94 Cobra- Can I get into the 13's without major engine mods?

94 Cobra- Can I get into the 13's without major engine mods?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the title says. Originally, I was going to purchase a Subaru STI, which runs 13.0 flat in the quarter, with 0-60 speeds at 4.7 secs.. That was my dream. I ended up with a 94 cobra (and still happy mind you), but I want to make the car as fast as possible without motor dumping or major internal work.

I think I would be happy in the mid to high 13's but hey, shoot for the stars... I would like sub 5.5sec 0-60 time. This car will never see a drag strip, just want to know it "could"

In the future, I foresee a supercharger, but that is the future.. How close can I get NA? Can I get low 13's?

Can it be done? If so, what would be the right steps to get there?

Car was bone stock, but I decided I needed something to tinker with after having it all of 6 days, so I ordered:
(all from redline racing)
Steeda Tri Axe
Cold Air intake
4.10 Gears
Underdrive Pulleys

And picked up a used hypertech chip for 94 cobras

Exhaust is pending once I hear back from a Stangnet Member..

Thoughts?

UK

• Sponsors (?)

Thoes gears will help you out a lot... They alone will more than likely get you into the 13's. Get a bigger MAF to go along with that CAI and maybe a 65mm tb. Other than that, I dont know many cheep engine mods that you can do to a cobra. Some nice DR's for your rear tires will help out with any traction issues if you have them.

Headers and h-pipe and some catbacks will give you some more horses. i have shorties cause I wanted something that sounded good for cheap, but If I had to money and I was gonna due it again I would go for longtubes. I went with BBK but had trouble getting them to seal. What I read on the forums bassani is the best stuff. For cat-back I have flowmasters and personaly I think they sound bad but you know you can go with magnaflow or Borla. Not just that but if you are goin for sound and look I think borla side exhaust look Kick A$$.

UrbanKnight said:
Recommendations for make/model of MAF and TB?

Thanks
UK
Get a Pro-M 77 or 80mm maf, and I'm running a FMS throttle body and its been great. No complaints about it. Some people have problems on the BBK throttle bodys so I'd stay away from thoes.

Bump Timing -Free
Homemade CAI -$50
Long tubes - $250
Off/Road Mid Pipe -$100
Underdrive Pulleys -$100
3.73/4.10 (I would choose 4.10's) -$140 for the gears and then ~$200 for install
Sticky tires (ET Streets would be my choice) and the good driver mod and you should be deep into the 13's. 12's if you can drive it like you hate it and get a MAF and TB.

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Jake

Thanks guys, your answers and expertise is exactly what I was looking for. The car is showroom new, 37k, and runs and looks it as well.

I have 4.10s, pulleys and CAI from Redline racing on the way, as well as a hypertech chip. I am finalizing the details on the exhaust right now. Only bad exhuast part is I am in an emmisions state, so I must have cats, but still... I was looking at shorty headers for ease of installation.

I see a lot of guys changing injectors. Is this something I should look into, or do I need so major mods to go down that road?

Thanks again
UK

Good driving will get you a LOT in terms of e.t. I thought I was pretty good until I ran my "13 second car" to a best of 14.5 my first time out at the track. Even a slightly decent driver can get a '94 Cobra with MAF, gears & h-pipe easily into the 13's.

yeah try and find some posts from GMKillr...or talk to KillerCanary on here he knows him.....he had a mostly stock Cobra(stock bottom end, heads and intake) with Pro-M MAF, CAI, full exhaust, gears, pulleys nd i think a TB and ran 12.9x's consistently....of course he def. had the "good driver mod" :banana:

Anthony

I am not necessarily worried about the cost, I do not like to home make things if I have an option. I got a somewhat of a price break for ordering all together, so the cold air is negligable. I am not going into the engine (I guess I really should add YET to that comment).

I was looking to see what the maximum I could pull out of her with bolt ons and exhaust.

UK