how to install duraspark correctly

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
When installing duraspark II (with magnetic pickup) still lacking some info to do it right. Timing marks on my engine are obviously off as piston #1 starts to move down at some 10-15 deg. before TDC mark. So doing it by piston's position. Just wondering at what piston position it is best to align the magnetic pickup with the reluctor?

How precise this moment has to be? E.g. when the distributor fires when the piston is 0.05" under the TDC (moving down) is this too much? Or should it fire while piston is travelling upwards just before TDC?

Also, when is the magnetic signal picked up? it it when the reluctor is fully overlapped with magnetic sensor as shown on the photo, or partially when the reluctor just starts overlaping with the pickup sensor?

If it is installed incorrectly what is likely to break first in the engine (if anything)?

Attachments

• duraspark.jpg
    duraspark.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,106
  • Sponsors (?)

Have you already removed the original distributor?
You want the rotor to be pointing at the number one plug in the cap, with #1 ATDC.

If you are off by a tooth one way or the other, you will not suffer any major failure, only noticeably crappy performance. You want the vacuum advance 'about' in the middle of it's travel.
So, if you are stabbing it in for the very first time, you want the pointer of your timing marker at "0", #1ATDC, with the rotor pointing at the number one plug wire in the cap, so that the vacuum advance is about in the middle of it's travel.

What is this timing light for? I've read that it should be pointed to the damper wheel while engine is running, and at the same time read (from the dampener scale) how much advance the engine is running when the light flashes. Is this pretty much how it works?

The timing light "blinks" every time the #1 wire fires. You point the light at the timing marker so you can see when it fires, and make your adjustments accordingly.
Keep in mind that engines are like people, what makes one happy may not work for yours....

First off--if your piston is moving down at the point where Top Dead Center, or TDC appears, or prior to that, you REALLY need to replace your damper!

When something like this occurs, that means the damper outer ring has slipped, and there is no way, no how you are ever going to accurately know what the timing is.

Dampers aren't all that expensive, and they aren't all that hard to replace, either.

Do yourself a favor, and replace it--you'll be glad you did!

Secondly--Since your post asking about what a timing light is or does seems to indicate you're not very familiar or not familiar at all with ignition timing, here are a few basics:

Gasoline (or any fuel, for that matter) takes a certain amount of time to burn.

It's for this very reason that the spark plug is fired at a point prior to TDC (BEFORE TDC or BTDC), and that the faster the engine is spinning, the more prior to TDC the spark plug is fired; this is known as "ignition timing", and when the plug fires BTDC, it is known as "ignition advance".

If you fire your spark plug when the piston is at TDC, most of the fuel will still be burning as the piston is traveling downward; any point after that would be known as ATDC or AFTER TDC, and in this case, the "ignition timing" would be "retarded".

The way you want it set is so that the fuel burn provides the maximum amount of pressure on the top of the piston as it's making it's way down the cylinder; to that end, there are three types of ignition advance--initial advance, vacuum advance and mechanical or centrigual advance.

Vacuum and mechanical advance systems are used on older cars prior to the advent of the computer-controlled ignition system; they have either a combination of both vacuum and mechanical, or mechanical only.

The idea is to create an "advance curve" for the ignition advance that, when you combine all types together, reach a limit of a certain number of degrees BTDC when the spark plug fires so that the fuel will burn the most complete at each RPM range in the curve.

The "initial" advance is the number of degrees you set at idle, with no load and no other sources of advance (mechanical advance usually starts coming in at an RPM range just above idle, such as 1200 or 1500RPM), and so when we "set the timing" using a timing light, we are setting the initial timing.

Vacuum advance is used under part throttle and cruise conditions, and as the name indicates, it's actuated by vacuum; most vacuum advance systems are not adjustable, except for aftermarket vacuum advance cannisters, and in most cases, it's not necessary to change the settings used for this system.

Mechanical advance is built into each distributor that is not computer controlled, and uses weights and springs to rotoate the position of the "breaker plate" or the location of the rotor in relation to the location of the distributor shaft so that it places the leading edge of the rotor a few degrees ahead of where it was at idle, which essentially then "advances" the ignition timing. This system can be adjusted, and it's best done using purpose-built distributor machines.

In most cases, setting the timing or adjusting the curve isn't going to vary too much from the stock settings, other than perhaps a couple of degrees more and having full advance occur sooner (at a lower RPM range).

