Actually got pulled on by a Civic on the highway...funny ending

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
So i was pretty impressed....was a Civic Si Vtaaaak hatch, not a bad looking car. We both downshifted and to my surprise he kept pulling away so i was pretty impressed although my car has 4.10s and 26 inch tall tires, and it tops out at about 110-115 lol. We met up in "town" where everyone cruises and i caught him at light and asked if he wanted to do it right and he started the "uuuhhhhhhhhh" and i laughed and told him i'll be at the strip this Saturday and he said "uuuuh i've got traction issues" and i said yeah, i'll rape you from a stop my car has no top end, stock '85 long block. But, he was pretty cool and i gave him the nod for doing pretty good on the highway.

• Sponsors (?)

bynummustang said:
Is there a point to this story?

Jk man, our cars should have a 24/7 video camera rolling so we can share what tools people are, AND how cool people can be.

Hell i dunno i was just half way impressed that he pulled and then i was kinda humored because he wouldn't run from a stop. I guess you had to be there.

bynummustang said:
our cars should have a 24/7 video camera rolling so we can share what tools people are, AND how cool people can be.

Dude that is so true. No one ever believes the crap I deal with around town or all the compliments and looks until they are riding shotgun and witness it first hand.

With 4.10's and a 26" tire, at those speeds you were out of your power band I am sure. Yeah, they want to go on the highway but don't want to even try from a stop. They might pull a little on the highway, but know what will happen at a light is just himiliation.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
So i was pretty impressed....was a Civic Si Vtaaaak hatch, not a bad looking car. We both downshifted and to my surprise he kept pulling away so i was pretty impressed although my car has 4.10s and 26 inch tall tires, and it tops out at about 110-115 lol. We met up in "town" where everyone cruises and i caught him at light and asked if he wanted to do it right and he started the "uuuhhhhhhhhh" and i laughed and told him i'll be at the strip this Saturday and he said "uuuuh i've got traction issues" and i said yeah, i'll rape you from a stop my car has no top end, stock '85 long block. But, he was pretty cool and i gave him the nod for doing pretty good on the highway.

Not a bad looking car?????????? Civic = Puke in my hat!!!!!!!!!!

Shakerhood said:
Not a bad looking car?????????? Civic = Puke in my hat!!!!!!!!!!

Well, i'm not one of the people around here who completely hate imports. I wouldn't put the kind of money into one that could make it fast, but i would definately drive a Civic as a work commuter. Not bad looking means it wasn't all riced out with a stupid body kit and all that....just a stock body with nice wheels.

I don't feel the least bit bad that i couldn't catch him because like someone said, my car was out of steam on the hiway. I just put my buddy's Welds on my car (pic thread of that coming up today) and he's got a really low profile tire on the back. Those plus the 4.10s at 70mph...there really aren't many reasonably quick cars that couldn't leave me sitting. The funny part was that he wasn't interested in running from the light, or even at the track this weekend because he knows i'd kill him from a stop.

Well I don't have 4.10's but, I do have 3.73's. Must be the difference. When I had stock heads(ok they were gasket matched) and stock intake(lower ported), my car on the highway/interstate would pull good all the way to redline in 4th. Which was 128mph. So I guess I got confused about the run from 70mph up to 110-120mph. For me, I would have pulled them till I hit fifth. But, then I again, I never race past 4th gear. So, I appoligise for upsetting anyone. To me it just seems like from a 70mph roll you should of been in your power range till the redline in fourth.

fidstang said:
Well I don't have 4.10's but, I do have 3.73's. Must be the difference. When I had stock heads(ok they were gasket matched) and stock intake(lower ported), my car on the highway/interstate would pull good all the way to redline in 4th. Which was 128mph. So I guess I got confused about the run from 70mph up to 110-120mph. For me, I would have pulled them till I hit fifth. But, then I again, I never race past 4th gear. So, I appoligise for upsetting anyone. To me it just seems like from a 70mph roll you should of been in your power range till the redline in fourth.

The problem is my combo. I've got a Victor Jr. intake, a 650 carb (which is too big, along with the intake) on top of stock '85 heads with the stock '85 cam. Basically i've got plenty intake up to but not enough head/valve action to make it all work. My car is an animal off the line but runs out of steam at 4k, which is only about 1500RPM above cruising speed at 70mph, so i didn't have much engine left when we started pulling and when i downshifted, that put my engine right above where it stops making power. On slicks my car would utterly destroy his car in the quarter, let alone on street tires where i can barely hook up. He wouldn't run me from a light because he knew better..

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Well, i'm not one of the people around here who completely hate imports. I wouldn't put the kind of money into one that could make it fast, but i would definately drive a Civic as a work commuter. Not bad looking means it wasn't all riced out with a stupid body kit and all that....just a stock body with nice wheels.

I don't feel the least bit bad that i couldn't catch him because like someone said, my car was out of steam on the hiway. I just put my buddy's Welds on my car (pic thread of that coming up today) and he's got a really low profile tire on the back. Those plus the 4.10s at 70mph...there really aren't many reasonably quick cars that couldn't leave me sitting. The funny part was that he wasn't interested in running from the light, or even at the track this weekend because he knows i'd kill him from a stop.

I dont completely hate Imports, my DD is a Toyota Truck. But FWD cars all look like hell no matter the Manufacturer.