5.0 mustang vs. 03 GTI

86ttopmustang said:
i never had the engine rebuilt i only bought the car about 3 weeks ago. i plan on rebuilding it but with the newer pistons from like a 91 5.0 since i heard something about the pistons that came stock on the 86 5.0......not sure what it is but someone said that they were different from all of the otther years

any help on clearing this up would be greatly appreciated
I was talking to euphoric..

• Sponsors (?)

just read and budget, exhaust is a good start for mods, but first you should make sure you are getting full power... plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oxygen sensors, air filter (drop in k&n works well). finding out what you have done can help too. also, don't waste money, plan your mods, if doing a mass air conversion(recomended), don't buy a kit w/ a 58 mm mass air, buy a 73mm (one made for 24lb injectors) for instance and 24 lb inectors to match if planning a head/cam/intake swap later on... ask or search here before buying or doing anything to get opinions, the longest subscribing members are the most credible because they generally have heard more stories/tech than others... also doing stuff yourself... say you buy the basic tools and spend 75 dollars, that will save you money by your 4th-6th oil change... nevermind any more complicated procedures. hope my opinion helps!

Decide now if your going with a power adder or NA.

I would look into shift kits, tq convertors, valve body's, ect. Then look at some supension. And get drag radials on the rear.

Stock AOD's are stronger than a stock T5.

Stock AOD's are around one second slower in the 1/4 than a stock T5.

Then look at the motor. My .02 cents.

86ttopmustang said:
I guess since I'm only 17 yrs old everybody hates on me for driving a mustang and thinks that all I'm going to do with it is race and be stupid.

Same here bouth the car before i turned 16 now im 17 but all my uncles had bets on when id crash it and who got the engine when i did lol......and if not crash it when i would lose my liscense.....jus gotta be smart about what ur doin....

i've actually noticed that t-5's take more abuse than aod's...
what i have now in hp/tq never broke my old t-5 and it was mint when removed... my bro killed aod's like it was his job with a basically stock motor.
aod is heavy and creates rediculous drag on the drivetrain...
I would not buy a mustang with an aod unless it was worth doing an upgrade or conversion.

Stock, the AOD and T5 are about equally fragile. Perhaps your brother beat on his excessively, or didn't practice proper maitenance?

The AOD CAN be upgraded fairly cheaply to be a killer street/strip tranny- a $600 Edge Racing torque converter, a $100 TransGo shift kit, and $50 auxilary cooler give you a stout transmission capable of great launches and the ability to go past the 12.0 ET mark fairly regularly. Upgrade it further with a Lentech manual valve body and you are basically worry free.

Swarzkopf said:
Stock, the AOD and T5 are about equally fragile. Perhaps your brother beat on his excessively, or didn't practice proper maitenance?

yea he did, but he also beat on a t-5 the same and it didn't blow up in one trip. but anything can be built, and if you're going to have to take it out anyway, you might as well put something better in.

I also beat a stock 2003 gti w/ my 1994 chevy caprice wagon(4400lbs) with a stock LT1. I love beating people with it (runs 14.7-14.9), they get so angry and think it's modded and stuff, meanwhile it has winter tires rated for only 104mph.

1.8T can have 230 HP for about 130 bucks with a dyno tune and chip. Upgrade the turbo and I would watch out. Those 20th ani. edition rabbits are pretty quick. Handles great too. Friend used to have a stock one. Never raced him.

yea he did, but he also beat on a t-5 the same and it didn't blow up in one trip. but anything can be built, and if you're going to have to take it out anyway, you might as well put something better in.

What's your defintion of "better"?

If it's "effective", then there isn't anything better than a built automatic with a high stall for drag racing.

TrophyHead said:
1.8T can have 230 HP for about 130 bucks with a dyno tune and chip. Upgrade the turbo and I would watch out. Those 20th ani. edition rabbits are pretty quick. Handles great too. Friend used to have a stock one. Never raced him.

84 was the last year for a Rabbit and then they changed body style and the name to a Golf.