If we're running 4s why do we want to sound like V8s?

I don't mean to start a controversy, but why does it seem that everyone wants to sound like they're running an 8? I can see not wanting to sound "ricey" but are we not running 4s as well? I own a 4 cyl and I own that. As for my own car I will be running a (stainless steel)Supertrapp muffler(one of two I have left over from my old Crown Vic, a V8 car)cheifly because it is a tuneable muffler. What will it sound like? I know this: a 4 cyl.

Also: I believe I would have more to talk about with a "ricer" than a V8 guy, who would probably just tell me to put a V8 in my 'stang so I could be like him. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

The V8 rumble is the legendary muscle car sound. It is the sound of a tough and mean vehicle. Owning a mustang still needs to hold some sort of muscle evne if it is a 4 cyl. The V8 rumble is an awsome sound, and it makes people intimidated.

I am borderline on this issue. I AGREE!!!! that the Mustang needs to meet the image and have the sound, but I am going to the sleeper mode on mine. I intend on it not having the "Ricer" sound so it will probabally end up with a turbo muffler set up as duals

How cool would it be if you pull up to the gas station sounding like a V8 and some guys say, MAN that sounds some nice, 5L?. no 2.3 :rlaugh: . Has anyone besides me said, Ya the gas prices are so high I prefer a 2.3L but have a 5 in my garage. hahaha Ya i done that. I do have to admit, have the CCAI built and installed , My car sound pretty damn good.

I was at the gas station two weeks ago with the car on the trailor(not running) and a guy walked up and said" Whewee look at that exhaust,You got a 5 point 0 in 'nat" I laughed at said come here let me show you. I popped the hood and he said "what do you think your going to do with that". My friend sitting in the "rumbling" Gt beside the trailor said "He beat me pretty bad."
Shocked the guy just walked away and didn't say anything.

I killed the image for him. :D

freakintiger said:
I don't mean to start a controversy, but why does it seem that everyone wants to sound like they're running an 8? I can see not wanting to sound "ricey" but are we not running 4s as well? I own a 4 cyl and I own that. As for my own car I will be running a (stainless steel)Supertrapp muffler(one of two I have left over from my old Crown Vic, a V8 car)cheifly because it is a tuneable muffler. What will it sound like? I know this: a 4 cyl.

Also: I believe I would have more to talk about with a "ricer" than a V8 guy, who would probably just tell me to put a V8 in my 'stang so I could be like him. :nonono:

I have noticed that the 4 cyl hatch and notch drivers seem to be more likely to mod their cars a lot further than the 'vert drivers. I'm happy with a docile convertible. Now If I had a hatchback, for example, I would definitely want more performance and attitude from my 'Stang. The large percentage of highly modified 'Stangs I hear about in the 2.3 forum are hardtops. It's just my viewpoint, maybe I'm way off. A plain 2.3 convertible can still be a lot of fun, despite it's slowness. How fun is a plain 2.3 (slow) hardtop without all those cool mods??

furvel said:
I have noticed that the 4 cyl hatch and notch drivers seem to be more likely to mod their cars a lot further than the 'vert drivers. I'm happy with a docile convertible. Now If I had a hatchback, for example, I would definitely want more performance and attitude from my 'Stang. The large percentage of highly modified 'Stangs I hear about in the 2.3 forum are hardtops. It's just my viewpoint, maybe I'm way off. A plain 2.3 convertible can still be a lot of fun, despite it's slowness. How fun is a plain 2.3 (slow) hardtop without all those cool mods??

I'm gonna have to agree with that Furvel. I have a vert, and the experience is totally different with the top down, rather than the notch/hatch. Even if I have to wait for sunny days the 2.3 vert is worth it :)

As for the 2.3's sounding like v8's, I believe that you shouldn't try to be something you're not. If you have the power to back up the sound and looks, go for it. If not then, sadly I think the "ricer" mentality comes in.

freakintiger said:

Very good question :nice:

This has been going through my mind for years. I just figured since no one liked my post on duel exhaust on a 4 banger they would feel the same about this question also :rolleyes: I understand that people bought there car and do with it the way they want. Moding your car out is almost a must do in my book ;) But to try and make it sound like a V8 is a little weird :scratch: No matter what you do people will be able to tell if its a V8 or not exspecaily a V8 guy. Sure it may sound like one idleing but when you get on it there want be that DEEP throuty V8 sound. I'm talking about pure power not exhaust sound, the kind you get from under the hood :nice: If you got a 2.3T this pretty much sounds the same way when you launch :D I really wonder how much money people put into there 2.3's that they could have just bought a 5.0L instead. I KNOW I have more money in my car than most 79-93' 5.0L guys do. Heck If I had every penny I put into my 93'LX I probly could buy a 94-95' GT :bang: I saw a nice 89' Saleen once on Ebay that sold less than what I got tied up in both of my 2.3s :nonono:

furvel said:
I have noticed that the 4 cyl hatch and notch drivers seem to be more likely to mod their cars a lot further than the 'vert drivers.