As has been previously indicated by other posters, you want to "stab" your distributor so that the rotor is pointing near the location of the number 1 spark plug tower, and the vacuum advance assembly is about halfway between as far clockwise it can go and as far counterclockwise it can go, but of course, you want the dampener to be at TDC or just a few degrees BTDC when you end up with the rotor at the final #1 spark plug terminal location.

I tried it today starting at tdc and slightly advanced timing (turning distributor cap clockwise) yet I see backfires (flames through the intake-->carb) and no start. Just wondering, is this problem due to bad timing, or could that be also carb-related problem? For some reason it is also putting too much gas. it's holley 4150 completely cleaned, and replaced needle assembly, gaskets, power valve and AC pumps. Idle set to 1 3/4 turns. .67 mm PRI and .76 SEC jets. How deep the needle should be screwed in? Can someone please advise? Holley instruction say unscrew sight holes, start the engine, and while the gas is leaking at you and your spouse set the needle. Do you have some better way?

Turn the engine back to the original position, #1 cyl on top, pointer at "0".

Remove distributor cap, and see where the rotor is.If the rotor is pointing 'opposite' of the #1 plug wire, towards the #6, you are 180 degrees out.

Re connect the coil, and try again.

Can you borrow another carb until you get the timing figure out? I HIGHLY doubt that your carb is causing you the trouble. It is the engine timing and probably a few vacuum leaks.

Then, when the engine is a known factor, try and get the carb dialed in.

From TDC I tried dialing in the distributor while cranking maybe 20 times each time different position milimeter by milimeter yet I could not get it started. also sprayed starting fluid while keeping holley dry, slightly opened throttle, tried with choke, still nothing. Spark is present at the plug while cranking. I can fire it only to the carb, not to move the piston.

What about cam? Could it happen that different one was shipped to me (than ordered) by summit (well it's their brand K3601, at least the box says)? Do any later model HO have cast iron distributor gear and is the early 302 cam interchangeable with the 302 HO cams (sure except firing order)? Or any other cams like for chevy?

The cam determines the firing order. So, although you may be at #1 TDC (compression stroke, remember), the rest of the spark plug wires may not be going to the right plug.

The firing order is usually on a piece of paper supplied with the cam. With that in hand, follow your spark plugs around the cap, from #1, to determine you have them plugged in the correct order.

You can be only sure about firing order when physically checking cam lobes and their sequence, and not from a piece of paper. FO was the first thing I triple- checked.

I think your problems have been covered. Get a new damper, make sure cylinder #1 is on TDC of the compression stroke, and stab the distributor with the rotor pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap. It really is that simple. The engine should fire on ether with no backfiring if the ignition is at least baselined correctly. If you're trying to set ignition timing with a slipped damper, you're never going to get it right. Well, technically you can, but I think it's beyond the scope of this thread.

1.) Do any later model HO have cast iron distributor gear and 2.) is the early 302 cam interchangeable with the 302 HO cams (sure except firing order)? 3.)Or any other cams like for chevy?

1.)No, 2.) it depends, and 3.) I have no idea about GM cams. All the 5.0 HOs had roller cams that require a steel gear. Summit's product page doesn't say, but I would bet your cam has the old 1-5-4... firing order and not the 351W/5.0 1-3-7...

I think your problems have been covered. Get a new damper, make sure cylinder #1 is on TDC of the compression stroke, and stab the distributor with the rotor pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap. It really is that simple. The engine should fire on ether with no backfiring if the ignition is at least baselined correctly. If you're trying to set ignition timing with a slipped damper, you're never going to get it right. Well, technically you can, but I think it's beyond the scope of this thread.

1.)No, 2.) it depends, and 3.) I have no idea about GM cams. All the 5.0 HOs had roller cams that require a steel gear. Summit's product page doesn't say, but I would bet your cam has the old 1-5-4... firing order and not the 351W/5.0 1-3-7...

Actually, it DOES provide the firing order . . . sort of--

If you go to the Summit website and search for the "K3601" part number, it brings up one result; open that up, and at the bottom of the screen are two .PDF files.

This is the link to the one where it specifies that this camshaft was designed for "1962-up Ford-Mercury V-8 221-302 cu in (except 1982-up 302 H.O.)"

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-3601.pdf

That means it requires the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order . . .

65ShelbyClone, it looks like you hit the nail right on the head!