Engine 87-93 Stock Alternator woes

stangone50

Mar 21, 2016
Asked about this on another forum and got 0 feedback.
Basically a correct alternator is no longer available for these cars. If you go to any parts site in the world you will only find incorrectly clocked alternators for the 87-93s.
The ONLY correct alternator I could find is one listed at autozone for a 90 f-150 xl with the 302 5.0.

The autozone part number is DL7734. There is no reference to an OEM part number regarding this part that matches the original Motorraft part. I cant even find it on Fords parts website.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Where's the question? lol

If it's only a question of the clocking position of the alternator then they're still available. A quick search on O'Reilly's website lists 10 different units.

Another quick search on Autozone's website lists 7.

And they list 12 remanufactured units and 10 new on rockauto.com.

These searches were under the impression that you were looking for one for a 5.0.

If your question is indeed about the clocking position, I'm sure the same alternator is used on different models and those models may or may not require different clocking positions as well. So, it could be luck of the draw if you actually get one that's clocked in the correct position depending on who assembled them that day. It's not hard to re-clock an alternator, I'd venture a guess that suppliers make an assumption that if you can change an alternator you can also re-clock it to work.

My question was what is the Motorcraft oem part number for the duralast DL7734 alternator.
I have looked at all the ones you linked and yea they are all clocked incorrectly. I dont think it has to do with luck. They are all listed as being clocked at 10 and should be 2. Ive been to multiple parts stores just to look and check them. Ive taken apart most of my engine but never clocked or opened an alternator. I think its a bit more involved than the 2 alternator bolts. I read you have to be very careful with the brushes but idk. I believe that could void the warranty. Though I may be able to do it, I shouldnt have too. And not everyone can or would attempt it.

Is there an Auto electric rebuild shop by you?? These shops are getting harder to find but there are a few around still... Take your old one there or call them and ask if they will re clock a new one for you.......
I recently had my original starter and alternator rebuilt by a shop in Tampa.......

Yes, the brushes can be a PITA. My only real experience having to do this was when I upgraded my II to a 3G alternator, the connections weren't even close for me. But I've had problems with them before and don't really have an answer for how to go about it other than to take your time and be careful. Essentially, you lift the housing JUST enough to rotate it if needed. There are generally 3 bolts around the perimeter of the casing, so you have 2 other options as far as where to locate your connections. You end up just choosing which direction works the best if you can't get them exactly where they're supposed to be compared to the original.

Here's a short YouTube video on the process. If memory serves, since I'm not near my 87 and haven't messed with it in a while, I think this is even the right alternator. :shrug:

View: https://youtu.be/nlK806ACkf4

Now, as far as part numbers and all of that goes, I can't really help. Maybe someone else can, there are a couple of members here that have dealt with part number cross-referencing. Maybe @MustangIIMatt or @7991LXnSHO can help more so than I can.

Last edited:
Alternators straight from the fox-body experts:

As far as re-clocking an alternator voiding the warranty on a parts-store rebuild, it shouldn't. Hell, we used to re-clock them for the customer right there in the store if all we had in stock was the right alternator but clocked incorrectly (especially common with the GM "CS" alternators). Of course, that was back before some moron in Memphis Tennesee got the bright idea that they didn't need people with automotive knowledge to sell parts and the other big chains copied Autozone's approach. Twelve years ago the rebuilt (excuse me, ahem, remanufactured) alternators being sold in all of the parts store came from one of two sources, Remy (yes, the former GM division, they were spun off like Delphi), and MPA (Motorcar Parts America, which got it's start making Volkswagen parts). That may have changed since the remans I've seen lately were done in China, India, or Taiwan instead of the US or Mexico. Quality has definitely taken a nosedive since the Remy/MPA days.

Getting off-topic there, sorry.

As far as the motorcraft part number for a fox-body 5.0 alternator, here you go, straight from Ford:

alternator.png

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users
You can re clock it your self pretty easy
Ford used to give us the wrong one over the parts counter
Probes were so ignorant I used to split those just to replace them
Put them back up in the car above the cv axle in 2 pieces
You just be careful to hold the rear together so the brushes do not come out of the holder

You can re clock it your self pretty easy
Ford used to give us the wrong one over the parts counter
Probes were so ignorant I used to split those just to replace them
Put them back up in the car above the cv axle in 2 pieces
You just be careful to hold the rear together so the brushes do not come out of the holder
that's confusing to someone working on a fox car, more so not being a regular mechanic. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses guys.
I see the clocking doesnt seem a big deal but I just find it very odd the part does not come correct. Surely at some point in time they must have come clocked correctly.
I know the original ford part number was gl520rm but i have been unable to trace back the dl7734 to an original ford part number. This is the one that actually comes clocked correctly but its for a 90 f-150 and if I look up the 90 f-150 on ford parts the dl7734 does not pop up but it exists so it must come from somewhere! I would just be more content with the motorcraft equivilent of the dl7734.
The only thing with dl7734 was I had to swap my pulley because it had a bigger one. Other than that both 75 amps and its working fine. Battery is 14.3 with car running.

I could have upgraded but my car is a survivor, only 37 ,000 unmolested miles and I prefer to keep it stock as possible.
I spoke to the guy at LMR and he swears he never had a problem with his alternators but I just dont see how thats possible. I tested an incorrectly clocked alternator from autozone and the regulator clip hits my bracket. Can it work yes but not without some modification to the bracket I put the clip almost all the way in and it definitely hit the bracket and I didnt wanna force it.

Yea so I guess not a huge deal but I am still curious.

I would suspect that alternator body was used for many years across many models with only minor differences so that's hundred of thousands of units if not millions.
I noticed an alternator on a 90's F150 was the same as my 89 mustang so imagine the numbers between 89 to the mid 90's mustang/f series trucks with the same parts being 'rebuilt' overseas.