Can I add a BOV? Centri w/stock MAF

hotstang_46

Apr 11, 2007
Charlotte NC
hey guys....maybe this is a silly question, but I know nothing about BOV's. Just I heard a guy with one and it sounded nice. I'm doing a bunch of forum searches but not coming back with too much.

I have a pro charger, no intercooler (meth) running about 13lbs boost, lightning MAF with MAFIA.

And if I can't what would I have to do to run one?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can but you have to convert your setup over to a blow through setup with the BOV before the MAF. Since you live in CA keep in mind that a BOV can be a "pull me over sign" to the cops. Most guys with centris that get sent to the ref are guys with BOV's.

I would also consider ditching your meth kit for a intercooler. CX racing make a quality piece that some have made 550+ with.

Yes you can but you have to convert your setup over to a blow through setup with the BOV before the MAF. Since you live in CA keep in mind that a BOV can be a "pull me over sign" to the cops. Most guys with centris that get sent to the ref are guys with BOV's.

I would also consider ditching your meth kit for a intercooler. CX racing make a quality piece that some have made 550+ with.

Well, where I live I haven't been pulled over in 4 years. I also have a caged out 1200+hp vette (ok..1200 on the juice, 700+NA) :), essentially a racecar, and is all they do is look. I run IL plates on all my muscle cars because my home out there does not require any emissions testing. So long story short the cops aren't really too much of a concern to me.

I am a meth addict with my cars. I've always had nothing but good luck with meth. And, the guy who has done my tuning back in IL with on this car is a big meth guy. Besides, with already having the meth I don't see what benefit would come to go through the added cost of a new tune and parts for an intercooler.

And so ya, I was thinking I would need a new MAF...and that would need a new tune. Seems like alot of work to just add a bypass/blow off valve :( i do love the way they sound though.

ok so I've been doing reading for the last hour. I would need to relocate for a BOV.....but I could do a BPV and just vent it to the atmosphere as my current set up sits right now right? And I wouldnt need a tune right?

Can't answer your question, but I love my blow off valve. I have a turbosmart one on my s-trim. Sounds wicked going under an overpass. Sounds great with a v8 and not a 4 banger.

ok so I've been doing reading for the last hour. I would need to relocate for a BOV.....but I could do a BPV and just vent it to the atmosphere as my current set up sits right now right? And I wouldnt need a tune right?

No because all your air is being drawn through your maf meaning its meatered. If you install a BOV you will be allowing meatered air to escape your system. Not only will this throw a check engine light but your car will run like crap also.

You already have a bypass valve on your setup. Bypass valves re-circulate the air that is comming out of the blower back to the inlet after the MAF so the air is still considered meatered.

There is NO way to avoid getting a re-tune if you want the sound of a BOV period!

So what supercharger do you actually have? In your post you said procharger, which are blow thru setups from the factory, in your sig it says Novi 1000, which is suck through.

With my procharger I just put a small K&N filter on the bypass valve and put a rubber cap on the nipple on the intake pipe. It sounds sweet. Especially when you let off the gas at 5 grand. Loud as all hell.

With a suck thru setup you have to convert to blow through. Then do the above.