Big Decisions, Tire size, Wheel size 70 Boss Mustang

Hi, really need some feedback for my 70 Boss Mustang. Finished the body, paint, mechanical side of it. Now ready to make the choice for some wheels and tires. It has a roller 302 Boss motor, blueprinted, Bud-Moore intake, 447 crank HP, richmond six speed, TCP coilovers front and rear, Wilwood six-piston 13", ect.. You get the picture. I have spent alot of time and money and now I need to get the wheel and tire choice right.

I like the tire pattern and price for the YOKOS as seen in the first pic. They come in 245/40/17 for the front and 275/40/17 for the rear. I am worried the tire size is too small in diameter, the front being 25" and rear 25.6". There is a limited tire selection and these sizes are the best choice for YOKO's.

On the second pic with the Nitto 555's, I would go with 255/40/17 front and 285/40/18 rear. Too much tire for street and some track use? More bling than function?

What do you guys think?
Thanks and any input, whether good or bad, is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm trying to stuff big rubber too

If you're building a Trans-Am style Boss, why not copy the tires? here's what the '70 Trans-Am Boss Mustang had:

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=298

11.5" front=292mm

12" rear=304mm

You've got flared fenders there, IIRC. I've yet to hear a good explanation why the Trans-Am Boss could fit wider tires than a stock Boss 302, maybe Bud Moore knows. ;-) If you wait maybe 2 weeks, I can tell you if a 275/40/17 will fit on the front of a non-flared or rolled fender on a '70. I'm waiting for my wheels to come in and I'm going to try to mount the wheels/tires on front first. 4.5 bs, Unique front coilovers like your TCPs, and reduced turning radius from an R&P kit.
Here is a pic of some 245/45/17s and 275/45/17s on a '70, you can be the judge if a 40 will look OK. I would kind of rather have a 45 myself, but the Bridgestone RE750s I wanted at Costco were only in 275/40/17.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/734230/1

what wheels are you planning on?

Nice car there! Like the Paxton very much! Settled on these wheels at www.dpengineering.com and I really like the tread pattern on the YOKO's but they are only available in 40series. How did you get a 275 on the 8" Edelbrocks? Looks like you still have plenty of room for more? Do you think steering performance/ride quality will suffer with 275's on front?

that isn't my car

but thanks. I think the guy's email is in the Cardomain description. A number of guys on this forum have said you can get 275s on an 8" rim. I understand that there will be a little slower turn-in as the sidewall flexes, but it should still be crisper than a taller tire with a smaller wheel. The tire could wander a little bit on freeway grooves and might be a little noisier, but that's all I can think of in terms of ride quality . . . but it will be an experiment, that's for sure. I wouldn't recommend really wide fronts without upgrading your suspension and steering gear up front - the stock stuff wasn't meant for something that wide. Oh, and make sure you're moving before you turn the wheels. ;-)

4MuscleMachines said:
Nice car there! Like the Paxton very much! Settled on these wheels at www.dpengineering.com and I really like the tread pattern on the YOKO's but they are only available in 40series. How did you get a 275 on the 8" Edelbrocks? Looks like you still have plenty of room for more? Do you think steering performance/ride quality will suffer with 275's on front?

dang, those are nice

and they're local to me. too expensive for me, though, but if I were doing a trans am style boss that's what I would do. those minilite style are great, and the custom offset will do it for ya. I would go that way. Thanks bnickel!!

bnickel said:
how about a set of 17x8 mini-lite style wheels like these http://www.team3wheels.com/ac/ scroll to the bottom.

i think these wheels would absolutely awesome