Any "big brake" options for us guys who want to stick with the 4-lug wheels?

Not sure i completely understand the whole wheels and tires are too expensive thing.
If you like your current size wheels but have 4 lug, why not sell the 4 lug wheels and buy the 5 lugs and keep the tires.
I also don't see too many guys here with really expensive taste in wheels either.
Any cobra's, saleen's, saleen SC's replicas are pretty much dirt cheap. So you are out $500 for a couple weeks until you complete the swap, and sell off your 4 lug wheels, not a big deal.

You can also get the wheels first, do the cheap 5 lug swap, then upgrade brakes later.

I know these theories don't apply to everyone, but unless for some reason you are in love with a set of 4 lug only wheels, i see no point in staying 4 lug.

• Sponsors (?)

Why is it hard to understand. Not everybody wants to go 5 lug. I bought my project car because I love mustangs and foxes are special to me. I've had an s197 and it was a great car with much better brakes. Point is I bought the car to have fun with, not to race or stop on a dime. If I wanted more performance I would have bought a different Mustang. I am staying 4 lug so that I can swap back to turbines if I want and as these cars get more desirable to collectors they're gonna like the stock set up, in my opinion. Now when I am "done" with my car I'll probably revisit the brakes. I used to drive a 90 back in the day and I don't remember the brakes being that bad. I will probably replace most of the brake pads and booster eventually.

Why is it hard to understand. Not everybody wants to go 5 lug. I bought my project car because I love mustangs and foxes are special to me. I've had an s197 and it was a great car with much better brakes. Point is I bought the car to have fun with, not to race or stop on a dime. If I wanted more performance I would have bought a different Mustang.
Umm, then why are you even taking part in this thread?
It's about better brakes, if you don't want or need better brakes this thread has no bearing on you.
I'm not saying everyone should go 5 lug, i'm saying that if you want better brakes the sensible and possibly even financially sound plan is to go 5 lugs.

If i was "stuck" with 4-lugs and wanted to improve my brakes, here's what I'd do (short of a big $$ aftermarket kit)

Front:
Plain rotors
73mm calipers
SS braided lines
Decent pads

Rear:
T-bird/93 cobra rear disk
SS braided lines

MC/Booster:
Sn95 booster (or 93 cobra)
94-95 GT MC 1 1/16" bore
adustable PV

Similar setup to 94-98 GT's and they stop pretty well.

Am I crazy or was there a member on here who adapted a junkyard WRX Brembo setup to use on a fox? I think he had it in his build thread. Could be a cheap alternative if all you need to do is make a bracket or something along those lines. I'd love to dig that thread up. Anyone else remember what I do?

I think he did it to SN95 spindles though. Kinda moot since you can buy 2000 R brembos and just bolt them on.

but 2000 R brembos are expensive. From what he said in that thread the take off subaru brakes can be had for really cheap and werent hard to make work.

FWIW, that is 5 lug and this thread is about 4 lug

I agree that the WRX Brembo thing is off topic. I apologize. I'm just glad at least two other guys remember seeing the same thing, haha. Figured I'd throw it out there for anybody reading this who is looking at alternative/budget "big brake" options. Carry on 4 lugging. :nice:

Its definitly a cool idea, just didnt know if you thought the subaru stuff was 4 lug.

You think the mustang purists would be mad about Subaru brakes on a fox? lool

This was planned. I could live with the stock mediocre factory brakes for the rest of this season, but I couldn't live with dropping a big chunk of change on a big brake, 5-lug swap right off the bat. Even a budget 5-lug swap will cost me upwards of $400. Most of which I would need to completely change in order to go with the Cobra brakes later on. Along with sourcing a set of '94-'95 spindles (spindles that pick 'n' pulls are starting to become wise too and jacking the prices to near brand new cost on). I would have to do twice as much work and spend twice as much money.

Because quite frankly I didn't want to drop another $600-$800 on a 5-lug, Cobra brake swap, after already dropping $1,100 on wheels and tires.

For that price (or less) I figures I could upgrade the stock front brakes to something much better and do so at my leisure, instead of spending nearly $2,000 on wheels and tires all in one shot. :shrug:

I dunno if it were me I wouldn't have bought rims. I would have sourced the 5 lug parts first, then sourced rims.. In the end, you're going to be paying more for trying to upgrade the antiquated 4 lug stuff simply because the options aren't nearly as plentiful as that of a 5 lug.

