AFRS are here, what else do I need for the motor?

90_Red_LX

Sep 29, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Just got my afrs today so all thats left for the big stuff is a cam Ill be ordering from ed curtis shortly. Question is, what all do I need? Ed reccommended a spring upgrade for the cam, so Ill be doing that, then lifters and obviously pushrods. Then some 1.6 rockers and a new timing chain. Question is, what else should I consider besides gaskets obviously? IIRC there issues with the factory valve covers correct? Im gonna some sfcs in shortly then put a bigger fuel pump in it, and probably go ahead and put a decent clutch in. After that Ill pick up a new maf with matching injectors, then I should be good to go right? Or do I need anything else? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What size AFR's did you go with? If 165's, did you get the competition package? Mine are just the regular version, and I was just wondering what the differences are looks wise to the exhaust port and chamber. Is your RPM lower ported? TMOSS has pics up on his website on how the AFR intake ports are set back a little compared to the lower. He ported my Cobra lower, and it is now a perfect match. Maybe something for you to look into.

I had a 306 with AFR 165'S Ed's springs and cam. Perf. RPM intake. 1-5/8" long tubes , 24# inj and made +/- 310 rwhp It sound like your on the right path. I had a set of the FRPP valve cover that had the baffales built in to them and to use then with the 1.6 RR i had to grind them out. But they worked fine.

I would be very happy with 310whp. Glad it made that kind of power. I'm hoping that'll be it for the motor, because all the piddly stuff is adding up lol. Never fails to spend more than planned lol, which is fine because I'll be alright. Only thing that sucks is I'm just now starting to learn milling, so I could work with my own heads if I was good, but since I don't know anything but setting up to drill I won't dare try to play with em lol.

brands5.0 said:
I had a 306 with AFR 165'S Ed's springs and cam. Perf. RPM intake. 1-5/8" long tubes , 24# inj and made +/- 310 rwhp It sound like your on the right path. I had a set of the FRPP valve cover that had the baffales built in to them and to use then with the 1.6 RR i had to grind them out. But they worked fine.

You have a new GT500 already? How is it?

A new balancer would be a good idea. SFI approved if you can afford it.

Lots of RTV (get like 5 tubes, you never know when your going to need it), gasket remover/acetone, CLAY to check p2v clearance (you are going to check it right?), and all that little stuff.

Spray paint if you wanna clean anything up while your into it.

A new water pump.

The head swap gasket kit from FRPP is a pretty good deal.

Marlboro_Man said:
A new balancer would be a good idea. SFI approved if you can afford it.

Lots of RTV (get like 5 tubes, you never know when your going to need it), gasket remover/acetone, CLAY to check p2v clearance (you are going to check it right?), and all that little stuff.

Spray paint if you wanna clean anything up while your into it.

A new water pump.

The head swap gasket kit from FRPP is a pretty good deal.

As for cleaning, I probably won't do a whole lot. I plan on really tearing it down in the near future and for now I want it to look stock as possible. If I could dirty up the afr's a bit so they don't look like I have heads thatd be sweet.

How much do balancers run for a good one? I don't want cheap crap but if it's out of my budget I guess I'll hope the stocker works alright and if it doesn't I have another vehicle I can drive until I can put one on there. A new water pump is definetly in order also, just forgot to mention it lol. Deff need one of those. I'll look into the frpp kit and hell yeah I'm check p2v clearance, the last thing I need is klunk klunk bang lol.