magnaflow or bassani catted x pipe

BNAZ

Nov 29, 2004
MA
Can someone help me decide. For my yr the bassani aluminized x-pipe is 3 piece. Cost is 360. The Magnaflow is one piece. The mag in ss is about 500.
I have a mag cat-back and wasnt really happy with fit.
I dont want a raspy sound and think it best to go with the cats instead of o/r. I think their both equal in HP gain vs stock catted h-pipe. Ground clearance and fit are concerns also. Fox body is lowered about 1-1/4".
I'd like to order one today.
Thanks everyone

• Sponsors (?)

Get the stainless bassani ..... amazing piece. The magnaflow is a one piece stainless piece of crap. The hangers were in the wrong place, had to cut them and re-weld them in the correct place. It also pulled my entire exhaust system forward so the tips looked like a drunk person put them on. I have had both and wasted $500 on a magnaflow. :notnice: JMO ... However, I couldn't be happier with the bassani. :nice:

I'm afraid of the fit with magnaflow and concerned about sound with Bassani
from what I've been reading.

Fishhawk: what was difference in sound since you went from magnaflow x
to Bassani x

Tunedin302: does the bassani sound deep or raspy

Kumm3: the price, 360 vs about 500. do you think they will still sound the same? I know I'll get 3 yrs out of aluminized steel

BNAZ said:

to Bassani x

Like I said, I have had both and you will notice little difference in sound. However, I actually think my bassani sounds better. The raspy sound comes from a thin wall tubing that a lot of companies use (especially BBK). Both bassani and magnaflow use a pretty good thickness tubing on their STAINLESS versions. Also, I had to pry the Magnaflow to fit on my headers. This is a known common problem that has been discussed on here many times. As a result, I found myself replacing an exhaust manifold gasket because of the force it put on my headers. Lastly, whatever you buy make sure it is stainless!! seriously! Do it right and you'll only have to buy it once!

BNAZ said:

to Bassani x

Kumm3: the price, 360 vs about 500. do you think they will still sound the same? I know I'll get 3 yrs out of aluminized steel

Its hard for me to compare because the Magnaflows have cats and the Bassani are off-road W/O cats. Because of that the Bassani are a lot louder. I suspect Magnaflow off-roads would be also. Before I bought either X-pipe I did a little research and found that Magnaflow and Bassani have the best fitment results. Heard nothing but bad things about Mac and BBK.

tunedin302 said:
Like I said, I have had both and you will notice little difference in sound. However, I actually think my bassani sounds better. The raspy sound comes from a thin wall tubing that a lot of companies use (especially BBK). Both bassani and magnaflow use a pretty good thickness tubing on their STAINLESS versions. Also, I had to pry the Magnaflow to fit on my headers. This is a known common problem that has been discussed on here many times. As a result, I found myself replacing an exhaust manifold gasket because of the force it put on my headers. Lastly, whatever you buy make sure it is stainless!! seriously! Do it right and you'll only have to buy it once!
It funny you should mention having to pry the Magnaflows. When I switched from Magnaflow to Bassani I had to do the same thing to make the Bassani fit. The Bassani pushed my cat-back and tail pipe's back about an two inch's.

I had a full Bassani exhaust on my old 95 Cobra and it was absolutely the best that I've seen as far as fit, finish...etc. I myself do not typically buy Bassani stuff because of the price. I seldom keep cars long enough to really see a benefit. If you have the money and its a long term purchase- Bassani is the best as far as I'm concerned.

I had nothing but trouble with my Magnaflow x-pipe. Fitment issues and the cats almost set the car on fire every time I idled, they would get so hot. Customer service wasn't interested, either. Claimed to never have heard of such a problem.

I think I will go with the aluminized bassani w/cats, uless I can find the stainless for less than maybe 475. I dont drive in snow. I've heard pretty good things about the mustangtuning catted x pipe. I think its an upgraded SLP pipe Any comments.

Fishhawk: you got the older 85 lookin good. good job. nice lookin car

BNAZ said:

to Bassani x

well, if you are willing to spend 500 for the magnaflow, why would you only spend 360 for the BX line of bassani?

Go with the Full Stainless whenever you can, less headaches in the long run. And i vote you go with bassani, the fit and finish is like no one else, ive seen magnaflow, and believe me, they are better than most, but I still think Bassani is a higher quality than Magnaflow.

either way, i think youll be happy.

Kumm3 said:
Go with the Full Stainless whenever you can, less headaches in the long run. And i vote you go with bassani, the fit and finish is like no one else, ive seen magnaflow, and believe me, they are better than most, but I still think Bassani is a higher quality than Magnaflow.

:stupid: GET STAINLESS!!!

Shakerhood said:
I have a Stainless Bassani Cat X Pipe, but mine is one piece. Sound is very good with FMS Headers and 2 Chamber Flowmasters Cat Back.

Agreed, I have the same, but just with Bassani 1 3/4 shorty headers and the sound it just so amazing. Btw... my flows have surface rust on them while my bassani parts look nearly as good as the day they were new. Can;t go wrong with bassani fit and finish. :nice:

RacEoHolic330 said:
Agreed, I have the same, but just with Bassani 1 3/4 shorty headers and the sound it just so amazing. Btw... my flows have surface rust on them while my bassani parts look nearly as good as the day they were new. Can;t go wrong with bassani fit and finish. :nice:

i have the same setup, except i have the Bassani cat-back too.

the pipes have turned the purple color, but thats it, still looking good as new.

Kumm3 said:
i have the same setup, except i have the Bassani cat-back too.

the pipes have turned the purple color, but thats it, still looking good as new.

My Bassani X Pipe has a Purple/Gold color to it also and my Flowmasters have surface rust all over them!