700 Horsepower CTS-V vs Bolt on 5.0

Before I tell this story my mods are CARB Certified Araid CAI, H-Pipe (stock cats), Axel Back, BBK 90mm throttle body, throttle body spacer, E85 BAMA Tune (revised like 4 times lol) and stock 3:73 gears on a 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium W/Brembo. I want to know what you guys think happened here. You probably can guess where this one is going.

Okay so the other night I was driving home and I see a set of tail lights tailgating me on the access ramp in Mexico, It being two lane merge I let him go around me, but as he goes around I hear the sound of a modified LS motor blow by me. I decide to drop to 3rd about 50 and chase it down. He begins weaving so I give up (not my thing). Somehow I end up catching up to him without really trying, pull next to him, and asked for a run. He says “You’re car is not worth my time. I have over 700 horsepower.”

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight you’re initiating a race (chase) but when I’m now lined up with you you’re too good for Lucille? In fact, who even says that? I think it was kind of a rude thing to say and it rubbed me the wrong way. So I straight lied to him and said I have 520 to the wheels lmao! He slows to 35 and so do I and down shift to second. When he drops down (automatic) his supercharger was so effing loud it drowned out my almost FBO exhaust (stock headers and cats). And I thought to myself “Oh crap.... What did I get myself into?”
So we take off and something surprising happens. Through all of second and by the time I shift into third and he couldn’t pass me. In fact I’m a half car length ahead. As I approach forth I can hear that thing screaming like a V from hell but he still can’t catch me. Once I was at about 6000rpm in 3rd I knew I would have held him off in 4th as well (you guys with experience know that feeling, you just stronger than the other car) But unfortunately I shifted above 7000rpm like an idiot and it locked me out. But point is Lucille was worth his time. Lol.

So what do you guys think? There’s a few explanation to what happened here. And I would love your insight.

Here’s some options haha

a.) He doesn’t have 700hp (my first thought)

b.) He was playing with me. (Doubt it considering the surprised look on his face and hearing that loud ass supercharger)

c.) Lucille (my car) is actually secretly alive, heard what he said about being a waste of time, and she demanded he put some “Ruspeck” on her name.

d.) Somehow my car reacted to the mods incredibly well and have an unusually high power output. (Same outcome in Mexico with a 2012 Porsche 911 turbo (11.4 1/4 124mph)).

e.) Other.
Sorry no video. Just gonna have to take my word for it. I mean I was just strolling along minding my business. I’m usually not just recording myself driving home.
 
Yeah, something's off here. Your car should be a in the low to mid 12's with your mods. If that was a stock second gen V, it should be in the very high 11's to low 12. So as @Noobz347 said, if it really had 700HP, something broke cause that car would be deep into the 11's.
 
Well not with my mods. I’m pretty heavy on the bolt-ons and my E85 tune. My car is only about 3750lbs with me in it (I’m 150lbs) He’s probably around 4400 with him in it. My mods should have me around 500-520 at crank horsepower. Roughly.
 
Oh and I didn’t explain it was a 2012ish model. Not the newest model. My bad. Lol

He still should have walked you (even stock). He has a much fatter torque curve then you do and even though he weights more, it's not enough of a difference to change that. With your mods and on E85 with street tires and full trim, most guys are running 12.2's. The gen 1 coyote doesn't respond like the gen3 does to E85, you might see a 7-15HP increase when running e85 on a gen1 N/A coyote.
 
He still should have walked you (even stock). He has a much fatter torque curve then you do and even though he weights more, it's not enough of a difference to change that. With your mods and on E85 with street tires and full trim, most guys are running 12.2's. The gen 1 coyote doesn't respond like the gen3 does to E85, you might see a 7-15HP increase when running e85 on a gen1 N/A coyote.

I’d have to respectfully disagree. I’ve seen guys with similar bolt ons (no weight reduction) running 120+ mph trap in the 1/4. Here’s a video below with similar mods. Only real difference is probably the intake manifold. Pretty sure that won’t add 5 mph to a 1/4 mile time. Lol. But naw from my experience it responded well with more air. If I was stock switching I wouldn’t gain hardly anything. Lol
Video below..


View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCKaO1Htrk&t=64s


From what I I can remember a stock 2012 CTS-V barely runs a 115 trap speed stock. Which a 392 scat pack does. And I slightly edged a scat pack when I was on a 91 Tune and H-Pipe only. Adding a CAI, 90mm, a spacer, and E85 should add a fair gain.
 
I’d have to respectfully disagree. I’ve seen guys with similar bolt ons (no weight reduction) running 120+ mph trap in the 1/4. Here’s a video below with similar mods. Only real difference is probably the intake manifold. Pretty sure that won’t add 5 mph to a 1/4 mile time. Lol. But naw from my experience it responded well with more air. If I was stock switching I wouldn’t gain hardly anything. Lol
Video below..


View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCKaO1Htrk&t=64s


From what I I can remember a stock 2012 CTS-V barely runs a 115 trap speed stock. Which a 392 scat pack does. And I slightly edged a scat pack when I was on a 91 Tune and H-Pipe only. Adding a CAI, 90mm, a spacer, and E85 should add a fair gain.


I've seen them run into the 120's stock, but their E.T. was down. Most of the ones I've seen in the high 11's were in the 116-118 range. But regardless, congrats on the kill, I just wouldn't go thinking you're going to take down gen2 CTS-V's from now on, even if they are stock.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MeyHam413
Thank you! Oh by no means do I. I’m just commuting on home from work. Lol.
I damn sure don’t think I’m capable of running with Hellcat, ZL1, 13-14 GT500s. That’s just emotional suicide. Lol


I will tell you this: I own a mostly stock Gen2 V and Hellcats are generally not an issue. In the turns, they're downright comical.
 
I will tell you this: I own a mostly stock Gen2 V and Hellcats are generally not an issue. In the turns, they're downright comical.
I can see that with the right pulley, a few bolt ons, a tune, and the right fuel you’d get pretty good gains considering you’re already boosted.
my best besides the other night was a couple weeks ago against a 2012 911 Turbo. Good thing it wasn’t a dig race otherwise he probably would have gapped me. Lol.
 
I can see that with the right pulley, a few bolt ons, a tune, and the right fuel you’d get pretty good gains considering you’re already boosted.
my best besides the other night was a couple weeks ago against a 2012 911 Turbo. Good thing it wasn’t a dig race otherwise he probably would have gapped me. Lol.


Only if he had his V setup right. By that I mean, in full track mode though the Gen2 doesn't have a specific setting by that name.

You're right about how easy it is to make power in these cars. A simple pulley change on a Gen2 puts it right where the Gen3 is off the lot.