Megasquirt - build your own EFI system.

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
Has anyone looked into the Megasquirt ECU?
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

This thing looks amazing. Basically these guys got together and released the plans on how to build your own fully programmable ECU. And when I say "fully programmable" I mean it...you can pick and choose which sensors/components you use... and program the ECU to accept them. Not to mention that you can completely program the fuel map, and datalog your trips to fine tune. You can also look at all of your sensor readings in real time. No more of this "Well maybe it's the coolent sensor"... you just hook up your laptop and take a look at what the coolent temp sensor is telling the computer. If it comes up with -20*F in the middle of the summer..you know it's broken.

Plans, base programming, software and everything are free, you just have to buy the electronic components. Apparently the whole thing can bought and assembled for approx $300. Of course you still need access to a laptop computer as well as the fuel injection components. Already assembled megasquirt ECU's are even available on Ebay for very reasonable prices.

Apparently these things are so flexible they can be used on any engine. There are guys out there running them on diesel engines, supercharged/turbocharged engines, some are running on 16cyln aircraft engines... and there's even 1 guy who retrofitted it to work on his 2stroke dirtbike. Multiport, TBI...1 bigarse injector...the ECU can be programmed to run them all.

This thing looks almost too good to be true. But I guess the proof is in the pudding (and their message forums). I think this is going to be my big winter project this year.

Was just wondering if any of you guys have looked at this ECU, or better yet have some experience with it. For those of you thinking about fuel injecting your classic, I definately suggest you look into the megasquirt.

I won't even get into some of the megasquirt accessories that are available (again for very reasonable prices). For example, there is a display available that you can mount in your dash. This display will do a "ticker tape" display showing you what each sensor is reporting in real time.

• Sponsors (?)

i had planned to use a miniMS (MS and the relay board in one box) and actually had everything installed in my car.

in the end something was messed up on my board (probably through a soldering error) and i could never get the MS to see an RPM signal (everything else worked), so the injectors never fired... i ran out of time and funds to complete the project and have since decided to stick with carburetation for the time being and go with a MAS air setup at some point in the future.

if you are interested in doing this swap on a 302, i've got an Accel Victor Jr style manifold with injectors bungs and fuel rails, along with a 4 barrel billet throttle body and injectors for sale... heck, i've even got a complete miniMS box that needs to be trouble shooted i'd part with.

from my experience, it seems like a great idea, but don't go the cheap route like i did and try to make it yourself unless you've got lots of time and you actually purchase the stimulator... and whatever you do, don't go the mini-MS route as the MS forums WILL NOT even talk to you in terms of tech support.

Was thinking about this myself. I've got a Ford EEC running my fuel injection now and, although it works pretty well, there are certainly things it'd be interesting to change - i.e. A/F ratio, particularly at mid-throttle and during cold-start, and timing advance curves. Was thinking about either the Megasquirt, which looks like a pretty huge time investment, but with total flexibility, or the twEECer, which allows you to make changes to the Ford EEC over a fairly wide range, while staying within the original Ford framework. Anyone used either one of these systems? (not trying to hijack, just expand!)

Thanks for the info Bullit.

I do plan on buying a pre-assembled unit AND stimulator, and as much of the pre-done stuff as possible(wiring harness, relay board, etc). I also hope to go with the Megasquirt II if I can find one...(they are new and boards are in short supply). Otherwise I'll just upgrade later (the MSII is an upgrade kit for the original MS so it's not like I'll end up buying 2 ECU's)

I have a background in electronics so I have no doubt I'd be able to assemble it myself without problems. However, it's been my experience that buying a pre-assembled kit is worth every penny. Since these guys build so many units, they can build them much faster. What would take them 1 hour, would probably take me 4 hours..

If that manifold was for a 351W I'd be all over it.

What I think I'm going to do is purchase a Throttle body from auto-nomics http://www.auto-nomics.com/cgi-bin/showresults?a=detail&part=10850-002-D they can sell you a whole unit pre-assembled with fuel rails, TPS, and fuel injectors for approx $400. This gives the advantage of keeping the stock look.

70nitrouseater,

I personally know 2 people that run the Megasquirt and have good results with it. One of them is a street truck pushing almost 30# of boost and is the quickest street truck in lincoln. The other is owned by a nitrous junkie who sprays around 400 worth and uses it to controll functions such as EGT sensors.

Be warned that it is NOT user friendly! From what I hear, it is a PITA to build your own ECU program even for the advanced tuner. The one person is an electrician and had someone build the program for him. The other is an engineer and did it himself.

If you have any questions on the tuner try stangtuning.com.

If you do go with the Megasquirt system please let me know how it works out for ya!

I run one, Awesome product! I will never go back to a stock ECU. It is quite easy to tune and went together without a single hitch. The tuning software is very mature and quite user friendly so I am a little confused at your comments Guddyup306. It almost sounds like the users you are referring decided to write their own tuning software. The tuning software that most people use (megatune) is quite adequate unless you want to do some seriously strange stuff. But…this is the beauty of the system. If it does not meet your needs…change it!

Just do three things in order to implement your megasquirt.

Read the MegaManual.
Read the MegaManual
Read the MegaManual.

:)

Then go to www.msefi.com and ask questions. This is the official forum and the people there are INCREDIBLY helpful. Just read the MeagManual ;-)

http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/mtabcon.htm

As far as tuners go for stock ECU’s. I thing they want too much money for too little control of the system. Not to say they are not good, The have done an incredible job with these things. I just like to be able to control everything.

For example, The other night I got a hankering to throw away the crappy HEI distributor. I will soon be running an EDIS system from a Cadillac Northstar.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help or the Forum will be able to answer them.