You think the mustang purists would be mad about Subaru brakes on a fox? lool

Nope, because the brembos used on it are probably used on something else. So many cars these days have basically the same Brembo brakes that i'm sure there are very little tweaks done to the mounting setups.

Subaru brakes, porsche brakes, SRT-8 brakes, who cares...all the same thing....an awesome brake setup

I dunno if it were me I wouldn't have bought rims. I would have sourced the 5 lug parts first, then sourced rims.. In the end, you're going to be paying more for trying to upgrade the antiquated 4 lug stuff simply because the options aren't nearly as plentiful as that of a 5 lug.

Well, let’s look at that a minute.

To upgrade to 5-lug (front only) the Cobra brake kit with spindles is going to cost you upwards of $1,000. And that's assuming you buy it as a kit. Source it out separately and it could cost you as much as $1,500 using all new parts. This of course requires you to upgrade to a 17" wheel, so naturally you're going to buy a new set, with the conversion.

Now, assuming the prices quoted in this thread are accurate, one could go with a big brake 4-lug front kit from SSBC, Aerospace, or Wilwood from anywhere to $619.99 to $1,300 at the high end.

In one way, it's going to cost you a whole lot less to upgrade to the 73mm piston and brake kit than it will swapping over to 5-lug Cobra. No, it's not going to be quite as nice a set up, but it's much cheaper giving you a nice braking improvement, while allowing you to keep your stock wheels. If you choose the higher end Aerospace or Wilwood kits, they're going to cost you about twice the cheddar, but they're a much better brake set up than the Cobra, for not a whole lot more money when you factor in all of the conversion parts as well. Remember....when going to a 5-lug set up with the Fox, you're paying for both a conversion and a brake upgrade. When you stick with the 4-lug, you're just paying for the upgrade.

The rear brakes are pretty much comparable in price and performance with either set up....so that's a wash.

So really....its 6 in one, half a dozen in the other the way I see it? :shrug:

To upgrade to 5-lug (front only) the Cobra brake kit with spindles is going to cost you upwards of $1,000. And that's assuming you buy it as a kit. Source it out separately and it could cost you as much as $1,500 using all new parts. This of course requires you to upgrade to a 17" wheel, so naturally you're going to buy a new set, with the conversion.

Why would you want to source something out seperately to cost more? And if you seriously drop 1k on those front brakes... punch yourself. Craigslist, Corral, SN forums, local forums. My spindles/brakes cost me 150, even to just upgrade to cobra brakes (new from 5.0resto @ $550) puts me to $700, and while I'm on forums, I bet i could get the cobra brakes for much less than 550 used.

Honestly I wouldn't even go for the cobra setup, a nice used PBR set can be had for 200 or less..

Drop really close to 1,000 on wheels/tires... I guess it just depends on what you want to do.. Everyone will have different opinions... Figure out what you want to do with the car... and then plan the build.

A good alternative is to go with a 73mm svo kit,It will bolt right up.You can also go with a nice drilled rotor and some top quality pads and stainless lines.Flush the system put in some fresh fluid and you will have plenty of braking power for your fox.LRS has entire kit with 73 mm svo Calipers,pads,rotors and s.s. lines for around $ 400.00.Thats the route im going on my 90 coupe with 17'' cobra r's.The rears really dnt stop the car about 20% braking force.Yes it will look better with 4 wheel discs and not lock up as easily but it will brake strong with this set up!

Why would you want to source something out seperately to cost more? And if you seriously drop 1k on those front brakes... punch yourself. Craigslist, Corral, SN forums, local forums. My spindles/brakes cost me 150, even to just upgrade to cobra brakes (new from 5.0resto @ $550) puts me to $700, and while I'm on forums, I bet i could get the cobra brakes for much less than 550 used.

Honestly I wouldn't even go for the cobra setup, a nice used PBR set can be had for 200 or less..

Drop really close to 1,000 on wheels/tires... I guess it just depends on what you want to do.. Everyone will have different opinions... Figure out what you want to do with the car... and then plan the build.

