Any "big brake" options for us guys who want to stick with the 4-lug wheels?

Unfortunately there is no good MC that matches up to the 73mm calipers and rear drums so putting those calipers results in a softer pedal woth a longer throw. Not really ideal when max braking force comes at the bottom of a long spongy stroke.

The $620 SSBC kit does exactly that. 73mm caliper, upgraded master cylinder, performance pads and steel braided lines.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Front 4-Lug 11" Big Brake Kit by SSBC at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I'd consider that a pretty good bang for the buck, wouldn't you?

• Sponsors (?)

The $620 SSBC kit does exactly that. 73mm caliper, upgraded master cylinder, performance pads and steel braided lines.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Front 4-Lug 11" Big Brake Kit by SSBC at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I'd consider that a pretty good bang for the buck, wouldn't you?

I certainly wouldn't consider it bang for your buck.
Other than the MC the rest of those parts are dirt cheap anywhere.

I know you are a pretty knowledgeable guy, so do some reading on what makes brakes better.
Rotor size for more area to dissipate heat, those are no bigger.
Clamping force, Really no more clamping force there.
Spreading out the clamping effect of the pads on the rotor, well, 60 to 73mm isn't much of change, that's about .5 inches.
Now compare it to the dual piston pbr's, which spread the clamping power over the entire pad evenly with 2 pistons over a big ass 13 inch rotor.

Rather than buy that kit you linked us to, just buy the steel lines and sleeves from maximum motorsports saving you time and money.
Then do the rear discs.

I'm not telling you to go 5 lug, i'm telling you not to spending too much money on 4 lug brakes.

Alright then....half the price it is. It's certainly a decent upgrade for $300. Not 13" dual piston Cobra caliber, but certainly better than the stockers.

That's still just one example. There were others posted that seem comparably prices and were a slightly lesser or better upgrade over the popular Cobra set up. Remember, our cars are a good 300-500lbs lighter than the SN95's that these brakes came off of. That being the case, our cars don't require near the braking capability for comparable braking performance.

I mean....the stockers aren't horrible for everyday driving. I'd like to see a little more repeatability and fade resistance out of them, but for general usage, going to the 13" pizza pans seem to do more for looks, than anything?

I've done the 73mm steel braided deal with upgraded MC.. Going from stock fox, to that, I saw a marginal difference.. Going from the 73mm to the PBR caliber (non cobra, just 2001 GT brakes), HUGEEEE difference.. Like night and day.

I'm at the point now where I think I may even upgrade the front again to 13" cobra brakes.. Simply because I want a bigger rotor behind my wheels. lol.

IMG_6348.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6348.jpg
    IMG_6348.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 99
i bought a north race cars kit when i went to 93 cobra rear disk.
then i went to 5 lug, so i still have the calipers and rotors. all you would need to do is buy the brackets from north race cars (less then 180)
pm me if interested. less then 4k miles on them