Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

We shall rename you Gandalf!
A8E01113-24E0-45E7-A79C-D7A6AAD2DF87.jpeg
Nope, General karthief will do, or J.R. or hey you, just don't call me after midnight.
Or shirley

• Clever
Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I’m going to start today.

I just got through getting groceries and cutting the grass. I want to cool of for a minute or two. THEN I’ll go work on Booger.

I‘m going to start slow on my commitment of what I’ll do. I’m going to get the right side chassis support tack welded on. Maybe I’ll go further, but I’ll be pleased with myself just getting it in place and tacked down.

Figured I better start all this again with the traditional rituals..... :nice:
FE2ED3FA-5C40-4E16-A270-14F0040C6C9E.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Alright, I went out to the garage and cleaned a little at first. Seems I have a rather large family of spiders taking up residence in and around Booger! Not no more.....:flame:

I got my mig all set up, plugged in and turned on. Turned on the gas, wait a minute, it’s already on!:fuss:

My son had borrowed it to weld something a couple months ago, damnit. I had a little gas left, enough to tack the support in there. I’ll get a new bottle tomorrow.

My first welds were a little sloppy, what’s new there, lol. Got better real quick though, I also still have my handy grinder too.

You know what? This was a lot of fun.

It’s a little hot today, so I sweated. :cry:We have a cold front rolling in this week, that’ll be nice. We’re talking 50’s for highs on wednesday!

Anyhow, picture of it on Booger. Pretty dang solid with just the tacking.
60CD1A82-B51B-426D-83C4-972F3EEB329C.jpeg

As soon as I get the new bottle of gas I’ll do the perimeter welding thing and do a little grinding and get it coated.

First chance to use my new welding helmet for serious stuff on Booger, it’s really a nice welding helmet.:nice:
8B4F461B-C7C4-4BAC-AA64-8CAFE1769208.jpeg

Im really looking forward to having this part completed, I’m pretty excited about the new bracing I’ll put in where the upper SRA mount is.

• Hell Yeah!
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
After welding yesterday I spent several hours researching the whole square tubing versus round tubing topic.

For the needs I have for support, I don’t really see any specific benefit for round tubing. Which is lucky since I have quite a bit of square stock that I got free, lol.

I have a good mix of 2” and 1” stock. I’m thinking I’ll make the upper control arm brace out of 2”. I’ll need to get some fairly thick sheets of steel to make the mounting plates that will weld up to the rear subframe (Though at this stage I guess I don’t really have front and rear subframes anymore, but you get the idea).

If y’all got a view on the type of tubing, chime in, I’d like to hear what you think.

For some reason, I'm more worried about the material that you use for the plates. (edit: 'worried' is a poor word choice. Let's say that my brain drifted to the mounting plates over the brace.)

Are they to be mild steel or something more rigid like chrome molly?

Round tube:
-Lighter per foot than square when compared same size/diameter and wall thickness
-You can bend it easier/safer than square
-Better at handling torsional forces
-Available in different high quality alloys and DOM

Square tube:
-Harder to find high quality alloys in square (like 1020)
-Heavier per foot
-Better at handling true bending and tension forces
-Typically ERW

If you can find a comparable high quality alloy and manufacturing process in square tubing, nothing wrong with using that IMO. Anything suspension or safety related should always use the appropriate high quality alloys and higher quality manufacturing processes. Chassis work with square is just fine.

*Fixed to make @Noobz347 happy :hail:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.