Progress Thread 89 hatch hydroplanedrifterweldeddiff thread:

Todays work: fixed the radio, was a blown fuse in back of head unit. Stoked on that easy cheap fix. And did the trans fluid...
saw some royal purple manual syncromesh or somn like that, but @ 16.00 a qt. Didnt do it. Figured fresh quality atf is good enough.
20191129_161857.jpg
20191129_153445.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

^ ah, that'll work. Break clean for the armpits and balls, very wise.

Got some new tires again. (This is getting expensive lol) well fronts should last a good while now. Rears ya, not so much.
20191205_113613.jpg

But i have a solution. Going to get 4 to 5 lug adapters and buy stockers as i see them with fair/good tires for 150-200 for 4. Then sell wheels very cheap or scrap em. If i can sell the wheels ($20 a pc) will bring down tire cost to 20-30 a pc. vs. 75-100 a pc.

As far as tires go, have you investigated your local scrap yards for used tires that may fit? Might be cheaper than buying new every week/month or however long they last.

I thought that they made tires specifically for drifting. Harder compound or something that allows you to light them up and they last longer. Not that a drift tire is going to last long at any rate.

I thought that they made tires specifically for drifting. Harder compound or something that allows you to light them up and they last longer. Not that a drift tire is going to last long at any rate.

Got me wondering - never put much thought into it, but it totally makes sense to have purpose built tires for this.

This guy put out his list of top drift tires here: https://talkcarswell.com/best-tires/drifting/
The last one looks to be somewhere around $100 a pop. I hit the link and that particular tire was around $122 on Amazon.

Good idea on the scrap yards.. ill check that website also. ima have to get creative. They do kinda have a drift specific tire. Kenda kr20's/kr20a (tires in picture) are said to be the best as far as longevity. I could burn em up in a night on the "street" if i wanted to do a lot of sliding. On track in my car at 200hp, ill guess 30-40 laps thats being generous i think and easy on the throttle. Hammer down being stupid prob. 15-20 laps.