Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

I'm also very happy, that things are happening... I get one thing done after another. :)
Here are the pics of the engine bay from the weekend (finished cooling system & serpentine belt):
IMG_20191007_141201.jpg
IMG_20191007_141355.jpg

The distance between pulley and radiator is okay-ish. I don't have enough room to turn the engine with a wrench and socket, but it will work.
IMG_20191007_141306.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The fitment of the exhaust manifolds of my 66 mustang is really good. I will enlarge the exaust pipe diameter to 2,5 inch direct behind the manifolds, this will work fine on this power level backpressure wise.

Here is the driver side:
kruemmerR1.jpg
kruemmerR2.jpg

And co-driver side:
kruemmerL1.jpg
kruemmerL2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your positive feedback, guys!

I like how well the 66 manifolds fit
There would be just on better way: interchange driver and co-driver side and turbo this thing! :rock:
When the distributor and wires are installed I will make furhter images, to see how good the clearance of the sparkplug boots on the GT40P heads is, with the little grinding I did and this manifolds.

I'm not sure about how to "oil priming the engine". I could improvise a priming tool from another distributor to drive the oil pump directly with a drill or I'm thinking about doing it with the starter (with distributor in place)...?!
Cylinder heads and valve train where cleaned, but everything assembled with lube.

I'm still working on the wiring... :doh:
Today I could get 12V to the starter relais from the ignition switch, by bridging the two cables of the starter look override switch in the engine bay... That is allready a small victory for me, because I found where I need to bridge the transmission neutral switch. In the same connector (4 pins) I located also the backup light wires.
What conditions must be fullfilled to get the starter working?
Seat belts locked, Transmission in neutral (or parking)?!

Beside this 4-pin-connector there are 2 single wires which I found nothing about in the documentation?!?
Has somebody an idea what they do?!?

Here is a picture which two wires I mean:
- in red is marked where 6 cables come trough the firewall (4 of them are for transmission neutral switch and backup light switch)
- in yellow and green I marked the two misterious wires (brown and pink with some color dots?!)
Kabel_mod.jpg

I'm about 500 miles away from home otherwise I'd look that up for you.
I do not believe you need the seatbelts locked to run the starter. I could be wrong.

I found in my bookmarks this link about the 74 starter interlock system link
This is where I had the info from, how to override the system by bridging the emergency switch.
I read it again (should have done this first), and saw that you first have take a seat and than buckle up... :oops:
I buckeld up without taking a seat...
I'm completly stoked about the complexity of this interlock system. Especially for 1974!!!

But this two misterious wires still are misterious to me. I'm not sure if they have to do something with emissions or carburator or something like that...
Enzio, I'm not in a hurry. if you could look that up for me, it would be great!

From your description and pictures this is what I think you have.
First the brown wire (if it is just brown and no stripes, dots, or hash marks) will more than likely be all lights that come on when you pull out the light switch to the first detente (click). That would be parking lights, side marker lights, license plate lights, PRNDL on the console, and if you have it the feed to the headlight on warning relay. I may be missing some but you get the idea.
The second wire has to be purple not pink see the picture in post #12. I could not find a primary color pink wire in the entire wiring diagram for 74-76 mustangii's. So going on the premise that the primary color is purple and the hash mark is light blue then it is from the ignition module to the distributor. I've attached photos of the wire highlighted with blue dots.
I'm worried in that this wire should be self contained in the engine bay. But I looked at my 76 in the garage and I have the same wire coming from the connector going to the distributor and the ignition module.
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG-2152wiring_LI.jpg
    IMG-2152wiring_LI.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG-2153wiring_LI.jpg
    IMG-2153wiring_LI.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 129
Enzio, many thanks for your help!
Your right about the brown wire. I measure 12V if the light switch is activated. But I'm not sure what should be attached to this single pin connector...
But I will leave it as it is. Parking light is working anyway. I needed to rewire the parking light from the side markers to the headlights because I have to use european headlights and they have a integrated parking lights; the side markers are now used as additional turn indicator light.

About the purple wire: 74 Mustang has a breaker distributor, that makes me wonder. I will check if the wire is activated by ignition key or something like that. I still think it has todo with engine/emission or something like that. So your hint with the distributor module isn't perhaps that bad...

I checked the plan I found for 75 and there is also a "pink-lt blue" cable for the ignition module:
Unbenannt.JPG

I also checked the distributor from the V6 engine that came with the car, but there is just one wire:
Unbenannt.JPG
But I'm not sure if this is the original distributor, because its a Bosch unit...
I will check in the next days the old carb from the v6 if there is any solenoid except the coke that could connect to the pink/purple misterious wire...
The wired/wierd journey will continue.

For the brown wire; the factory probably installed the front fenders and clip as one assembly with it all wired up and then just plugged the brown wire in at that point to get the lights powered up. Or, something like that.
Good luck and let us know what you found out on the pink/purple mysterious wire.

Good luck and let us know what you found out on the pink/purple mysterious wire.
I just checked the pink/purple mysterious wires voltage: it's always 12V.
I will leave it unplugged. Everything seems to work right. Checked today also the interior lights, warning lights (oil pressure eg), temperature gauge and attached the warning buzzer...