Fox Engine Swap-1996 F150 5.0 Engine Interchangeable?

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
HI Guys, Happy Day before Friday ! :)

I need to swap my blown engine.

I found a sweet deal on a running 1996 F150 5.0

Will that work?

I plan on swapping over;

Upper / Lower Intake
Head Cylinders
CamShaft

Im thinking about buying a new Timing Gear Set, anything else I should swap while Im in there ?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Those pre-97 F150's are actually pretty desirable. If it's that sweet of a deal, you might be better off flipping and buying a crate engine.

Reactions: 1 user
The intake is useless to you. The upper is simply too tall without a huge hood or cutting a hole, and the lower intake is the Holley ststemex style of port design, so unless you can find a Holley upper, not worth keeping

Question - Is the Water Pump Different ? Thanks

I just looked up the Water Pumps for both vehicles...They both have different Part Numbers...

Im guessing I use my Mustang Timing Chain Cover to keep my Mustang Water Pump? Thanks

Last edited:
Question - Is the Water Pump Different ? Thanks

I just looked up the Water Pumps for both vehicles...They both have different Part Numbers...

Im guessing I use my Mustang Timing Chain Cover to keep my Mustang Water Pump? Thanks

Basically what you are doing is taking the F-150 302 down to a short block.

You swap over everything off your Mustang block.

Oil Pan
Timing cover,
accessories
HCI

I don't know what piston a 96 f150 has and I don't know what cam you have but check your piston to valve clearence, as you know some cams don't play well with some pistons.
Just a reminder.
Not that I'm a wizbang mechanic
More like 'I'm lucky it runs cause I stuck it together not know'n cht about it' back yard boob. :jester:

yikes...well, Im hoping for the best as I already paid and picked up the engine and am taking it to the mechanic...and theres no refunds on the engine...or credit vouchers especially after we take it apart haha

If you have a mechanic put'n it together then you likely have no worries, he should know what to do, I made a bad choice once using a crown vic lower end with gt40p's and the e cam that touched the pistons enough to make a sewing machine sound, lucky I didn't hurt nothing.

@gruvee87vertgt
Always be mindful of the pitfall regarding oil pump/distributor drive gears. Roller cam equipped uses steel gears, plain tappet cam uses cast gears. Slipping a non-roller cam distributor in a flat tappet cam engine will result in the distributor gear being "eaten". imp

I would think by 96 all 5.0's would have roller lifters,
Trucks w/5.0 used non-HO camshafts, flat tappet. Where the "breakpoint" came in them, if at all, would need verifying. The gear problem is documented in Ford Motorsports Catalog, which I'll try to find and copy. imp

Trucks w/5.0 used non-HO camshafts, flat tappet. Where the "breakpoint" came in them, if at all, would need verifying. The gear problem is documented in Ford Motorsports Catalog, which I'll try to find and copy. imp
My searching has only roller lifters used in 96 f150 5.0
It is non ho but it is a roller lifter engine

Here is an excerpt from Ford Racing: (see Roller Tappet distributor gear heading)

dstrib10.jpg

It was scanned from:

distri10.jpg