Like I said. Those were new part prices. It's hard for you to compare buying a set of used Cobra brakes and spindles to the brand new 4-lug kits noted here and call them both apples.

Once you start throwing used parts into the mix, the comparison becomes moot, because used parts can vary hundreds of dollars depending on location and availability.

The only fair way to compare them, is when new. And quite frankly...when new, there really doesn't seem to be much of an advantage going with a 5-lug, big brake swap at this level. :shrug:

Like I said. Those were new part prices. It's hard for you to compare buying a set of used Cobra brakes and spindles to the brand new 4-lug kits noted here and call them both apples.

It really is a fair comparison since the 4 lug stuff doesn't exist used.
There is plenty of used 5 lug gt and cobra parts out there.
Good luck finding anything performance orientated used in 4 lug.

I did the 73mm thing also, i would waste a dime on that stuff.

Me personally, i think get the 5 lug wheels
2 new lincoln front rotors, maybe $80.
Ranger rear axles and drums, and drive it until you have the money for rear discs. Collect the parts, do the north race car brackets for fox length axles and a 93 cobra MC.
Then compile parts for the front and do a dual piston pbr setup.
No it won't happen over night, but in the end you'll have easily replaceable parts and better brakes.

It really is a fair comparison since the 4 lug stuff doesn't exist used.
There is plenty of used 5 lug gt and cobra parts out there.
Good luck finding anything performance orientated used in 4 lug.

I did the 73mm thing also, i would waste a dime on that stuff.

Me personally, i think get the 5 lug wheels
2 new lincoln front rotors, maybe $80.
Ranger rear axles and drums, and drive it until you have the money for rear discs. Collect the parts, do the north race car brackets for fox length axles and a 93 cobra MC.
Then compile parts for the front and do a dual piston pbr setup.
No it won't happen over night, but in the end you'll have easily replaceable parts and better brakes.

I don't disagree that it can be done cheaply, but with used parts, brings used parts troubles. Also, the Lincoln front rotors really limit your wheel selection in the mean time. I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether or not my OE Wheels 10th Anniversary Cobra's would clear the Lincoln hubs, so I chose not to take the chance.

Besides....I'm an impatient person. I didn't feel like parts collecting, or dragging the swap out. I'm all about immediate gratification. :D

By the way….shameless plug. I should have these baby’s on in the next few days. I’ll post pics when I do. :nice:
Mustang® 10th Anniversary 4 Lug Deep Dish Wheels & Tires

oe-m-04-4-c-f-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg

oe-m-04-4-c-r-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg

oe-m-04-4-c-r-3ps-n1.jpg

Attachments

• oe-m-04-4-c-f-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg
    oe-m-04-4-c-f-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 99
  • oe-m-04-4-c-r-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg
    oe-m-04-4-c-r-2ps-n1-nxt.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 111
  • oe-m-04-4-c-r-3ps-n1.jpg
    oe-m-04-4-c-r-3ps-n1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 98
I did this one about 5 years ago,
Brake Upgrade Package, 1987-93 [BP-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
got rid of a lot of the fade from the pedal and noticeably improved the stopping distance, not as much as a 4 wheel disc would but was cheaper and done in a couple of hours.

from their website:
The complete MM brake upgrade package produced an average stopping distance of 114 ft from 60 mph, with the shortest distance at 98 ft (Mustang Monthly, Sept. 1993).

I really like those rims, I think after the cars are painted and the suspension is done on the 01 i might pull the trigger on them.

A good alternative is to go with a 73mm svo kit,It will bolt right up.You can also go with a nice drilled rotor and some top quality pads and stainless lines.Flush the system put in some fresh fluid and you will have plenty of braking power for your fox.LRS has entire kit with 73 mm svo Calipers,pads,rotors and s.s. lines for around $ 400.00.Thats the route im going on my 90 coupe with 17'' cobra r's.The rears really dnt stop the car about 20% braking force.Yes it will look better with 4 wheel discs and not lock up as easily but it will brake strong with this set up!

Svo calipers can be had for $15 each at parts store.

Unfortunately there is no good MC that matches up to the 73mm calipers and rear drums so putting those calipers results in a softer pedal woth a longer throw. Not really ideal when max braking force comes at the bottom of a long spongy stroke.