5.0 mustang vs. 03 GTI

geez Jongo, why don't you reach behind you and pull your head out of your ass? this is a musclecar forum. you think racing isn't going to come into the discussion? i'm sure you don't talk to people like that in person, because if you did someone would knock your teeth down your throat. this isn't what the forum is for, so why don't you take a shot at ACTING YOUR AGE??

• Sponsors (?)

I honestly think you will get beat... I thought All GTIs were 5 speed... I had a 91 GTI and spanked a modded 93 5.0 vert.... There is alot of hating on the GTI's in here and yes some years are 13second cars..

you nkow im very unsure because i know **** about mustangs and when i bought the car the guy said it had a perfomance cam and "new" lifters...sorry not performance.

I dont know what you mean by "what is a performance cam" because 3 of my friends have mustangs and they say it all the time that they have performance cams...idk what your talkin about, but i dont know mustangs so let me know what they call it if its not the stock cam.

He wants to know what type of cam it is as in its specs etc. The term performance cam doesnt tell anyone what type of cam it is. Most likely the guy who sold it to you is a liar and there probably isnt a aftermarket cam in the car at all, just the stock cam as most aftermarket cams dont have much use in a stock headed 86 5.0. I would ask the seller exactly what cam he installed and see what he says :)

Pre 87 engines used a style of piston that prevented the use of the majority of camshafts with any significant lift..in other words the distance between the valves when open and the pistons was very limited. Many owners selling their cars love to claim mods like aftermarket cam and ported heads...simply because it sounds exciting and it's quite difficult to disprove without engine disassembly. If the previous owner indicate it has an aftermaket cam with a Speed density set up as with the pre 89 cars...I would find him very difficult to believe. As for the lifter..newer is always better, but offers no performance increase over the stock lifters from the factory.Don't be discouraged though..owning that t toped 86 is definately something to be proud of regardless of who is or is not faster...nice choice in car.

I should've told you that my uncle who is a mechanic hasn't looked but believes this engine is from a new 5.0 mustang....idk.... but my friend said that it is a different cam because the rock of the engine is different..see now im lost because i have no clue, "rock" can you tell by that if the cam is changed

And also the guy that I bought the car from said the stock heads are ported....is that possible or no because I have no clue...thanks for the help

i dont really care im just happy i got my mustang and its quick!

Well you just don't know what to believe half the time...my car lost several modifications when the car went from the sellers mouth to my driveway. Included in his non existant mods were...Ecam and ported heads, the reality of it was the car was tired, stock, and plagued with vac line leaks. My best guess regardless of engine swap would be that if the car is still speed density and not converted over to mass air that the cam is a stock pc (which is definately not a bad thing..they sported a nice one during that period) and the heads likely untouched. As I said earlier though..it really doesn't matter what it does or doesn't have, it's still a great car...treat it well and keep the tradition alive. The rock of the engine could be a result of a camshaft...or possibly engine stumble as a result of a broken vaccume line creating a leak, worn or broken motor mounts, etc..most often you can tell an aftermarket cam by the distinctive lumpity lump of the exhaust tone...often, but not always.

Whoever said they run low 14's high 13's stock is hitting the crack pipe:nono: and even lightly modded it's not going to happen.
1985 Volkswagen GTI 9.0 16.9
1988 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.5 16.5
1989 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.8 16.6
1991 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.4 16.8
1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 7.1 15.5
1996 Volkswagen GTI VR6 6.7 15.1
2003 Volkswagen GTI 24V VR6. 0-60 6.5 n/a
2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t (manual) 6.5 15.2
2004 Volkswagon GTI 1.8t (auto) 8.1, n/a

1985 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 14.9 (C&D, Jan. 85)
1987 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 14.4 (Automobile, April 87)
1988 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 15.0 (MT Jan '88)
1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0l Manual 6.2 14.8 (MT Jan '89)
1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 6.4 14.9

These are a list of the quickest passes from magazine reviews and such from
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html .

You have to be Farfromthinkin to drive a Farfegnugen. He will be :owned:

those are the numbers i like to see.

But anyways the car really feels like it does have some internal work done to it but im not sure because of the 4.10 gears. I cant really tell, but my friend has a 91 lx with about 350 to the wheels that he bought stock and did everything himself, he thinks it does have some work done to it but he only has 3.73 i think so that could be why he thinks it is worked..just dont know until i tear down for rebuild in a couple of months when the money is coming in being i'm only in high school so those summer jobs are good

CRASH7772 said:
Whoever said they run low 14's high 13's stock is hitting the crack pipe:nono: and even lightly modded it's not going to happen.
1985 Volkswagen GTI 9.0 16.9
1988 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.5 16.5
1989 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.8 16.6
1991 Volkswagen GTI 16V 8.4 16.8
1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 7.1 15.5
1996 Volkswagen GTI VR6 6.7 15.1
2003 Volkswagen GTI 24V VR6. 0-60 6.5 n/a
2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t (manual) 6.5 15.2
2004 Volkswagon GTI 1.8t (auto) 8.1, n/a

1985 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 14.9 (C&D, Jan. 85)
1987 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 14.4 (Automobile, April 87)
1988 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 15.0 (MT Jan '88)
1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0l Manual 6.2 14.8 (MT Jan '89)
1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 6.4 14.9

These are a list of the quickest passes from magazine reviews and such from
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html .

You have to be Farfromthinkin to drive a Farfegnugen. He will be :owned:

The Automatic will kill the GTI, but a chip in one with that is a turbo will really wake it up, should be a close race.

I raced alittle golf on the street, it was from a roll one of those kinda downshift and go things, he got a jump on me but i started slowly pulling on him, didnt have enough room to though a turn came up, off the line id say youll get him, the guy i raced you could tell he had some stuff done, and he was BUMPING so he had some weight with subs etc. quick little cars.

From what ive heard, just a few little things like boost controller, chip, etc. can wake those cars up. Id like to know the out come of the race, i think you will win though.

86ttopmustang said:
I should've told you that my uncle who is a mechanic hasn't looked but believes this engine is from a new 5.0 mustang....idk.... but my friend said that it is a different cam because the rock of the engine is different..see now im lost because i have no clue, "rock" can you tell by that if the cam is changed

And also the guy that I bought the car from said the stock heads are ported....is that possible or no because I have no clue...thanks for the help

i dont really care im just happy i got my mustang and its quick!

You should be able to tell if its a newer engine, by some little things like if it has the stock intake it will be different then the older styles, and it might have maf, if its the later 5.0's, and if it has a "performance cam" the exhust will probably sound different, like a lopey sound, your idle will probably sound off, etc. I doubt someone would have changed the cam on a speed density car, if I were you, id read alot, and just gain as much knowledge as you can, there is ALOT to be learned and all you have to do is read around. Oh and btw im 17 too.

DMAN302 said:
Well you just don't know what to believe half the time...my car lost several modifications when the car went from the sellers mouth to my driveway. Included in his non existant mods were...Ecam and ported heads, the reality of it was the car was tired, stock, and plagued with vac line leaks. My best guess regardless of engine swap would be that if the car is still speed density and not converted over to mass air that the cam is a stock pc (which is definately not a bad thing..they sported a nice one during that period) and the heads likely untouched. As I said earlier though..it really doesn't matter what it does or doesn't have, it's still a great car...treat it well and keep the tradition alive. The rock of the engine could be a result of a camshaft...or possibly engine stumble as a result of a broken vaccume line creating a leak, worn or broken motor mounts, etc..most often you can tell an aftermarket cam by the distinctive lumpity lump of the exhaust tone...often, but not always.

:stupid: