Can I Gap?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
AA08DCF8-7175-4CCB-8506-FAEA50FC570C.jpeg
So bought these plugs for my car as I’m putting in a new msd cap and rotor, live wires, and Screamin demon coil. Now Davis says to gap to .65, these plugs are pre-gapped at .54 can I gap these more? The guy at the store said bc they are platinums I cannot mess with them or gap further or it will mess them up.

• Sponsors (?)

You are not supposed to gap Platnium or Iridium plugs at all. The metal is only a coating, and easily damaged. No gapping or cleaning. Install the plug, or remove and discard..that's it.

Honestly, I'd return them for motorcraft copper plugs. The 5.0's seem to really love those plugs. The only benefit to platniums is longer replacement intervals. They actually have a higher resistance than copper plugs.

The coil does state the gap can be opened up. Even more reason to try that with plain copper plugs which have less resistance, and can be gapped.

Reactions: 2 users
You are not supposed to gap Platnium or Iridium plugs at all. The metal is only a coating, and easily damaged. No gapping or cleaning. Install the plug, or remove and discard..that's it.

Honestly, I'd return them for motorcraft copper plugs. The 5.0's seem to really love those plugs. The only benefit to platniums is longer replacement intervals. They actually have a higher resistance than copper plugs.

The coil does state the gap can be opened up. Even more reason to try that with plain copper plugs which have less resistance, and can be gapped.
I agree and run Autolite 25's since I cant easily get Motorcraft plugs

BD06A386-C942-42D2-B94B-ADED5649B3E7.jpeg

Thanks for the advice took them back and swapped them out.

BD06A386-C942-42D2-B94B-ADED5649B3E7.jpeg

Thanks for the advice took them back and swapped them out.

Reactions: 1 user
Platinums are for maintenance interval, not performance. Always go with a copper plug for performance. Autolite, NGK, and Motorcraft are all good plugs. I prefer Autolites myself.

Kurt