AODE guys what shiftkit do you have and what setting is it on? (I searched)

1hot5.0

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Surprise, Arizona
I am going to be having my transmission fluid and filter changed out shortly, and I figured I may as well have them install a shift kit while they have the pan off. With all the choices of shift kits (Bauman, Trans-Go, Performance Automatic, Jerry mod from tccoa) I don't know which one to choose, or which setting I should have it installed on. I do however, know from my limited amount of research to stay away from B&M kits.

I know that when I get a PI or Edge 9.5" aftermarket converter, that it will soften up the shifts quite a bit, so I want to compensate for that as well.

With all of that said, what shift kit do you guys have in your AODE stangs, and what setting do you have it on? Which setting would you recommend I have mine set at when I have one installed? Are you happy with the quality of the kit?

Thanks in advance!

-Jason

• Sponsors (?)

I have the transgo kit set on setting 1 of 3. I did exactly what you are doing, and had it installed while I had the fluid/filter changed. I love it. I have it to setting 1, and it is much more firm than I expected it to be.

It's the best of both worlds. At WOT I chirp the 1-2 shift with stock 3:08's and 275 tires, and the 2-3 is very crisp also. But when I'm not on it gas real hard, the shifts are quick, but don't jerk the car like hell, which is nice because it's my dd and that would get old. I was going to get it set to setting 2, but the guy who owned the shop (very knowlegable) advised me that setting 2 + gears in the future could be harsh for the street, especially on slick surfaces. If you get the kit, you will love it, especially with your 3:73's.
:flag: :cheers:

more comments on this would be nice, i wanta shift kit soon also, how much do normal mechanics charge to install a shift kit? Does it shift at a lower rpm since it shifts much faster? Does it need a computer tune?

sage2k said:
more comments on this would be nice, i wanta shift kit soon also, how much do normal mechanics charge to install a shift kit? Does it shift at a lower rpm since it shifts much faster? Does it need a computer tune?

1) It was $250 out the door for shift kit install, and tranny service. BE CAREFULL where you take the car. The first place I went sounded like they knew what was up on the phone, then I went down there. They had a POS shop with a bunch of idiots working there, and they said, "OH thaaaat shift kit...it will be $400 to install that one."... :bs: So I told them to go **** off, and left. I called around, found a shop and made sure on the phone they knew exactly what i was talking about. They did excellent work, and had it done within a reasonable amount of time.

2) Same shift rpm.

3) No computer tune is needed. It doesn't just firm shifts by increasing line pressure like other cheap kits. Stay the hell away from that b&m electronic shift improver.

just like Scott95GT said, it will be the same shift points and it wont mess with your computer. i have the same shift kit and setting he does, and i chirp my 285's sometimes just driving normally, let alone full throttle. i have 3.73's so i know what youre going to experience and you will love it. definately a joyride :nice:

Why pay $80-90 for a shift kit when you can get the same results just using the j-mod and changing the accumlators for $50? And installing a shift kit is easy to do. The only special tool you will need to get is an in'Lb tq wrench.

I do not want to do the jerry mod because I am still a little nervous about touching the brain of the transmission, i'm afraid I might mess something up, lol.

If I got the transgo shift kit on the stage 1 setting like Scott_95GT and VulcanGT have, would it soften up my shifts too much when I get a conveter? I keep hearing awesome results about a shift kit, and then once someone gets a converter, they say it shifts like stock. :shrug:

Just take the instructions for the j-mod to the tranny shop and have them do it. Jerry was a ford engineer and worked on the aode and the 4r70w and he has said he doesn't like the Trans go shift kits because the have you change the pressure to get the shifts. Witch down the road can cause problems. Say for $100 from Trans go you get the gaskets and A diagram of where to drill the separator plate and a pressure relief valve for the vb. On the tccoa site it shows you were to drill the separator plate and what parts you should upgrade to the newer style rubber acculmators and get away from the old aluminum ones. Even if you go with the trans go you need to replace the acculmators inside the tranny with the rubber ones.

