Engine First start after 8 months, smoking in the engine bay.

sounds like you wired something wrong with the fan install. I would start by disconnecting the power wire from the battery to the fan. Then check for voltage drop from the battery to the solenoid, down to the starter... also check the grounds for continuity. Check for any + wires under the hood that are melted, grounded, YOu may have to unwrap them from the loom. electrical tape. FInally make sure you rewired the wires going to the solenoid correctly.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like you wired something wrong with the fan install. I would start by disconnecting the power wire from the battery to the fan. Then check for voltage drop from the battery to the solenoid, down to the starter... also check the grounds for continuity. Check for any + wires under the hood that are melted, grounded, YOu may have to unwrap them from the loom. electrical tape. FInally make sure you rewired the wires going to the solenoid correctly.
Thank you. I will update what I find.

If your battery read 11 volts and all you did was charge it, stop now, pull the battery, take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested first. 11v static is not sufficient, as noted prior.

If it's been sitting 8 months not maintained, it could have discharged to the point it won't recover (take a full charge) again.

The only way to know is have the battery load trested. As general stated, start with the basics first, go from there. I dont have your first post up right now. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

The smoking you described concerns me. Something got hot in that area, check all wires, components and connections in that area real good. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If your battery read 11 volts and all you did was charge it, stop now, pull the battery, take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested first. 11v static is not sufficient, as noted prior.

If it's been sitting 8 months not maintained, it could have discharged to the point it won't recover (take a full charge) again.

The only way to know is have the battery load trested. As general stated, start with the basics first, go from there. I dont have your first post up right now. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

The smoking you described concerns me. Something got hot in that area, check all wires, components and connections in that area real good. Good luck.
I will get my battery tested. Yes I changed the fuel filter after it wouldn’t start because I thought that was the problem. It reads 35psi at the Schrader valve. The only thing that I changed that area when I did all of the work to it was headers as well as some electric fan wiring that is over there.

Though it should be noted that I do smell the same burning smell every time I try to start the car.

I am not an expert but I have a hunch that the burning you smell could be the starter, battery, or ground cables. I would feel them to see if they’re warm. If they are check to see all your connections are tight and in good shape.. including your battery terminals and ground cable. Speaking of grounds, is your ground from the engine to the body present?

Here’s a pic of my cylinder 1 spark plug if this can tell anyone anything, they were brand new

Attachments

• C388CBA1-543A-415C-A176-76415BEF85E5.jpeg
    C388CBA1-543A-415C-A176-76415BEF85E5.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 49
I am not an expert but I have a hunch that the burning you smell could be the starter, battery, or ground cables. I would feel them to see if they’re warm. If they are check to see all your connections are tight and in good shape.. including your battery terminals and ground cable. Speaking of grounds, is your ground from the engine to the body present?
It’s coming from the driver side of the car so you might be right about the battery or the ground cables. Where is the engine to body ground? I will feel if it’s hot after I start once I get it assembled again
Here’s a pic of my cylinder 1 spark plug if this can tell anyone anything

There is the main battery to block ground, it's bolted to the timing cover that has a boss by the oil sending unit. There is a smaller wire from the negative cable to the inner fender panel between the battery and the solenoid, the same screw should have another wire to a cylindrical connector. There is the ground that attaches to the back of the driver side head to a screw on the fire wall. I doubt it would be a ground wire that is overheating, You should be able to tell if you have a burnt wire in the glob of wires below the solenoid, the plastic covering the wire will be all goofy and soft.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: it was the ignition coil.
I know I’m an idiot, don’t remind me.
There was still a ton of smoke though, I think even more than before. I was too scared to let it run longer so I never had a chance to get out of the car and tell where it was coming from.
I am also curious as to why my ignition coil went bad in the first place.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Update: it was the ignition coil.
I know I’m an idiot, don’t remind me.
There was still a ton of smoke though, I think even more than before. I was too scared to let it run longer so I never had a chance to get out of the car and tell where it was coming from.
I am also curious as to why my ignition coil went bad in the first place.

Thanks for the help everybody.
If you never took your car to church, that’s why the coil went bad and started to smoke. :jester:

You can learn what melted wire insulation smells like by creating a short on a sacrificial wire. Trying this at home will be informative but not probably safe. Get your jumper cables hooked up to the battery so you do not create a spark near the battery, and touch the wire to the other clamps that are away from the battery. The wire should act like a fuseable link, but some wire is going to get hot. Wear leather gloves, or don’t do it at all. Use your good judgement here.
:chin:scratch:

If you never took your car to church, that’s why the coil went bad and started to smoke. :jester:

You can learn what melted wire insulation smells like by creating a short on a sacrificial wire. Trying this at home will be informative but not probably safe. Get your jumper cables hooked up to the battery so you do not create a spark near the battery, and touch the wire to the other clamps that are away from the battery. The wire should act like a fuseable link, but some wire is going to get hot. Wear leather gloves, or don’t do it at all. Use your good judgement here.
:chin:scratch:
Noted, will sit it next to me this Sunday.

Sounds like a fun experiment. I’ll check it out, thank you.

Alright another update
Started him (yes my car is a dude) up again today a few times and it seemed as if the smoking died down more and more each time. I noticed it was coming from my headers and that might be because of a break fluid leak I had in the area. I set timing and he is purring. Question though, is this distributor not sitting flush? I can’t get it down any further because of the little hold down. This is a new aftermarket distributor:
AA4C27BD-A12C-4073-98DA-77CC5D458615.jpeg
PS:the bolt was loose in the image