Progress Thread 85 Mustang newbie trying to be a good Dad

• Sponsors (?)

Ok the people on here are quickly making me like the Ford folks. My Dodge forum guys are such smart asses they are hard to get the information you need, cause nobody makes dodge parts and you have to be part horder to build one. I really appreciate this forum. I am going to a guys house tomorrow to get every stinking wire out of an 83 and spindles from a 94 which my son says we need to do the 5 lug conversion, and I believe a dash as well, we will see what else we find. The boys is already spending the savings on his wishlist on LMR. Gotta love it. I think I will start a build page and tell the whole story, its a good one. Oh and the packrat and his trail are long gone from the car, just his damage remains... well and the occasional corn stash. Thanks again guys!
When you get the 94 spindles grab the proportion valve,I used the guts out of a 95 and put them in my pvalve, you'll save money and the hassle of trying to figure out the right setting on an adjustable one. Check the tech articles here for five lug four disc swap,and also 3g alt. Upgrade.
Good hunting.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a thread, the technical/how section, lots of tips and tricks from members that have been there done that, and no conflicting info too.
And then there is 'the mighty B cam'

Gonna try to turn this into my build forum. My son is very mature and intelligent for his age, though he can be a knuckleheaded teenager on demand! This all started out with him getting rear-ended and totaling the "first vehicle" we had bought for the kids to drive (2001 Chevy short bed step side 4X4). So we then bought Ranger Rick which was my first Ford. He promptly wrecked it being a teenager at our local reservoir. I then explained how he needed to get a job and fix the truck himself. "You have the Google" I believe I said. Well, he did exactly that. Sourced parts, ordered them, and paid for them. Then he disassembled the truck and we painted the parts and he re-assembled the truck. BUT I was scared of the airbag install for a 15-year-old, so I paid the local body shop to install that for us. To which they saw his work and gave him a job at the shop, where he worked last year. In this process, he incessantly badgered me to get rid of the Ranger and buy him a Mustang that was sitting at my sister's house that belonged to one of her stepsons. This is where it gets interesting. I knew I did not want another Ford, so I threw out that I would buy an old car to restore if it was interesting. I knew there was no way in hell he could find a Ramcharger that wasn't a pile of rust. Well in a couple of days he did exactly that. So we went to check it out, and I bought it. We then set out to restore the thing together, and well we did that in just under a year altogether. But he never stopped with the mustang despite me teasing him about it... Brutally teasing him! What he didn't know is that his mother and I watched him work every single day at the body shop and not complain too much so we decided to reward the hard work, secretly. Momma was thinking she liked the way the Ramcharger was turning out (for herself to drive), and well I called the mustang owner and bought the car for $2,500. But Eli did not know this! Every time he went to my sister's house he would go out and take two laps around the mustang and dream as I rolled my eyes. Well as fate would have it, literally the same day I bought the mustang as a surprise, he wrecked that damn Ranger again. See the result above. So he had to save up buy parts and redo everything (except the airbag) and he did, but this took several months. So we had to sit on the surprise during this time until the Ranger was fixed and we promptly sold that thing! It looked great as you see in the picture below but was just bad luck.
So now the fun part, time to give him the car. It is demolition derby night right next to my sister's house (fairgrounds) and Eli and his gearhead buddies were headed to the derby, so I took the morning off, hauled ass over there and loaded up the mustang and pulled it back home and hid it at my office warehouse. While he and his buddies went to the derby that evening we pulled it out by the barn and put it under a spotlight for when they got home. My sister knew he was coming and that he was going to show it to one of his buddies who may want to buy it since he knew I wouldn't let him have it. Well, when they got there my sister and her husband laid it on thick that they had sold it and he should have bought it blah blah, and he got pretty upset about it and was a little poopy pants. Until he got home that night and in front of all his buddies there it was under the spotlight waiting for him, with a card that said: "We love you anyway". Needless to say, he was pretty stoked, called Sis and apologized. So that brings us to about a month ago when we pulled it in the barn and he tore it apart, packrat issues and all. Now we are learning what all has to be done to it and sourcing parts and gonna get after this thing. We have placed the order for the Blueprint engine (see ya in 5 months) sourced a wiring harness, dash, and some other stuff. Thanks for sharing our story. I try to keep the kids busy while learning something valuable helps keep em out of trouble, mostly. For me, the best part is the Ford Chevy fight. My Dad was a Ford guy, which meant I had to be a Chevy guy. Keeps it fun. Thanks for tolerating me, I do love cars but the cars wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't for the people you get to share them with along the way.

Ranger Rick.jpg
IMG_20210531_111840070.jpg
IMG_20210116_160715034.jpg
IMG_20210812_091456234.jpg
IMG_20211210_173958243.jpg
IMG_20210807_205011870.jpg
IMG_20210807_205349642.jpg
Damn Rat.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_20211226_150946679.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Great story!! And if the Mustang turns out anything like those trucks (minus the wrecks) you’ll be in good shape! Nice work!

Eli better be careful with that posi rear end. When I got mine a couple times I spun it around on a main road. So glad I didn;t hit anything, and I would never do that anymore. I don't know dad. Eli better not crash another because he's going to have a hard time getting another.

Matt at foxresto.com has lots of used and NOS parts especially for the 84, 85 and 86 Mustangs. Give him a call if there are any hard to find parts you are looking for.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Matt at foxresto.com has lots of used and NOS parts especially for the 84, 85 and 86 Mustangs. Give him a call if there are any hard to find parts you are looking for.
Thanks..... sometimes I forget about that sight. Just ordered a lower shifter boot from him.

