Another "guess the dyno" thread

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
Another "guess the dyno" thread UPDATED WITH VID'S

I'll finally be getting a few runs on the dyno done before the seasons up. I've got a feeling my turbo exhaust housings are limiting my total horsepower by choking in the higher rpm…so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Anyways, the combo and 1/4 times are in the sig…and the boost is going to be right at 8psi.

Take your best shot! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, im going to roll with this calculator then.

464 hp

Doesnt say torque but I will guess 539 trq.

When will you be dynoing?

Tomorrow...although I have to wait until I get a firewire cable in order to post the vids. I'm hoping to lay down mid-low 400's with a nice fat torque curve. The whole reason for getting the dyno is not only to simply see what numbers I put down, but to find the difference between the turbocoupe .48 (current) and .63 AR housings for the DIY turbo community.

Ok, im going to roll with this calculator then.

464 hp

Doesnt say torque but I will guess 539 trq.

When will you be dynoing?

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

So here is how it went (I'll post vid's and graphs in the next day or two)....

The first run with tune right off the street came out to be 468.84hp@5000 rpm with the torque I believe in the 440 range. My tune was a bit off with both fuel and spark and the guys at VT engines were VERY helpfull!

After several tuning runs in which I adjusted the fuel quite a bit, along with bumping the timing up 4* across the board I ended up with 489hp@5000 rpm and 527lbs torque @ ~ 4500rpm. :eek:

The torque curve as expected is very broad, and I was eperiencing some odd spark breakup past 5200rpm. The graphs cut off at 5400 rpm even though I pulled past 6k. In the end though, as expected the small housings sputter out past 5k RPM even though the cam wants to keep on pulling to 6k.