help me get my 89 lx into a decent track car

wgpaintballer

Oct 7, 2005
Hey i have a 1989 lx 5.0 and im starting to get into drag racing. Im thinking of a engine swap, engine upgrades, slicks, possibly a supercharger and some nos. My goal is to beat a 2003 svt cobra which is runnin a low 13 to a high 12. I would also liks some infomation on a crowl induction hood. Also how hard is it to install a roll cage.

thank you for your help

• Sponsors (?)

:nice:
wgpaintballer said:
Hey i have a 1989 lx 5.0 and im starting to get into drag racing. Im thinking of a engine swap, engine upgrades, slicks, possibly a supercharger and some nos. My goal is to beat a 2003 svt cobra which is runnin a low 13 to a high 12. I would also liks some infomation on a crowl induction hood. Also how hard is it to install a roll cage.

thank you for your help

..you definatly dont NEED a motor swap to get there first of all, of course you could but mucho $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

A good start would be to get teh Trick Flow Engine kit from summitt http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp this kit should alone give you roughly 300rwhp. From there you could go with a blower of some sort and run about 10 or 11#'s of boost. That will put you at around 425rwhp. The rule of thumb is anythign over 450rwhp on a stock block is trouble... You could also definatly do exhaust with an o/r midipe and a decent catback. ALso definatly get some fatter wheels and some good drag radials or slicks. That should be more than enough to beat an 03 cobra... O and about teh roll cage...there are many cages you can buy, but most require welding although there maybe a few that are bolted on :shrug: .hopefully this helps! :cheers: ..o yeah and weight reduction always helps 2

I used to think it took big HP to get good ET's. Well, after going through this and that I have found that isn't really the case. Knock off some weight, get some serious traction and a few mods and your looking at low 13's high 12's easily. NMRA Factory Stock class of racing, look at the times they are running with not that many mods.

So you want to drag race? First of all you need traction to get it out of the hole. Who cares how fast you can get on top of the roof if your locked in the basement when the flood water is comming. Get some full slicks perferably in 28" but 26" will be fine on a decent size rim such as a weld 15x8 and put a 15x3.5 up from with a 165R15. Throw in a steep gear, 4.10 if not 4.30 and if you did get those 28" slicks, 4.30 but I suggest 4.56. A full spool would be nice but a tight factory traction-loc will do you fine. Get a good set of weight-jacker style lower controll arms and some adjustable uppers, remove the front swaybar, get some 4-banger front springs. Lakewood 90/10's in the front and 50/50 rear. Now that you can get her to hook, time to take off some weight. The weight in the front is the most important to remove.. Remove the A/C, P/S, move the battery to the rear, electric fan, pull off the front bumper core. Just do anything you can to remove wieght. If you do a search you'll find lots of info on it. Be sure the engine and trans is in working order and go kick some butt. Oh yeah, learn to drive it like you hate it. This is just me, maby others would do it differently.

gears, tires, K&N, air up those front tires, shorties, off road h pipe, cat back, ported stock lower intake, remove ya spare, thow in a bag of nitrous and you can run low 12's possibly high 11's with some good driving!
Good luck
let us know how it comes out
Jack