Cam Swap Question For An Aod Car

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I would like opinions on a cam to go with, I am looking to get an Explorer motor with gt40 heads and intake. I can get a E303 cam for about $100 but it says to go with a higher stall convertor than stock, right now I am limited on funds so I can't afford to get a different convertor, how will it work with a stock convertor. I could just install the stock 5.0 HO cam from my old motor and save some $$, this is a daily driver that won't be raced, just need to replace a motor that started smoking last fall before I put it up for the winter.

• Sponsors (?)

Just run stock HO cam and have fun with it.
Having the engine produce power higher in the RPM range than where the converter stalls out at will give it sort of a "dead spot" where the engine slowly revs up until it finally starts making some good power. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to throw a stall into a trans that has an unknown past. If the trans has been rebuilt recently, then go ahead and put a stall in it. If it's the factory trans, save up money and do a rebuild with a stall.

Reactions: 1 user
Just run stock HO cam and have fun with it.
Having the engine produce power higher in the RPM range than where the converter stalls out at will give it sort of a "dead spot" where the engine slowly revs up until it finally starts making some good power. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to throw a stall into a trans that has an unknown past. If the trans has been rebuilt recently, then go ahead and put a stall in it. If it's the factory trans, save up money and do a rebuild with a stall.
I had the trans rebuilt 2 years ago so it's in good condition, I was told with the cam change I will need to replace the valve springs so if I can afford it I'll check on the 1.7's and do both at the same time. Will the stock push rods work with the 1.7's or should the be replaced also? I have no problem working on cars but don't know too much about matching things for better performance inside the motor. What kind of gain would the 1.7's make? Any idea of where to get a good price on them? I also have been told about "Alex's Parts" which have the valve springs for $100, anyone ever use them and have good or bad luck with them? http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-g...-kit-hyd-roller-select-from-560-or-600-lifts/

Also this is a 1 owner car, I bought it in 1989 and plan on keeping it until I can't drive anymore. It is my DD during the summer and most of my driving is freeway driving.

you can swap the cam and leave the stock converter in place, just remember the engine wont respond as advertised though as the converter will hold the engine back. it will be like the old days where you installed a bigger cam, and then when you accelerated, you had to wait until the engine "came on the cam" before the engine would respond properly. that means you have to wait until the engine gets into is power band. personally i think the better way to go is to install higher lift rockers as other have suggested, and wait until you can afford both the cam and converter.

x1000 for the stock cam and 1.7 RR. You'll get about the same lift as the almighty B cam but with a better LSA and driveability. Make sure to swap out the springs for some TFS ones.

Reactions: 1 user
x1000 for the stock cam and 1.7 RR. You'll get about the same lift as the almighty B cam but with a better LSA and driveability. Make sure to swap out the springs for some TFS ones.
I was looking at the TFS springs but was told the ones from Alex's Parts.com are just as good and less expensive, I just wonder if it's worth saving the $60 to go with Alex's . I've been reading about the 1.7's and it sounds like there isn't much of a change from them and stock so would a set of better flowing headers be better to go with now instead of the 1.7's? I have stock exhaust now with no cats and a H-pipe going into flowmasters, I don't have to get it tested here in Michigan.

Last edited:
Our drop in valve spring kit is specially engineered to fit GT40 heads. It comes with two different sets of retainers, eight intake retainers and eight exhaust retainers.

The performance springs in this kit fit GT40 heads without additional modifications.

What's the spring rate and height vs. the TFS? I looked at the site and he doesn't mention the brand name of the springs. Not knocking them at all, but I like to know what I'm buying. That being said, many guys run his springs.