Head Swap Build Thread: And other Improvements

b/c of the insurance settlement looks like I wont have any issue buying heads sometime soon. Been thinking a lot about it lately and about possible PVC issues with the Trickflow 205 heads. If I was to get something closer to what the AFR 185's were would it lessen my chances of PVC issues? I was thinking of going with these.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400015 - Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® Track Heat® 190 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Trickflow 190cc 64cc combustion chamber heads, still CNC machined. Little bigger then the 185's with smaller combustion chambers but not quite as big as 205's but still enough to get the job done. I know the 72cc combustion chambers on the AFR's were killing my compression so anything getting me higher compression will be a better head to begin with.

Thoughts on the 190cc heads?

• Sponsors (?)

B/c getting heads ported is as expensive as hell and high ports are expensive and any trickflow heads out of the box will flow fine with what I have

Well a lot of heads will flow fine with what you have.

Nothing you are describing is remotely close to cheap. :p The hi ports are $50 cheaper than those CNC'd twisted wedges. And from what Brian told me, hi ports have a ton of potential in them...even if you didnt want to port them now you would have that option later. Can the same be said about those ones u posted? (not saying it cant be said, just asking)

Is this going to be it for the motor? Or will you want to upgrade in a year or 2?

No this is it, I want the whole car to be done in 2012. My biggest issue right now is I want a good set of heads that are not going to give me PVC issues b/c having to cut the pistons or replace them is going to be a major PITA for me.

Its not that I'm trying to cut corners but I figured the 190's flow pretty close to the 205's and that I did not have issues with AFR 185's so I did not think I would with TF 190's b/c its been stated that their could be issues with the TF 205's. In the end I want something with smaller combustion chambers then what I had and something a little bigger then what I had before so this all becomes worthwhile for me.

I would not say that later on might not consider porting whatever heads go on it but I'm done as far as buying parts in that sense. What is the deal with the high ports...how do they stack up to the 190 heads?

sorry, please remond me (old guy's syndrome you know) ... are you staying 351 or stroking it? if staying 351, then the AFRs should flow plenty for you. 205s are plenty for my setup. and AFRs are CNC ported at the factory, so no porting is necessary. but really, you should talk to ed curtis and tell him your goals. he will recommend a total package that will get you what you are looking for and probably more. if you do it right the first time, then you don't have to do it again.

its staying a 351. I want trick flow heads not AFR's. That aspect is not up for debate. Currently my biggest concern is getting a set of heads and then having PVC issues so thats why I'm wondering if there is any difference with the 190's VS the 205's in that aspect?

its staying a 351. I want trick flow heads not AFR's. That aspect is not up for debate. Currently my biggest concern is getting a set of heads and then having PVC issues so thats why I'm wondering if there is any difference with the 190's VS the 205's in that aspect?

They both have the same size valves with the same layout so there will be absolutely no difference in valve clearance.

If it was me and I know you didn't ask but I would look for some used canfield 195's with a 54cc chamber. I only say used because they are not available anymore. Have those ported and you will probably have less money in them. Canfields are very comparable to high ports in design.

sorry, i did not realize you were set on the trick flow heads. i bet that is somewhere in your earlier posts, but there is just too much there to read through it all, sorry.

i still think this is a valid statement ...
... talk to ed curtis and tell him your goals. he will recommend a total package that will get you what you are looking for and probably more. ...

I have not read all 7 pages but are you feeling that the AFR heads are what are limiting your HP from where it could potenially be? If so what made you feel that way?

Paul its b/c they were 72cc combustion chambers and I'm staying N/A. My compression ratio kicked ass for boost but was killing my power N/A. The car was boosted before I bought it hence the lower compression heads.

Ed Curtis has suggested a set of his heads since Ive been in contact with him.

After e-mailing with Ed this was his suggestion.

Trick Flow Specialties 240HR High Port Ford: $2595
Stud mounted non-emissions
100% CNC 240cc Intake Ports
100% CNC 95cc Exhaust Ports
100% CNC 68cc Combustion Chambers
Multi-angle Competition Valve Job
2.055” Stainless 8mm Intake Valves
1.600” Stainless 8mm Exhaust Valves
Lunati Hydraulic Roller Dual Valve Springs

7º Lightweight Chromemoly Retainers
7º Hardened & Machined Valve Locks
Viton Valve Stem Seals
Hardened Spring Locators

I can mill them to about 58cc if we're careful....

This is price with the upgraded valve springs on them for what I would need go along w/ his cam. Said that he may have to swap to 2.020 intake valves