Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for all the replies. I set you on the wrong track. It will not go onto a coupe, I want to use it on my hatch. I used this coupe pictures because they only have a middle section and I thought that the trunk lid has same width.
It is just, that shipping (original rear spoiler or camaro spoiler) is really expensive on this stuff because of the length. This would cost me a leg and an arm... And you know me I'm the guy who likes to go an extra mile or hack up stuff.
The capri spoiler seems to cost less then half of the other solutions because of shipping. And as I said in the beginning: I can send it back if I see that I can not make it fit.
Capri MK3 could also be a solution:
097.jpg
1638599424039.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Same problem with shipping of the thicker 1'' sway bar: will cost me more than two times what the product itself costs. So there will come a custom solution. And it will be adjustable to different spring rates. :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
Update to different construction zones:
- radiator: new one is installed and tight (even weather was nice enough for a test drive)
- trunk lid whistling: adjusted the trunk look, but it is still there. But I identified, where the wheaterstripping is not in contact with the lid.
- rear spoiler: no updates
- adjustable front sway bar: calcuations/thoughts and a sway bar for modification is on the bench.
- tacho: visited my friend with the function generator, but it didn't work out like I wanted, BUT adjusting the poti reduces value on the gauge. Seems I need to put it into the car and adjust it with a running engine.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps some one can help me with the height of the car. I noticed: the car is sitting on the passenger side 10mm higher than driver side. And rear is also 10mm higher than front (which is like I want it). The car settled a little over time, but it is still the same difference:
front driver side: 0mm front passenger side: +10mm
rear driver side: +10mm rear passenger side: +20mm
It is measured on the highest spot of the wheel wells.
I think the front is very soft (sway bar), rear is much more rigid (rear axle). Could this be, that this difference comes form the leaf springs? I removed them from the car, but did not mark them left/right. I installed them perhaps in different spot as they where before...

• Useful
I don't think that the leaf springs are side specific, but maybe they are? I mean it could be that the driver side is sprung so it sits just a tad higher than the passenger side to account for the added weight of a driver. But why do that when the car would then be back to sitting higher on one side if there were passengers?

Or, it could be that you've reinstalled them in their correct locations and the driver side is worn for that very reason - the car didn't carry many passengers over it's life span and the driver side spring always carried a heavier load. :shrug:

I've not paid that close attention to my car to see if it's the same, but I don't think I'd worry much unless it's horribly noticeable to the naked eye. But if it bothers you, you could add a spacer to the front coil and make a new bracket for the rear spring to account for the 10mm difference. :)

I don't think that the leaf springs are side specific, but maybe they are? I mean it could be that the driver side is sprung so it sits just a tad higher than the passenger side to account for the added weight of a driver. But why do that when the car would then be back to sitting higher on one side if there were passengers?

Or, it could be that you've reinstalled them in their correct locations and the driver side is worn for that very reason - the car didn't carry many passengers over it's life span and the driver side spring always carried a heavier load. :shrug:

I've not paid that close attention to my car to see if it's the same, but I don't think I'd worry much unless it's horribly noticeable to the naked eye. But if it bothers you, you could add a spacer to the front coil and make a new bracket for the rear spring to account for the 10mm difference. :)
Your right, I don't think they were marked left/right. But as you mentioned, it could be that the springs settled differently over time. I also think that the tolerances of the body (leaf spring mounting points, wheel well) can be between 5-10mm.
I don't want to swap leaf spring side to side just to solve this mystery. Therefore I have enough projects.

Anxiously awaiting fresh pics!! I really thought hard about buying a set of these for my car, but if memory serves I couldn't find the sizes I wanted. But I think your car is gonna look awesome!! :drool: :hail: :nice:
Design: Minilite
Color: silver with diamond cut lip
Size: 7x15
Bolt circle: 4x108 mm
Offset: 5 mm
Centerbore: 63,4 mm

They also have a US-page, but they do not list all rims: https://maxilite-wheels.com/
They are also shipped from Germany and it seems you pay 80 USD shipping. :shrug:
I don't think they have sizes similar to your current setup (small at the front, big at the rear).
I will (re-)use the 195 50 R15 semi tire, because it is actually wider than 195.
But I think I will do first my custom sway bar and wait for spring to get the tires on the shiny wheels.
I need to get a new scale first, to measure the weight. They feel light.

Last edited:
I'd see if the company offers them in the correct bore size. If they don't, I think I'd have the wheel bored to match the hub diameter. .5mm isn't a whole lot of material, it shouldn't affect the structural integrity of the wheel. That way, when you go to have your brakes replaced at some point, there's no interference like there is now. It sucks but that is the life of a II owner anyway, we seem to always have to find a way to make things work. :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
I need to measure length of hub on brake disk and length of center bore of the wheel (it is long, because of the offset). Perhaps it is sufficient to ream/grind/machine only 3/4th of the bore from the backside and the bore stays untouched where the cap is sitting.
But thanks for all your thoughts!
I'm thinking if I can use a cylinder hone to get the job done...
I will measure the rear axle hubs and the front hubs installed on the car first to get an idea how much clearance is needed.

Guys! It is getting worse and worse. Got a new scale and the wheel has a weight of 8kg. Not 6.7kg as stated in the description!
8.7kg weights the steel wheels on the car. I keep my black steelies... all problems solved and money saved.