Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Ah who needs a radio.... V8 exhaust is my music !
Well that and the fact that I only drive my car about 250 mi. a year.
I do currently have a CD player installed by po with a removable face plate,
turned it on once to make sure it worked ..lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I rarely listen to my radio, but it would be nice to have some modern tech in the cockpit.

For example, I use WAZE a lot. When I drove my car to work, I took sideroads, but it was nice to have WAZE up on the dash to warn me if I was about to fly by a cop, or if a road was under construction. This happened a lot in Metro Boston.

Not an issue with my current phone, but before I needed a way to charge the phone as well.

I would like some for of Navigation as well. I like to just plug random destinations in and drive. I'd like to do this and leave the phone in my pocket.

Also, the wife usually tests me when i'm out saying things like "When you coming home? The kids are driving me bananas!" (no not really ;) ) so it would be good to have a modern way to stay in touch. The car is pretty loud so I don't always here the text alerts over the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the period correct '93 style CD player, but I no longer own any CD's and don't listen to FM radio much.

I rarely listen to my radio, but it would be nice to have some modern tech in the cockpit.

For example, I use WAZE a lot. When I drove my car to work, I took sideroads, but it was nice to have WAZE up on the dash to warn me if I was about to fly by a cop, or if a road was under construction. This happened a lot in Metro Boston.

Not an issue with my current phone, but before I needed a way to charge the phone as well.

I would like some for of Navigation as well. I like to just plug random destinations in and drive. I'd like to do this and leave the phone in my pocket.

Also, the wife usually tests me when i'm out saying things like "When you coming home? The kids are driving me bananas!" (no not really ;) ) so it would be good to have a modern way to stay in touch. The car is pretty loud so I don't always here the text alerts over the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the period correct '93 style CD player, but I no longer own any CD's and don't listen to FM radio much.
Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the benefit of some modern tech.
For me my hobby / cruiser cars have always been a way to disconnect and have a more visceral experience
but of course I carry my cell and AAA card.

I managed to get some more cables/wiring removed from under the carpet, en route to discovering I have no idea how any of this stuff works or where to even start trying to wire the speakers to the head unit, lol. The Fox might need to go without music for a while until I can figure out a new setup and either learn how to install it or have someone more knowledgeable help me out.

In the meanwhile, I got the new gasket and shifter in. I still need to adjust the stop point bolt things.
B9E3D8F0-0490-41C7-B712-3B1E4AA90778.jpeg
4CE1E898-8400-4996-BEA4-77F5E856337D.jpeg

I’m waiting on a new lower shift boot and metal ring to arrive. I suppose I will do some vacuuming before I start putting the seats back in.

When you get the boot, you will have to trim the hole to fit over the tower so be very consevative, cut it small and use some spray lube and slide it over the tower, the rubber will stretch quite a bit, you want it pretty tight, yours looks like the top ring will unbolt from the shift plate so that may make a tight fit under it easier.

When you get the boot, you will have to trim the hole to fit over the tower so be very consevative, cut it small and use some spray lube and slide it over the tower, the rubber will stretch quite a bit, you want it pretty tight, yours looks like the top ring will unbolt from the shift plate so that may make a tight fit under it easier.
According to LMR, the SVE shifter doesn’t require any adjustment for the boot to fit. Stand by for that being absolutely not true, lol.

Crutchfield...... another cool catalog I enjoyed looking through back in the day!! It’s cool that they made it through and are still in business!

not only did they make it, but they’re one of the best in the business. Only place I buy car audio from!
I was pleasantly surprised to see them still in business. I remember looking through their catalogs when I was a teenager blowing all my money on stereo components for my :poo:box truck.

According to LMR, the SVE shifter doesn’t require any adjustment for the boot to fit. Stand by for that being absolutely not true, lol.
Ok, that may be true, it's been a minute, mine had a hole just big enough to stick the handle through, and after looking at all the dirt, dust and road crap on and around the old shifter I wanted to seal the shifter part that fits in the tower from the road grime and crap at the base of the shifter, and I'm thinking there was instructions about trimming the boot to fit. It was long ago and don't remember where I got the boot, possibly Fox Mustang Restoration.

Ok, that may be true, it's been a minute, mine had a hole just big enough to stick the handle through, and after looking at all the dirt, dust and road crap on and around the old shifter I wanted to seal the shifter part that fits in the tower from the road grime and crap at the base of the shifter, and I'm thinking there was instructions about trimming the boot to fit. It was long ago and don't remember where I got the boot, possibly Fox Mustang Restoration.
I was looking at the hardware yesterday and it does include this washer which supposedly prevents the shifter boot from getting caught in the shifter stops and in the same video I got the screenshot from, that’s where he says the lower shift boot doesn’t need to be modified. I guess I could try with the old one and just see if it fits.
BF97F6C5-5D03-43F9-AB0B-F497A2E219FE.jpeg

Another shot from the LMR page that shows how it looks with shifter handle but boot not on yet.
C58ADAA0-4A02-4EF9-8CC7-3F9702B44A28.jpeg

Just tried it with the old lower shift boot and it seems to work as described. I put the washer on first and then the boot.
E8940F2F-911A-4E27-BA1E-FCDAB6860596.jpeg

Here it is with the shifter handle it came with
CF9FAFE8-103E-4BA5-82D0-8A5392A28672.jpeg

Just tried it with the old lower shift boot and it seems to work as described. I put the washer on first and then the boot.
E8940F2F-911A-4E27-BA1E-FCDAB6860596.jpeg

Here it is with the shifter handle it came with
CF9FAFE8-103E-4BA5-82D0-8A5392A28672.jpeg
I believe there is a boot that fits around the shifter mechanism itself, before that goes on. That keeps stuff out of the cabin, the other boot protects the shifter.

I believe there is a boot that fits around the shifter mechanism itself, before that goes on. That keeps stuff out of the cabin, the other boot protects the shifter.
Ahhhh...I didn’t realize that. I should have ordered a replacement one of those too. Will have to look into finding one that fits with this shifter.
3AEDF288-E547-45FB-9637-F29FFB8E9270.jpeg

This makes more sense reading it now. Lol.