Brakes Cadillac ATS calipers installed!

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
Finally completed the install, minor modifications to calipers and spindles to make them work but well worth it. I would recommend using Mustang5L5 install kit which includes spacers to center the rotor and new threaded inserts to space the caliper correctly on the rotor. So with all new parts, ATS calipers, 13" slotted/drilled rotors, braided steal brake lines and install kit I was out around $450-500. I went from 95 GT brakes all the way around which weren't that bad, but are weak compared to these, I have instant stopping power, nice tight firm pedal and absolutely no fade slowing down from 100mph. If I were to use medium to heavy pressure on the brake pedal Im pretty sure I could lock them up, again fairly cheap and easy upgrade but worth it if you enjoy going fast and stopping equally fast. Only caution make sure you have wheels that will fit, lots of info on this topic on SVTPerformance.com, I had to remove my stick on wheel weights to clear the top of the caliper.

IMG_0089.JPG

Attachments

• 60273267891__D328370C-E587-4DF4-81D2-9156721D4D7B.JPG
    60273267891__D328370C-E587-4DF4-81D2-9156721D4D7B.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 2,075
Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm still waiting on my kit... Lowranger96 emailed me yesterday saying that there was a delay at the machine shop so they are a bit behind, not an issue for me but be aware due to the popularity of the kit it might take more than a month.

Those look good, and yeah, I'm interested in what rear calipers and what MC you're using?

Similar, but not the same. They use the same hardware and brake pads but the XTS uses a larger rotor.

For a 13” cobra rotor you need ATS. The XTS can be used with a 14” gt500 rotor and some more detailed machine shop work

did you clamp them in a vice or something? I had mine on my work bench with a rubber mat under it beating on it for like 5 minutes. Also, you live in the artic circle so maybe it was cold and I should put them in the freezer first?

Nope. Held them in my hand and hit them in my hand and they came out very easily. Normal room temp in my house.

You putting the bolt in from the rotor side?

I'm putting the bolt in the proper side as the flange only allows it to go out one way... but I'm at the point where I'm going to have to get them pressed out. I beat on it with a heavy hammer for a few minutes and it might have moved 2mm.

Wow. That's interesting. Sucks you have to press it out. Mine came out with 3-4 whacks of the hammer while in my hand. All 8 of the inserts I pulled from my 4 calipers

Finally completed the install, minor modifications to calipers and spindles to make them work but well worth it. I would recommend using Mustang5L5 install kit which includes spacers to center the rotor and new threaded inserts to space the caliper correctly on the rotor. So with all new parts, ATS calipers, 13" slotted/drilled rotors, braided steal brake lines and install kit I was out around $450-500. I went from 95 GT brakes all the way around which weren't that bad, but are weak compared to these, I have instant stopping power, nice tight firm pedal and absolutely no fade slowing down from 100mph. If I were to use medium to heavy pressure on the brake pedal Im pretty sure I could lock them up, again fairly cheap and easy upgrade but worth it if you enjoy going fast and stopping equally fast. Only caution make sure you have wheels that will fit, lots of info on this topic on SVTPerformance.com, I had to remove my stick on wheel weights to clear the top of the caliper.

IMG_0089.JPG
How Can I get in contact with this LowRanger guy? I’m interested in doing this swap and keep seeing various things about the fitment.

I just reached out to Chris, he mentioned about three week wait. I’m in no rush.

I have 98 cobra wheels too and I know the spokes clear with plenty of room, but how about the top of the caliper and the barrel of the wheel? I saw on SVT forum it’s really tight, not super comfortable with that but I’m no engineer, so maybe someone can make me feel better. Also, did you do any trimming of the brake pad?

edit: worded better.

Last edited:
They look really good, reminds me of the alcon brakes I had on my saleen explorer.

I often think about the idea of new 4+ pistons in the front (not that I really need them), but I just can't bring myself to do another lug mount setup. I really would like my next set to be radial mounted.

Last edited:
I just reached out to Chris, he mentioned about three week wait. I’m in no rush.

I have 98 cobra wheels too and I know the spokes clear with plenty of room, but how about the top of the caliper and the barrel of the wheel? I saw on SVT forum it’s really tight, not super comfortable with that but I’m no engineer, so maybe someone can make me feel better. Also, did you do any trimming of the brake pad?

edit: worded better.

You probably saw my pic.

The inserts being sold move the caliper downward a few millimeter as well. The caliper is close to the barrel of the rim, but clears fine. There's maybe 1-2mm of clearance and that distance should not change.

Spoke clearance is miles. You can get your hand around the spoke with '98 cobra wheels