Evan Kramer

Jan 22, 2018
My friend has a 1996 Mustang GT that he wants to LS swap (he's a sinner) later this summer, and I want to do a V8 swap in my car which is a 1998 Mustang V6. He said he'd sell it to me for $850, but I was wondering if I also needed to buy his transmission from him or if the two cars use the same transmission. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

but I was wondering if I also needed to buy his transmission from him or if the two cars use the same transmission.
The OHV V6 and a Modular motor do NOT use the same bolt pattern. Count the number of bolt holes around the stater.

Is your "friend" going to sell just the Motor for $850? This thread does not state how many miles but honestly 850 for a SOHC 4.6 doesn't seem like a steal to me.

For proof go to car-part.com and search for a replacement salvage yard motor. How much are they going for?

Better yet. Look for a motor from a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car. How much?

I suspect that 650 is a more "reasonable" price for a SOHC 4.6.

Is this a good friend?

The OHV V6 and a Modular motor do NOT use the same bolt pattern. Count the number of bolt holes around the stater.

Is your "friend" going to sell just the Motor for $850? This thread does not state how many miles but honestly 850 for a SOHC 4.6 doesn't seem like a steal to me.

For proof go to car-part.com and search for a replacement salvage yard motor. How much are they going for?

Better yet. Look for a motor from a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car. How much?

I suspect that 650 is a more "reasonable" price for a SOHC 4.6.

Is this a good friend?
He is the leader of the car group I am in, so we are somewhat close. There is 170k miles on the engine, but he has offered to rebuild it for me.

You might want to look further into what other parts you will need to do the swap ie harness, driveshaft etc. Most of the conversions have the donor car to steal the parts needed.
Lots of threads about doing this and what is required. If he will get it rebuilt correctly then $850.00 is reasonable but otherwise not with that many miles. Also if he is willing to help with the install then the price could be adjusted accordingly too. Hope you are good at mechanical/electrical things for this. Could be fun or a nightmare.

I wouldn't pay $850 for a rebuilt, 170k mile '96 sohc 4.6l.

Honestly, with all the little odds and ends you'll need to swap your v6 car, you really are better off just selling your car and getting a 96-98 mustang GT. They aren't exactly the most desirable V8 mustangs so they tend to sell cheap.