Efi 351w Swap

• Sponsors (?)

It begins.
full.jpg

When I put the trans on the 351 I didn’t have a clutch alignment tool. I just eyeballed it and the trans went right on! Hopefully everything is alright there! Haha!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a little cold out there without a garage to work in, but it looks like the weather is gonna cooperate for a week or so.
I was completely wrong about the weather. It is freezing outside and there is snow and ice everywhere here in the Philadelphia area. Daddy doesn’t have a garage and cannot work on the Daddywagon. But I can do little things like buy oil and coolant, and finish hoses on the fuel rails. Above 30* and I will be right back out there! Haha!

Reactions: 2 users
Looks good. Great progress!

30 is my limit for working outside as well. Right now the DD needs an oil change but it hasn't been over 10 degrees for a week. As soon as it hits 30 it will feel like t shirt weather

I cranked it over yesterday and tried to start it with some starting fluid. I was unsuccessful. I had every intention of re-stabbing the distributor today when I got home from work, but it’s frigid outside and I got lazy. It is supposed to warm up by the weekend, so maybe saturday after work!

I did bring my flowmaster catback to work and used the company chop saw to cut the tips off. The 302 that was in the car has an oil control problem which means lots of smoke. Exhaust tips were pointed straight at the rear bumper, so I cut them off and will replace them with turndowns.

I stabbed the distributor at zero sprayed some starting fluid and nuthin. I advanced the distributor a wee bit in yhe clockwise direction took off that K&N and sprayed right up in there, and wham! It started! Idled at like 1500 rpm but it started! I tried that adjustment screw and was able to bring the idle down. The computer is re-learning. I started on Johnny Walker Black Label as soon as I got home after picking my son up from school. So I am on an alcohol 351w high!

Reactions: 2 users
Fired it up again as soon as I got home. It’s a little too cold to wrench today, but the weather-persons are saying a warmup is on the way this weekend. I want to put a timing light on it, button up the loose ends and drive the crap out of it!
full.jpg

Yeah should get near 50* this weekend here in CT. so I would imagine you'll be around the same.
Nice progress, post a video of it running if you can.
Yup! Already planning to wrench this weekend. I have had requests for video on forums from the beginning. I guess my next step is a youtube account? Still debating the purchase of a dedicated action cam. If everything falls in to place, wheels back on the ground sunday!

Alright. I have issues. I have an exhaust leak between r/s header and h-pipe. I can hear the valvetrain. They are cobra roller rockers and I’ve read about similar issues. I had no idea where to start with timing so I am at 12–13 btdc. It runs and idles ok even with the exhaust leak. My biggest issue is coolant leak between water pump and timing cover. Maybe between pump and that stupid plate. I disassembled and regasketed and tightened everything and it is STILL leaking heavy. I am going to have to take the whole thing apart again!!