Very nice Ramcharger. I have a friend restoring one as we speak.

Just have a few pieces of advise for the mustang. I'm no mustang super pro like some guys here but I've been around the block with more foxes than I can count.

1. Use the factory clutch and fan. It's plenty strong and capable. The electric ones just add a bunch of stuff that can fail. If going electric use Ford Contour / mercury cougar fans. I use a 2002? cougar dual fan from the JY that keeps my turbo car cool in 95+ degree heat. I only have them because I can't fit a stock one anymore. I've lived and learned. I have no problems from them but have many attempts with electric fans that ended bad over the years. Worse was flexalite...and those cheap parts store controllers with the temp bulb that sticks in the radiator.

2. While you are there change out the k member. It's what makes the earlier suspensions hard to deal with and limit front wheel width and fitment. The k member is narrower on that car. MM would be the best. I have been using AJE for the last 15 years with good results ( they do have some complaints that I never ran into with their old design or the new one ) If going MM they want you to use 96+ spindles.

3. Change the rear to an 8.8. In 85 it would've come factory with a 7.5. They didn't run the 8.8 until 86.

4. With front brakes from a 94 I'd grab the rear, too. If converting rear to 8.8 and disc's I wouldn't recommend anything other than fox width axles. The rear housing is the same from 86 to 98. You'll want fox length axles for wheel fitment. Nothing like not being able to get a nice deep wheel back there. Northracecars.com has brackets that bolt sn95 brakes for 8.8 fox length axles. The fox length 5 lug axles need to have the disc brake eccentric ( round part in the middle of the lug studs ) or rotors won't fit. There are two different sizes. Upgrade to a 93 cobra booster ( best done with engine and dash out ), 93 cobra master, and adjustable proportioning valve.

5. Coilovers on the front are the best modifications I ever did. Car feels so much better. If you don't change the k member, control arms, bump steer kit, and caster / camber plates it will be tight on an 85. I used UPR through LMR for the plates, coil overs, and bump steer kit. The cheap way is to use regular Monro sensatrac ( black ) struts and leave the sticker on. Add one piece of masking tape from sticker edge to sticker edge around the tube . This is the perfect uniform thickness for the coil over tube to slide on. Cheap but works. I'm not counting you or your sons pockets. Maximum motorsports is the best brand for all these things and available as a kit from LMR. MM recommends using 96+ spindles with their k member because of special geometry that really works.

5. Get a good AFR wide band gauge. It'll help when setting up the carburetor. I used to go by feel but the gauge makes it so much easier. Most use AEM.

6. Last but not least. You will need full length subframe connectors - the ones with the seat bolt supports. I used BBK but MM is the best.

I'm sure there's more. This will be a nice one to see come together based of the previous vehicles. These cars were money pits years ago. We'd drop thousands in a car you could easily replace with 3k. Now with prices increasing its finally worth it to put real money in these cars.

The brakes on that 85 are the same as the 4 cylinder and aren't enough. Even the factory 87+ gt brakes will fade quickly. A bunch of people have upgraded the 94 calipers to the PBR calipers from 99 to 04 v6 and gt mustangs. They bolt right on.

That's all I've got for now.

• Agree
So the engine we pulled out of the 85. Stock 5.0 engine turns free, i bet the thing would run with a fuel system clean out. But we bought a full dressed crate engine for the 50K mile warranty. That said, what is this thing worth? Blueprint engines told me they are getting scarce but also said they would not buy/take it because they are casting their own blocks now... Anyway looking for opinions of a fair price.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20211226_155451070.jpg
    IMG_20211226_155451070.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 75
I've sold those valve covers alone for $150-200 all sandblasted and cleaned up. What parts of the engine are you keeping?

It probably would run fine if you messed with it a bit, but as a non-running core engine, it won't be much. Maybe $400-500ish and you might struggle to get that since it's an earlier non-EFI engine. Parted out, it would likely fetch you more, but it will involve time and you'll still be stuck with parts you can't sell, like the E5TE heads that are likely on there. You can probably get $100-200 for the short block. The accessory brackets have value. The intake manifold and carb (if original) have value.

I've sold those valve covers alone for $150-200 all sandblasted and cleaned up. What parts of the engine are you keeping?

It probably would run fine if you messed with it a bit, but as a non-running core engine, it won't be much. Maybe $400-500ish and you might struggle to get that since it's an earlier non-EFI engine. Parted out, it would likely fetch you more, but it will involve time and you'll still be stuck with parts you can't sell, like the E5TE heads that are likely on there. You can probably get $100-200 for the short block. The accessory brackets have value. The intake manifold and carb (if original) have value.
I need to keep the accessories/brackets off the front except the water pump. I ordered the below engine.
https://blueprintengines.com/produc...-ford-dressed-longblock-carburetor-bp3060ctcd
So everything the boys need to make it go. And ya they are quite the motley crew! There are more that hang around the shop just had to work that evening. Good fun! Lots of Mullets, which is fitting in an 80's mustang. Hell i may put it on a more sturdy stand and fire the thing up and see if i get any takers, locally. Just not sure what to ask if it is running. see if it is worth the time.

I'm also restoring foxbody mustang with my son - our project is an '86 t-top.

Check out this site for all things wiring - they make some harnesses that will work for your '85:

I'll probably go this route pretty soon when we get to wiring. Good luck and have fun!

Derek1993, from all that I have seen and learned. If you are into this kind of thing, and find restorable cars and have the means, grab em and store em till you get to them. They are getting harder to find. Enjoy the shop time with the boy!