Any benefit to upgrading the top loader bell housing to a T5 bell when doing a T5 conversion?

Hello all. I have a 1966 with a 302, 4 speed manual. I am doing the T5 swap soon and am debating on using an adapter plate to connect the T5 to the original bell housing, or "upgrading" to the T5 bell housing. Is there any functional benefit to doing this or any negative to not doing it? I plan to install a hydraulic clutch and McLeod makes one for the top loader bell housing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am curious if the adaptor plate will move my transmission back enough to make it an issue with the drive shaft?

• Sponsors (?)

If your spending money, Get a scatter shield.
I have never had a clutch / flywheel explode and come thru the scatter shield. Never been in a serious car accident but always wear a seatbelt. Adapter plates are for when you don't have a better option. I only have experience with the old Lakewood's, but the new Quick times look good.

I have the t5 five speed now in my 65 and use a scatter shield for a t5 (85-93 mustang) and a modern clutch cable conversion. Been in 10 yrs and a hundred + 1/4 mile (low 13s) passes and never a problem with it. My buddy (65) did the same with the hydraulic set up and was unhappy with the fire wall flexing. Switched to a cable and is happy. I used auto headers shorty headers and heat sleeved the cable.

Reactions: 1 user