Well i have seen a few clean turbo vert's. Why not have "s-t-y-l-e" with some performance? Also one of the main reasons people dont buy verts to make "performance" cars out of them is :

1: takes more HP to make there heavyness move decently fast
2:at any decent hp or handling , body reinforcements are needed do to weak chassis (no hard top support!)

those things can be over come, and everyone loves a vert that has show AND go!

I agree with Pro-Hawk, how many of us have already paid for a 5.0 and don't have one? Mr. Woodster makes some very good points about the downsides of the convertible. And I also agree with Deadhead23, in that if you have the sound, you oughta have the power also. My thinking is that the 2.3 notch/hatch drivers yearn to be like the 5.0 somewhat more than the vert drivers, who are often (but not always) content to just take it easier and soak up the sun. And I understand the reasons behind both of these philosophies. Hey, I'm considering dropping a 5.0 in my car in the future, and I'll sure as heck add flowmasters too, for that cool sound. But I'll wait for that sound until I have the power. JMO, it's not right or wrong either way.

furvel said:
I agree with Pro-Hawk, how many of us have already paid for a 5.0 and don't have one? Mr. Woodster makes some very good points about the downsides of the convertible. And I also agree with Deadhead23, in that if you have the sound, you oughta have the power also. My thinking is that the 2.3 notch/hatch drivers yearn to be like the 5.0 somewhat more than the vert drivers, who are often (but not always) content to just take it easier and soak up the sun. And I understand the reasons behind both of these philosophies. Hey, I'm considering dropping a 5.0 in my car in the future, and I'll sure as heck add flowmasters too, for that cool sound. But I'll wait for that sound until I have the power. JMO, it's not right or wrong either way.

If I had to guess, most Vert people are looking for the wind in there hair and a nice quite cruz with there girl ;) As for me I'm really thinking of selling my cars and buying a 03' Cobra :D Its nothing against 4cl/V6s but I mess my ole V8s. I got tell next year to decide on whether I do it or not and maybe I'll snap out of it once I get my SVO running in a week :nice:

Pro-Hawk said:
As for me I'm really thinking of selling my cars and buying a 03' Cobra.

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing. Well, I don't wanna sell my car and my engine parts, but I reeeaaallllyyy want to get one of those cars. 4.6 DOHC is the best sounding motor ever made. :drool: Oh, and somehow I want to get financed for a car like that. I wonder if a 20 yr old E3 could get it....

I may have a 6cyl, but I had a similar dilemma. How do I make it sound good, but not like a V8. Answer = Header, true dual exhaust, glasspacks.

When running alongside my dad's 289 '66, they sound noticably different. Although the average person usually can't tell what my car has.

I had one instance where an 80's Lincoln started pacing me and asked if I had a 289 Hi-Po... I laughed and said no. He said 'you want to run?' I said 'sure' :D His car was packed and he walked me. lol.

Another good one happened before I got my '01. This guy in an '01 GT (which was pretty beatup for that new of a car) used to hang around the apartments. I was in my '66 and my older brother was in his '00 Trans Am. As we were leaving I noticed the GT was trying to catch me. He wanted to run. I couldn't stop laughing and I kept gesturing to my brother to run him. So he did. They left me behind. I got up to 75 mph and caught up.. they had let off so I went by them, since I knew where the pizza place was. I pulled in and brother followed. The GT slowed and passed, then came back. He pulled in after we were out of our cars, and asked what I had in it. I said '6 cylinder.' He said :eek: 'is that all?' I had to laugh again. Then he started talking to my brother about how he traded in a Trans Am for the GT, because the GT felt faster. :rolleyes:
I know I talk too much, and it makes me forget the point of my post, but... um... I think it's cool that people don't know what I have under the hood. They are usually in shock because of how it sounds. I like explaining it to them. And I've never had anyone dissapointed after I told them it was just a 6cyl. They always compliment how nice it sounds.

Hey Penguin, if you think people are shocked when you say V6, imagine what it's like for us 4 banger guys. It's typically "They put four cylinders in Mustangs? That's f***ing stupid." Luckily, they don't know about the 2.3 SVO's, Thunderbird Turbocoupes, etc. Sleepers!!!

I4, i know what your talking bout....if hear the phrase "do you gotta 5.oohh in der bro?" one more time... oh well, i say no its a 4 banger. I drive away happy with my 25mpg , knowing its useless to try to exsplain why ford put a 4 cylinder in a stang. I think the 2.3 people need a seceret handshake or something (pssstt: dont tell crovax, he'l spoil it!)

Peng, what kind of 6 do you have in it? the 60's 6 cylinders were inline (170-200-220 i believe) hard to do "true dual exhuast" on an inline motor no?