas to a junkyard up there where i received word a V8 MII was. my buddy took pics for me and it has the old manifoldes on there. hopefully it will all work out, otherwise it will be back to ebay for me lol

my dream filled head has realized that you all do have a bit ;) more experience than i. when i first thought this up i said to myself "i bet no one has ever done this before" and as of late i think i see why lol

for now tho, until i can get up there, open headers :) which is fun in itself for a while. it wont be like this forever, so i think i'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Sorry if ive sounded a tad arrogant, but thanks for the input.

this weekend im trying to make time to head up to milpitas to a junkyard up there where i received word a V8 MII was. my buddy took pics

my dream filled head has realized that you all do have a bit ;) more experience than i.

Sorry if ive sounded a tad arrogant, but thanks for the input.

you would probably pay 20 bucks to take them manifolds yourself, 50 if they do it

experience? ive been fixing your everyday vehicle for 22 yrs, but honestly it
doesnt mean a thing. i still learn something new almost everyday, and the
cars ive fixed 5 yrs ago, put it his way i forget more than i remember.

arrogant?? nnnooo i didnt see it that way at all, what i see is a young guy
with lots of thoughts and theorys who is willing to take chances and deal with the consequences at a later time. i could be totally wrong, but i would assume you dare to be different which is why your cruisin in a II!! like i said before
its your car do as you wish...i was just giving you some future thoughts.
i dont listen to many people when it comes to forums and the internet thing...
good or bad idea when i post, what i do is gather the info from different people and use bits and pieces of their reply to come up with my own solution.
please dont take my reply as negative...in my opinion there are no dumb questions... just dumb answers..
whatever you decide enjoy your holidays and happy new year friend..:)

Well when my buddy was down there he said it would cost around $28 for each manfold, to pull it yourself. I dont think Pick'n'Pull does anything for you lol. It's gonna be pouring this weekend so I don't think Its going to happen tho. The next weekend is the weekend before finals so i guarantee i have no time there...

Maybe I'll just quickly weld up a cheap system to point the exhaust towards the sides of the front, just for the sake of keeping hot air away from everything else under the hood. That and some header wrap might make for a good temp solution. I'm looking around for a cheap 2 into one muffler that i can route tubing into, bec it looks to me like only one muffler will fit under the mass of pulleys and hoses, and on the passenger side.

As for why I drive a II... the need to be differnt combined with a love of America's best car ever :D is the answer. This car was a big dream for me, saved up sicne i was around 12 knowing i would not drive anything but a mustang. The II came up later, and i got a sweet deal on it. the rest is history

Thanks alot for the insight, everyone, the reason i post around here is bec compared to everyone else on the board I've had my car a very short time, and have been driving/working on it for an even smaller duration. regardless of what everyone learns on a daily basis, im prettty sure most of you know more abhout this than me, and i appreciate the knowledge i pick up from around here.

Question for you guys...

When I drive my car on the freeway and get off the on the offramp, when there is a stoplight and I come to my first full stop, the entire car dies. No shudder, no vibration just *poof* its off. I'm not exactly sure why. I've solved the problem temporarly by shifting into neautral when i get to 5-10mph and just stopping. I mkeep the rpms up at about 1500 so it doesnt stall, and just let off the gas, shiftin into D and hit the gas again when its green.

Any idea why it's stalling on me? Sometimes it happens again at the next two or even three lights. Could it be the heat from the exhaust? Or is it something else?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

PS: Mustang II w/ no A/C or defroster + rain + night + stalling problem + sensitive steering + nearsighted drive (me lol) = unfun

I hate to be a nag, but yet another question for you guys. You may have noticed the fact that im selling my headmans in my sig, sicne they wont fit.

I have a question tho. I was taking them out of the box again, to take pics for an ad, but when i opened the resealed (by the shop) box i was very puzzled. my passenger side header was all hacked! its in three peices. is it supposed to come like this? i noticed flanges for the two single pipes to go into the main header...

also, the damn thigns are all screactched up and unpretty... grrr...

passengerside.jpg

driversside.jpg

bothheaders.jpg

I dont get it. is it supposed to be like this? if not... there goes my hopes for selling them

forgot to add: the numbers on the drivers side header are

04 06

i know 88350 is the part # for these headers, but what are the 04 06?

Attachments

• passengerside.jpg
    passengerside.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 128
  • driversside.jpg
    driversside.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 104
  • bothheaders.jpg
    bothheaders.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103
those headers are in as many parts as mine are, and yes that is how they are supposed to be. are you sure they wont fit?
PS -- I have a set of stock manifolds -- PM me if you want and we can figure out something. I am at 97420, and they are heavy for shipping. As far as the scratches are concerned, the paint usually burns off in a week anyway. No clue about the 04 06....date code mabye?