HELP! Which heads (AFR 165's or Track Heat's)?

Fri Guy

15 Year Member
May 10, 2007
AFR 165's or TF Track Heat's??????

It's pretty much a stock 306 bottom end with about 30K miles. Pistons are not notched so I can't use the AFR 185's. I have a E303, Typhoon Intake & all supporting mods like injectors, TB, MAF, CAI, MSD, full exhaust, etc....... My stang is only used as a daily driver & has never seen the track. Just want more power on the street. Suspension will be next after I get some heads & a tune. So LMK what you think!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I I have seen guys use 185 heads, it all depend on their cam. E-cam shouldn't be a problem due to not being .500 lift. Anything over .500lift should have pistons notched. But I am using the Afr 165 and I am happy with them and I have E-cam as well

I personally have the afr 165s. They work great for me, but either would be a great head.

However, be careful if you go with used heads. I bought a set with suppossedly 5k miles and the valve guides were wore slap out. That right there basically wasted my savings of buying a used head versus new.

Both are great heads. You won't be disappointed with either one. Bang for the buck the TFS heads are unbeatable but for out of the box the CNC porting on the AFRs are beautiful. The one nice thing about the TFS heads is you won't feel bad getting them ported later on if your application changes.
Kevin

How much power can you produce, with the 165's assuming you are running boost. I'm kind of building an intermediate engine at the moment but eventually I'll be running a DART 347 stroker with mad boost. I want a head that can handle about 7-800 hp. and I don't want to have to buy them twice. So if I get 185's will they be doggish on my NA combo until I build the big daddy later on?