Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

Whats the v8 on license plate? Just4fun ?
4fun
My 66 coupe had V 289
Every number that referred to 302 or 5.0 where not available or i didn't like them. So I found a combination with V8.
Our Volvo also has a plate with V7 (obviously V70 model) so I want to keep this schema.
V6200 or V6000 would fit an LS2 (6000cm³) or LS3 (6200cm³)...:chin
V8 plate is going to get him in trouble with the environmental police. That car pollutes for ten cars in Europe
VW diesel?!? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I was driving yesterday and fixed some issues. I only put 2 of the 4 bolts on, that hold the T5 shifter assembly :doh:
It was fixed in some minutes. I went also went to the car wash the first time, the car needs still some polishing.
The car drives nice. The combination of stock springs with PU bushings, stiff side walls and 50 tire section is awesome. It has a ton of grip and the steering is insane direct. Also the VW Polo power steering pump works very well with the fox steering rack and the small steering wheel.

I also wired the lambda sensor up to see where I'm with carb tuning. I'm using a small band sensor, because it is cheap and you only need to hook it up to a voltmeter. If the voltage is between 0,4 and 0,8V your alright.
Seems that my primary jet size is to small. I have installed 64 jets (67 is stock) and if I drive at constant speed it reads 0V (lean). On slight acceleration or hard acceleration everything is fine (its rich and no bog). I think accelerator pumps and power valve are on the safe site.
I also have a little bog, when going from closed throttle to slightly open. I think this could also be related to the transfer slot opening, but I'm unsure how big the influence/amount of fuel from this circuit is in relation to the fuel main jet. Any knowledge about that?

Reactions: 1 user
Bogging is usually a sign that the accelerator pump isn't being actuated right away which causes a lean condition. The pump should shoot fuel the instant the throttle is moved, so you'll want to adjust that if there is any kind of hesitation with fuel delivery. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I checked the timing and retarded the timing a bit and reconnected the vaccuum advance (was disconnected and closed, because of knocking, when intake manifold wasn't tight).
acc pump is fine. on medium to hard acceleration car runs rich and pulls hard (!) without bogging. At idle it is also a bit on the rich side. But if I open the throttle just a bit for slight acceleration or if I'm driving at constant speed car is lean. With the vacuum advance it is much better, but a little jiggle is still there. I think it needs larger primary jets. As far as I understand idle and transition circuits work mainly if manifold vacuum is high, so I don't think I have a problem with the transition slot.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I had 2 hrs to spent on the car:
I filled up 1 qt of cooling water (no leaks, hope this is just from venting)
changed the main jets from 64 to 67 (stock size)
retorqued the intake manifold bolts again ( :poo:ty print o leak!)
brake master cylinder is leaking from the cap. It's slightly and I cleaned the gasket area and I tried to bent the holding clip to get some extra clamping force. Hope this solves the issue. Any other recommendations? @Enzio didn't you have a similar problem?!
Sadly it started to rain so there was no test drive...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Test drive happened today! 67 primary jet size is very good. It is still a bit lean at cruise, but no bogging or anything. Readjusted the idle mixture screws with vacuum gauge and the car runs awesome. Idle is very, very smooth.
brake master cylinder is still leaking... :fuss:

I was last week with my car at a surveyor who did a value check of my car, which I need for my insurance. This week I will get the document and the value.
Weather outlook is good for the next days, so I hope I can take the car for my first longer ride.

I have been watching your build a little. You did well and the car was in great shape to start with. I also like your choice of parts. You need no advice from me. I am just about to show you MustangII guys what the alignment tool looks like. It will be to a guy like you that I give mine someday. Good job Mustang Master. We used to joke about that body sealer Ford used. It was toxic waste, they mixed it with asbestos and added tar.

My gauges don't move free. They get stuck and only hitting onto the gauges allows to get the right reading. How to solve this? removal of the instrument cluster and WD40?
Unfortunately I do not think your gauges can be fixed. You will need to replace them. The pot is what will be sticky. You could try to push and pull on the needle shaft a bit and lubricating it with electronics cleaner.

Do you mean the speedometer? Mine would do that. I ended up just getting a replacement, but I intend to really look into what it'll take to make it work again at some point. Finding replacements us only going to get more difficult as time passes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Like I said you will probably have to replace those two gauges
All you can do is lightly wiggle the potentiometer shafts around a bit and spray some electronic cleaner in the housing
The gauge shafts are probably a little rusty from the car sitting
I was driving yesterday and fixed some issues. I only put 2 of the 4 bolts on, that hold the T5 shifter assembly :doh:
It was fixed in some minutes. I went also went to the car wash the first time, the car needs still some polishing.
The car drives nice. The combination of stock springs with PU bushings, stiff side walls and 50 tire section is awesome. It has a ton of grip and the steering is insane direct. Also the VW Polo power steering pump works very well with the fox steering rack and the small steering wheel.

I also wired the lambda sensor up to see where I'm with carb tuning. I'm using a small band sensor, because it is cheap and you only need to hook it up to a voltmeter. If the voltage is between 0,4 and 0,8V your alright.
Seems that my primary jet size is to small. I have installed 64 jets (67 is stock) and if I drive at constant speed it reads 0V (lean). On slight acceleration or hard acceleration everything is fine (its rich and no bog). I think accelerator pumps and power valve are on the safe site.
I also have a little bog, when going from closed throttle to slightly open. I think this could also be related to the transfer slot opening, but I'm unsure how big the influence/amount of fuel from this circuit is in relation to the fuel main jet. Any knowledge about

Reactions: 1 users