Thats awesome vulcanGT. I'm sure mine will do the same when I get rid of my 3:08's. My car upshifts into 2nd so low in the rpm's with stock gears, the only way I can chirp a shift is at WOT. I can't wait to get 3:90's installed. It'll be a blast.

Im just here to tell you, a shift kit + gears + TC = no gas milage and HARD shifts.
I dont know who said a TC will soften shifts but if anything it makes them harder.

I run a Trans-Go, 4.10's, and a PI Stallion 2800 and its almost to much for street.

If your wanting to keep street driveability then stay away from a High Stall TC. Not trying to burst your bubble but just couldnt let a fellow stanger be misled. :nice:
But hey if your just wanting to beat bolt-on 5-speeds then..........LET THE WORK BEGIN!! :banana: :banana:

Hope this helped but who knows....

Well, the gears can affect the gas mileage a lil bit. The shift kit wont affect the gas mileage. And I ran a pi stallion 2800 converter and I didn't get that bad of gas mileage. City driving will be affected by the converter due to the extra slip in it. High way driving wont be affected by the converter because it's locked and hardly slipping while crusing.

And I have never head a 2800 stall converter referred to as a high stall converter. I could say for a stang you start getting saying high after 3200-3500. I could have gone for more in my 2800. Also installing these parts in a worn out aode can cause it to slip more and got worse performance and bad gas mileage.

Well the TC lessens milage because your not getting the full potential that you should be. Even though your motor is spinning at 2000rpms your wasting that much gas but not all of the power is getting to the wheels.

Synned said:
Well the TC lessens milage because your not getting the full potential that you should be. Even though your motor is spinning at 2000rpms your wasting that much gas but not all of the power is getting to the wheels.

But also the load on the engine isnt there at lower rpms. It starts loading the engine at hifger rpms more in the power band. The trade off to gas milage is worth it with a converter hands down.

Ok, I could be wring on this but let me know.

I think the computer can measure the load and add fuel and timing. I know with my tweecer I can measure it. It's just like someone trying to check for pinging in their driveway by just revving the engine. And when places do smog testes the put the car on rollers to doad it like on the street and hold it for some time at 2000 to check. Why would they do this if you could just sit there with your foot on the pedal instead?

Scott_95GT said:
I have the transgo kit set on setting 1 of 3. I did exactly what you are doing, and had it installed while I had the fluid/filter changed. I love it. I have it to setting 1, and it is much more firm than I expected it to be.

It's the best of both worlds. At WOT I chirp the 1-2 shift with stock 3:08's and 275 tires, and the 2-3 is very crisp also. But when I'm not on it gas real hard, the shifts are quick, but don't jerk the car like hell, which is nice because it's my dd and that would get old. I was going to get it set to setting 2, but the guy who owned the shop (very knowlegable) advised me that setting 2 + gears in the future could be harsh for the street, especially on slick surfaces. If you get the kit, you will love it, especially with your 3:73's.
:flag: :cheers:

When I got my car the guy told me he had Shiftkit installed on it. In the receipts there was one from minkee (sp) that said transmission rebuid+shift kit installed = $1200. When WOT in my car it will kind of be slow when shifting. It won't chirp 1-2 :( but then again it won't even chirp 1 :nonono:

I don't know what kind it is but if I do anything I would probably do the j-mod.

Mustangless said:
When I got my car the guy told me he had Shiftkit installed on it. In the receipts there was one from minkee (sp) that said transmission rebuid+shift kit installed = $1200. When WOT in my car it will kind of be slow when shifting. It won't chirp 1-2 :( but then again it won't even chirp 1 :nonono:

I don't know what kind it is but if I do anything I would probably do the j-mod.

If your car shifts real slow at wot, I doubt you have a shift kit. I'm not saying every car with a shift kit will chirp the 1-2 shift, but it sounds like your tranny is stock. If you have any type of shift-impovment work done on the car at all, you should be able to tell at wot with the 1-2 shift if nothing else.