Cheers,

Rufus

Thanks for your comments rufus. I'm printing off the manual as we speak. You can bet I'll be sending you a couple of PM's with questions....hope you don't mind :nice:

giddyup306: I'm not too worried as to the complexity. I went to college for electronics, and am currently employed in the computer industry.. so hopefully I won't have too many problems.

Another really cool thing about the megasquirt is that you can start really simple, and then add more sensors and control from there. For example, I'm not going to bother with the spark control for now. I'll get it installed and tuned 1st then look into controlling spark timing, adding more sensors, and including events for the N20 later.

No worries 70…send all the PM’s you like.

The MegaManual is a great document and well worth the read. :)

The approach that you are taking is probably the easiest route to take. Separate the complexity of trying to tune fuel and spark at the same time. That can get confusing given all the variables and interactions of trying to get both systems up and running from an unknown state.

Cheers,

Rufus

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Thanks for the info Bullit.

I do plan on buying a pre-assembled unit AND stimulator, and as much of the pre-done stuff as possible(wiring harness, relay board, etc). I also hope to go with the Megasquirt II if I can find one...(they are new and boards are in short supply). Otherwise I'll just upgrade later (the MSII is an upgrade kit for the original MS so it's not like I'll end up buying 2 ECU's)

I have a background in electronics so I have no doubt I'd be able to assemble it myself without problems. However, it's been my experience that buying a pre-assembled kit is worth every penny. Since these guys build so many units, they can build them much faster. What would take them 1 hour, would probably take me 4 hours..

If that manifold was for a 351W I'd be all over it.

What I think I'm going to do is purchase a Throttle body from auto-nomics http://www.auto-nomics.com/cgi-bin/showresults?a=detail&part=10850-002-D they can sell you a whole unit pre-assembled with fuel rails, TPS, and fuel injectors for approx $400. This gives the advantage of keeping the stock look.

I am thinking this could be just the thing I was looking for. I have been thinking about going EFI, but didn't want to throw away my intake. That throttle body would bolt right up.

Be sure and take lots of pictures for you write up. I will probable be following in your footsteps. :nice:

Loads of guys use the MegaSquirt over here, with custom made throttle bodies and all sorts of stuff. One guy is currently building one to control a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in a Rover SD1 - if this means nothing to you, it's a Spitfire aero engine in a car a bit bigger than a Chevy Cavalier.

I've no experience of the unit other than reading about it, but the concensus seems to be RTFM.

hey guys. I've just also been "alerted" to megasquirt and am probebly going to go with it..... however i'm very confused.... When i'm going to buy it what do i actually need to get...... i would go with the megasquirt 2 right away. However does that mean i need to but the first one, as well as the second one to upgrade? or is the megasquirt 2 kit (for $250 off there web site) the actual complete kit..... U know what i mean? I hope so lol. It sounds like an awsome kit, i just wish i knew what i needed :(
I'll prob get away with out the relay board and use the stock wireing harness since as far as i know the ECU won't be needed anymore cas the guages are the only thing left and thoes are on there own correct? (cars in the sig) SO hopefuilly it looks like i only need the "mega squirt 2 kit" and then the cable that goes to the laptop.... The rest should be able to just be re wired into the megasquirt off the original harness, i dont have a/c or cruse either...... So if i'm wrong let me know ASAP! :flag:

Things are a little in flux at the moment.

There are 3 CPU’s in circulation (will be in the next couple of days)

There are 3 Circuit boards in circulation.

I would recommend that you read the following post for the full story.
http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=8789

In about a week you should be able to order up the latest and greatest goodies

I would get the V3 Circuit board and the latest MSII CPU.

I believe http://www.diyautotune.com/ is taking preorders for the full unassembled kit including the v3 ckt board and the MS II CPU.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Art

Yeah thats where i was going to get it from. So it's prob better to just wait anyway. So I pretty much need the "mega squirt 2 unassembled kit" And then it should all be ok since thats the update as well as the PCB-3.0 board?....

Am i still correct about being able to take out the old ECU?

You'll probably want the V3.0 board.

As for wether to get megasquirt, megasquirt II, or ultramegasquirt...

Right now, I would just go with the regular megasquirt (version 3 board), and then load the expansion software onto it (MegasquirtNspark).

Otherwise I would wait for the ultramegasquirt. The megasquirt II is just an upgrade to the megasquirt I to allow spark control. When the ultramegasquirt is ready, it'll make the MSII obsolete. Especially since you can make the MSI do most of the stuff MSII can do with only a software change.

ahhh icic now. Thats what was confusen me the most. So it is just an update board. Yeah i wasn't planning on getting it till winter anyway so sounds like i'm better off just waiting a bit more till then. I'll just keep my eye out on when the "ultra megasquirt" becomes avalible. Hopefully that'll be all i need then! Thanx guys

This looks like the old Holley Pro-jection ECU. I tried it back in mid 90's on my 4 X 4. When it worked the engine ran great, idled smooth and started fast. It was easily adjusted without a laptop computer. When it quit I had to walk out of the woods on foot.... :mad: .....after that I sent it back to Jeg's for an exchange for a carb. that I still run today. :shrug:

thehueypilot said:
This looks like the old Holley Pro-jection ECU. I tried it back in mid 90's on my 4 X 4. When it worked the engine ran great, idled smooth and started fast. It was easily adjusted without a laptop computer. When it quit I had to walk out of the woods on foot.... :mad: .....after that I sent it back to Jeg's for an exchange for a carb. that I still run today. :shrug:

Megasquirt is just the ECU.

You can program it to work with a holley throttle body, or any number of different fuel injection components. Anything from 16cyl aircraft engines to motorbikes.