Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had the time to plug away like you are. I cant wait to get just my subframe connectors on, let alone my jacking rails.

If you notice, most people on here who accomplish a lot either have no children yet or their children are nearly grown and out of the house. For those of us in family stages of life, oh well....

Joe

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So I'm getting these tomorrow to make the car a five lug roller.
IMG_0868.JPG

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/wto/d/17-mustang-wheels-with-tires/6690500653.html

These are actually going on my son's mustang and I'm taking his old ones. He could use a new set of tires.

His are the 2009 16" version of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just spent the last two hours getting a new phone.

I got an iPhone X. What a difference! I had a 6. Big jump in technology.

Of course that means that I wasn’t in the garage doing what I needed to be doing.

It really doesn’t matter how late I do the undercoating, it just MUST be done today.

So, I’m sucking a beer down and playing with my new phone right now. lol

Maybe later I’ll post new iPhone X pictures for y'alls perusal.

Reactions: 1 users
I did it, I went out to the garage and got the stuff under the pan scuffed and sprayed with undercoating.
0CFCCD39-B43F-4955-BF73-E823F31823B6.jpeg
413051A0-3A6E-41C4-86CE-DB952F3A3142.jpeg

I also scuffed and sprayed the cs.
E16EAD4B-BAE6-4C5E-B5EA-13CEDF5B367A.jpeg

Tomorrow I weld!

You may notice the grey color. This is a good thing, green covers quick on this color.

Reactions: 1 users
Well crap!

I didn't think of everything!

I want to make the undercarriage green, hence the color of the undercoating. I need to spray the back sides of things before I weld in the cs.

Guess what I don't have here? My mini-jet paint gun, nor cups to spray it with. Maybe I can see if my manager will mind me picking it up from work. The security system there has different rules for entering the shop on sundays.

I'll let y'all know.

I go to to the shop.

I shook up the green, got some sealer and my gun. I'm ready to go.

I just want to wait till ten before I click on the compressor. Keep the savage beast appeased that way.

So , by lunch it should be green and relatively shiny under there. Shiny as the texture of the undercoating will allow.

By the way, the undercoating isn't really undercoating. It's rocker chip guard. I feel confident in topcoating chip guard without worrying about peeling.

By the time I get back from getting the new wheels this afternoon, the paint should be hardened enough for me to consider welding.

Reactions: 1 user
Good thing I read to the end before posting. I was going to ask WTF would you cover that beautiful black POR 15 with that ugly ass gray rocker chip guard!!????
So body color UNDER the car? Over the top Dave! Again, I just hope one day the paint fairy shows up and the TOP of my car can be one nice uniform color. (well maybe some black accents too)

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I scuffed the undercoating with a red scotchbrite, blew it all off, then I used a tack rag on it.

BTW, perfect day for me to do this out in the open today. Absolutely no wind! Ask how often we get days like that in oklahoma.

Anyhow, I sprayed a sealer over it and then sprayed the color. I'm letting that dry right now and then I'll go clear coat it.
D71310AE-B083-424B-A225-F5CD1CC17824.jpeg
525CE18C-91DD-4BAE-BD6F-F3B6B76B53D9.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I went and got my son's new wheels.

The guy selling them is a guy named Jimmy Parsons.

So we get to talking about my project and he asks if I want to see some of his work, why not?

Turns out this guy is Jimmy Parsons the race car driver from the sixties and seventies! Real nice guy, Spectacular work shop!

His wife is a nurse and fabricates cars on the side. I mean fabricates!

A chopped and channeled '57 chevy with a c6 chassis under it here, a totally btchin' split window bug over there. Old race cars in stunning condition all around, a hot rod t-bucket with a wild flathead engine that he drove from coast to coast!

His wife is a bit of a mustang nut:nice:. She loves fox bodies, yet she showed me a '66 she totally customized.

They're both near genius in metal work.

Wow, I need to get to know them better.

Again, to top it off. It's Jim Parsons! I remember him from when I was a little boy.

I didn't feel right about asking to take pictures, so nothing to show.

What a cool craigslist add that turned out to be.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.