First start up using megasquirt.. 1992 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

Words of wisdom...

Datalog...datalog...datalog...

These are your best tools to updating the tune as they tell you everything that is going on.

This is one of the main reasons for the latest update to my digital dash to automate the starting and stopping of the datalog for me. All I do now is start/stop the engine and the dash does the rest for me.

Also, the longer the datalog the better , but just drive softly for your first drive. This will help tune in your part throttle area, which is the main area you are in while driving anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Words of wisdom...

Datalog...datalog...datalog...

These are your best tools to updating the tune as they tell you everything that is going on.

This is one of the main reasons for the latest update to my digital dash to automate the starting and stopping of the datalog for me. All I do now is start/stop the engine and the dash does the rest for me.

Also, the longer the datalog the better , but just drive softly for your first drive. This will help tune in your part throttle area, which is the main area you are in while driving anyways.

Yea the plan is just to "drive" no funny stuff.. No WOT pulls. No slides. Just drive. Ill be sure to datalog it. Ill be a happy camper if i can get this dialed in before my build. Be alot easier to tune what im building cause that diy basetune isnt the greatest

I mean if you insist....:rolleyes:

Well i tried the ve analzye and now it surges when i start it. I had the rpm filter set to 950. Now im guessin to stop the surging i gotta adjust my warm up enrichments and maybe afterstart enrichments . i could lower my idle abit more but that to me seems like a bandaid fix instead of fixing the problem but heres the datalog from usin ve analyze on the table to lean it out abit , takin my first ride in a few mins.

Attachments

• 2019-04-04_14.19.36.msl-april 4th Ve analyze table.msl
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
i think my Intake sensor got heat soaked and is causing me to have lean starts while hot.. cause for some reason my hot starts, start up fine then 4 seconds into it it starts surging. i had to hold the gas to calm it down.. so its either going lean.. or not enough air. my feeling is its going lean.. all i know is i gotta figure it out.. haha but it also could be my idle adaptive settings are too high aswell, -300 -150, 0 150,300.. datalog shows it swings High and bounces low and the idle valves trying to correct it so i think that could be one cause of the surge at idle.. its over correcting itself to far and causing a fluctuation ... Im might lower the rpm delta to something abit more manageable .. like -150,-50, 0 , 50 ,150

Last edited:
i think my Intake sensor got heat soaked and is causing me to have lean starts while hot.. cause for some reason my hot starts .. start up fine then 4 seconds into it it starts surging. i had to hold the gas to calm it down.. so its either going lean.. or not enough air. my feeling is its going lean.. all i know is i gotta figure it out.. haha
If it only happens on hot start look at the enrichments. You can also disable the mat correction at startup in the main idle settings

ill have to check that out.. but like i said it could be either the hot start issue.. which im sure it plays a factor in it.. but i did notice in the datalog that my idle valve is compensating for it.. idle valve rises ,the rpm falls , idle valve rises, rpm falls.. so im not 100% convinced its the heat soak of the sensor.. because in the datalog it shows that the car started fine for like 10 seconds. then it started to surge.. if it was heat soak wouldnt of it started surging right away?

I see 2 issues
#1 your lean after the hot start. Hit the startup/idle tab and go into the cranking/idle settings turn on Ignore mat correction during ASE to see if it helps.
#2 your idle smooths right out when you get kicked from CL idle in that datalog, look at datalog field status2 when the bitwise function shows "128" your in CL idle. I would try and reduce the idle valve correction speed, to do this go into closed loop idle functions and lower the valve gain slider bar. you may need to play with this setting until the idle valve does what it is supposed to. the idle advanced correction may also be causing this fluctuation.

Yes i found it LOL but like i said that first time its kicked out of cl idle I held the gas at that point,... i was also reving it up and stuff so unless im missing something... just about everytime it kicked out of cl idle is cause i was giving it gas..

also my closed loop idle pid gains is set to basic if thats what your refering too.. so im guessing maybe back that slider down from 1075 to maybe 950 and see how it acts... i actually just did a cold start and it really wasnt bad at all... i made some corrections to my duty% somce i changed my cl loop targets down...sounded better and didnt surge alot.. backing the slider down abit might just fix it

This was done like 15 mins ago.... way way better.. didnt surge.. all i did was smooth out my target rpm curve.. and raised my duty% to get me just above my target so it would settle into it.. i think i was making the mistake of having the valve at the rpm i was targeting instead of above it so it was dropping instead of falling into it.. but i will try lowering that closed loop idle slider to see if it helps keep it on target abit more

Attachments

• 2019-04-04_20.36.28.msl-nighttime april 4th full cool down cold start new settings for idle va...msl
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
the startup looks really good, you may want to extend the warmup enrichment out until 175* and give it a few percent '105' at 160* and let it taper away to 100 at 175. this will stop you from going lean at that one little spot.

Reactions: 1 user