Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

It looks to me to be an aftermarket steering wheel. If you're talking about the horn button, it looks to be for aftermarket steering wheels like the one pictured that it is being sold with. The installation kit that is offered should fit with no problems though. I think Ford kept the same steering wheel mounting nut size and spline count through their entire model lineup.

The adapters look similar, though the Grant part number for the steering wheel adapter for the Mustang II is 3249, and the '65-'69 takes part 3294. Not sure if it would bolt up, or if the difference is related to the horn button setup, which is always good to have, but it's not quite the same despite the appearance. The part number for the Mustang II seems to fit a lot of models & years, but the part number for the '65-'69 seems pretty specific to those models (according to Summit Racing's online catalog). If you like the wheel, worst case you'd need to get a 3249 adapter (~$22) and the wheel should bolt up to that.

Edit: just looked at the listing, they list it for the II, so I'd see no reason it wouldn't fit. use Paypal and return it if that doesn't turn out to be true. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Okay. I have a worn out steering box of a 66 Mustang where I can test fit the MII steering wheel. I'm nerarly sure that the spline is the same. Perhaps there are diffrent adapters because of the depth of the steering wheel...?! Or as you said diffrent horn button...

Or does anybody have a source for a steering wheel that fits definitively? Something like a reproduction cobra steering wheel whould be awesome :)

Motivated by the nice work of 2blue2 on his front suspension, I removed today my front suspension also. That where the last crappy, old parts on the car.
I hope now things will happen faster, then the last months.
I also ordered pypes downpipes in 2,5'' (part number DFM12S) that fit directly to the 289 manifolds (they are supposed to fit in a 66 mustang). I checked fitment with the old down pipes of the 66 mustang I had laying around. fingers crossed that the shiny pipes fit also well...
From the old exhaust I will reuse the overaxle pipes and the rear muffler.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
We are probably doing exhaust next too!
I Want to see pictures of your exhaust routing. 2.5 pipe is fat under these little cars but am gearing up for same.

Its been months but...
Been eyeballing this wheel on Fleabay, they got variations for just mustang logo too.

1970-1977 Mustang Cobra II Grant Black Steering Wheel Black Spokes 13 3/4" Cobra

s-l1600-3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The stock cobra wheel is also very nice and would not be critical on inspection. But I saw the prices on eBay and decided to wait...
I will use the one I have for inspection, and perhaps I will then fit another one later… the steering wheel isn't that part that prevents me from driving ^^

I have a new insulators for the tops of my springs.
The cutlet hose on bottom fell off and I was not sure where it went but I saved them and will put them back.
Now I know where they go :rolleyes: :)
Both those are for anti squeak, I think.

I don't see the cutlet hose in exploded view

QLEi1nwVTZeC0AIMjKPdnQ.jpg

sABY6Lk5T+W+f41XN1URKA.jpg

I just ordered new spring insulators and wheel bearing seals. That should be the last missing parts for the suspension.
The cutlet hoses went already to the bin... either I will leave them away or cut a hose to;) fit.

Everything I reuse is cleaned and painted
index2.jpeg

And here is my new garden sculpture ;)
index1.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone an idea of the right torque spec for the upper control arm bushings? The torque spec in the manual is for the shaft to the crossmember...
The PU buhsings I installed, say that you have to use the OEM torque setting.

I finished the front suspension:
suspension.jpg

And I finished also the power steering hoses and installed everything (by the way BMW E36 power steering fluid reservoir):
power_steering.jpg

I need to get the wiring done for a "clean" look… But it seems progress is raising up with warmer weather.