Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

Car is back on the ground. 5mm lower in the front than back. It seems somebody measured before doing this... :jester:
It's raining and raining here. Complete :poo:ty weather since weeks. Because of my small garage I need to drive the car outside to get many points off the todo list... so lets hope for a dry saturday

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Finally I did many small things on the car in the last two weeks.
Car started after 6 months immediately.
Everything of the electric system is working as it should (lights, thermal switch for the e-fan, 14V charging voltage etc). Creeping current is 30-40 µA, which is so low that I doubt it, but perhaps it is that good (?!).
I had contact with the registration office about licence plate size. Because of the small space for the rear licence plate, it is very likely that they will allow me to use a smaller license plate (255x130mm) for light motorcycles/scooters in the back. In the front I need to use the standard license plate size of 520x110mm which fits just fine in between the bumper overriders. I just need to think about a bracket.
I want to look trough the carburetor and ignition setup again, just to be sure. And than it seems I need to face TÜV... the final enemy.

Reactions: 1 users
The bracket bolts to the underside of the bumper. Sorry this is the only pic I have that shows them still on.

1598029821911.jpg

g

I hard heavy ominous chords reading this line.
DA DA DA DAAAAAAAA!
But isn't extra_stout in Germany? Their license plates are about a yard/meter long.
Yeah, they are but like he mentioned there is a shorter version for trailers dand motorbikes maybe he can get approved.

Reactions: 1 user
I always figured those license plate on the front were screwed to the bumper cover, no bracket
I made a license plate from cardboard in 520x110mm (not a meter, but half a meter!) for the front and 255x130mm for the back. The 520 mm fits just fine between the bumper bars, so they will never give me the approval on the front. Hence I will screw it directly to the bumper cover/plastic that it sits flush to the top of the bumper. This looks best to me.
The 255x130mm looks also very nice in the back. I think I will get an approval for that. If not I need to put 520x110mm also onto the bumper, but that looks :poo:ty with the empty "license plate pan"...
But do not count your chickens before they are hatched.
DA DA DA DAAAAAAAA!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm so excited: tomorrow my car will show up at TÜV. Last friday the owner of a work shop specialized on US cars picked up my car and he has a TÜV guy who is working with him and who is familiar with US cars. He said he don't think there will be problems with the mods. So let's see...
By the way he is doing crazy stuff: race cars, dragster (he has a funny car), restomods and NOS restorations. On of the top addresses in Germany and only few miles away. Okay crazy over here, not in north america :)

• Wow
TÜV had nothing to complain about the car. Paper work still needs to be finished... Papers are the last thing that is missing for registration. I already have a license number reserved... :cool:
Seems I need to wait for the first drive till next week.

Reactions: 2 users
TÜV had nothing to complain about the car. Paper work still needs to be finished... Papers are the last thing that is missing for registration. I already have a license number reserved... :cool:
Seems I need to wait for the first drive till next week.
Let's hope your speedo doesn't crap out on you!

My car is on the road! :cool:
Picked up today the papers and drove to the authority. Got a small rear license plate on the back and a yard long standard European one for the front. Bolted the plates to the car and did my first ride back home from the shop where it was for TÜV. Got the first thumps ups...
Tomorrow I think I will do some overtime compensation and do the first longer ride.
The car feels and sounds interesting. The semi-slicks have extreme stiff sidewalls and I think they need also to wear in more than normal tires. Exhaust is present but not annoying. The dB killer are still installed... so there is potential for more.

started today to look trough the papers. The car has 151kWs in the papers which is 202 German Pferdestärken which are 199 American HP. I'm wondering if they made a dyno run, because the number looks realistic to me and because the 76 engine offically has 142 Pferdestärken. The engine could make around 250 HP on the roller dyno I guess, but only with good tuning and with free flowing exhaust (300 HP on engine dyno). I have the dB killers in the exhaust which are a big restriction and also the 289 exhaust manifolds. I know a guy who has tested on the roller dyno how much the output is effected by the same dB killers: 25-35HP (but with a better engine, AFR165 and headers).
So I think this makes kind of sense. I need to talk to the guys if a dyno was made...
And the car can make idling at 3300 RPM 98 dB(a) so there is potential that I can remove the db Killers without getting into problems with the police (this is a thing in some cities).
And of course I will make pictures!

Guys! Many thanks for all your help! Especially moral support. Took way to long...