Progress Thread Let's try this again...

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, those are your condenser hook ups/
Do your HVAC controls show an AC setting??
They do, I guess I just assumed Ford put the same control panel in all cars to save money.
If your going threw there trouble with new parts, replace it.. It’s probably been sitting open for years and rotted to all hell.
Well that’s a bit of a downer, but you’re probably right. I’ve been wanting to clean up the interior for awhile (headliner, missing screws, radio) so that’s probably the best time to tackle that. I’ve heard dash removal is easier in the 79-86 cars.

I’m not an HVAC mechanic, but would it be worth it to check the evaporator for leaks before I pull out the dash? There has to be a way to hook up an air compressor to one end and a pressure gauge to the other, right?

Edit: I’ve done some research. ANY moisture in an AC system is super bad corrosion-wise, and considering the pressure I’d have to test it at I’d probably do nothing more than create a rusty bomb in my dashboard. So that’s probably a bad idea.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I did mine years ago but I went through and fixed a bunch of stuff, dynomat, headliner and carpet, scope creep is real so plan for the big stuff, gather what parts together you can that need dealing with, no point in riding around in air condition comfort that smells like an old shoe.

I did mine years ago but I went through and fixed a bunch of stuff, dynomat, headliner and carpet, scope creep is real so plan for the big stuff, gather what parts together you can that need dealing with, no point in riding around in air condition comfort that smells like an old shoe.
I’m hoping to do dynomat as well, I’m thinking the old insulation probably absorbed a lot of moisture over time and that’s why the interior has that “old car” smell. The carpet was new when I bought the car, and the seats are in decent enough shape so I’m thinking just a good steam cleaning when it’s all out of the car and It should be good. The dash is cracked, but not anywhere noticeable so I’m not worried about it.

I’ll probably combine this project with my engine/transmission swap and just plan on keeping the car garaged for awhile. Lots of bagging and labeling is in my future, it seems.

Yes, that is the evaporator, however if it's been open it's likely accumlated some crud inside and at a minimum needs to be flushed out VERY well. I would replace it. ANy debris in the system will make it's way tot he compressor or the orifice and clog it and then you will be replacing more parts down the road when the system fails

• Agree
I took mine all apart, you know " this begats that and that begats this" , and had the local radiator shop flush, clean and pressure check my Radiator, my condenser, evaporator and my heater core...
Rebuilt/Resealed my compressor ( per 5L5's instructions on here and my FSM) and replaced all of my hoses...
All of them looked original ford parts, Brass where used, and they all checked out fine.. You could do this, in my opinion.....
I trusted my original parts that checked out in good shape over today's aftermarket....

Last edited:
I took mine all apart, you know " this begats that and that begats this" , and had the local radiator shop flush, clean and pressure check my Radiator, my condenser, evaporator and my heater core...
Rebuilt/Resealed my compressor ( per 5L5's instructions on here and my FSM) and replaced all of my hoses...
All of them looked original ford parts, Brass, and they all checked out fine.. You could do this, in my opinion.....
I trusted my original parts that checked out good over today's aftermarket....
The compressor is what I’m concerned about from a buying perspective. I know LMR has a kit that includes one, but apparently it’s Chinese made and is therefore hit or miss in terms of quality, so I think hunting for a reconditioned OEM one is probably a good idea.

I got spoiled hang'n at 'the shop'. They had a automotive AC supplier, that's where I got all my stuff from years ago, installed compressor, evaporator but left caps in place. Hose/dryer is still in box soon to be installed.
Before I finished it the car developed several self induced issues and an issue that wasn't an problem, thus the original name 'Exxon Valdez '. You can read all about it in my thread linked at the bottom (shameless plug).
I'll be following along here and stay tuned to my thread for updates and long winded posts. (For entertainment purposes only)

The compressor is what I’m concerned about from a buying perspective. I know LMR has a kit that includes one, but apparently it’s Chinese made and is therefore hit or miss in terms of quality, so I think hunting for a reconditioned OEM one is probably a good idea.
Rock auto has new ones

Reactions: 1 users
Rock auto has new ones
I’ll check them out, thanks!

Before I finished it the car developed several self induced issues and an issue that wasn't a problem, thus the original name 'Exxon Valdez '. You can read all about it in my thread linked at the bottom (shameless plug).
I’ll have to read that, I’ve named my car “Smaug” like the dragon from the Hobbit, because it takes all of my money and then sits dormant for long periods of time. I like the oil spill theme though, that’s fitting for these cars.

Now, WTF knows what Lily Tomlin sounds like? :shrug:

If it's all the same to you, I went to Joe Pesci. :O_o:
1717363895094.png

The one on the left, prolly best know as 'Edith Ann', you remember her? She was five years old.

I had to google who those people are because I’m a fetus. Pesci sounded familiar, probably because of his role in The Godfather.

Also, I had no idea Tomlin was the voice of Ms. Frizzle in The Magic School Bus. My sister and I used to love watching that show when we were kids. Multi-generational talent, right there.

I had to google who those people are because I’m a fetus. Pesci sounded familiar, probably because of his role in The Godfather.

Also, I had no idea Tomlin was the voice of Ms. Frizzle in The Magic School Bus. My sister and I used to love watching that show when we were kids. Multi-generational talent, right there.
Now I feel old... No difference than when I watch these new NO TALENT modern " stars" of TV and movies... I have no idea who they are either...
Must be the " fickle finger of fate".......

Now I feel old... No difference than when I watch these new NO TALENT modern " stars" of TV and movies... I have no idea who they are either...
Must be the " fickle finger of fate".......
You’re only as old as you feel. I know a 70 year old man that just ran a half marathon with his 23 year old granddaughter and recently rode a motorcycle across the country. I can’t do stuff like that, I almost passed out digging a hole in my backyard just now, and it’s not even done.

I think modern acting is ok, but modern writing, directing, and production is mostly garbage. Just look at Star Wars, I don’t even know what it’s about anymore.