Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems as though the rack bushing must have excessive wear to allow that much movement of the rack assembly.Even if the fluid would dampen it,I'm not sure that much play would be optimal for steering feel and precision.
Got any more spares?

I need to pop that boot off and take a look, but my fear is you are right. Nope, no more spares. Too bad I didn’t have the tools to rebuild a rack myself. I have a perfectly good rack with a broken housing sitting here.

if I replace the rack...my 6 hours of bunp steering the car was all for nothing

• Sponsors (?)

Gonna push on. I’ll investigate the rack and if necessary replace it. Just means I need to rebumpsteer the car when it’s in it’s finished state. Any adjustment, if necessary, will be tiny compared to the gross adjustmrnt I just did.

I just need to get the rack situation squared away before I connect PS hoses up and put the engine in.

Btw, my wheel showed up for test fitting.

Chinese wheel I know, but I liked this style. I saw these before I saw the welds RTS wheels and was hooked.

I need to see clearance to the brembos, and then make a decision. Go back to the Vette calipers, or stick with the brembos and add a spacer. Or maybe try out the Baer T4 calipers which are slightly smaller. Thing is I don’t want these to stick out. 96+ spindles plus spacers = too much pokey?

they weigh 23.4 lb each. 18x9. Outback id run the 18x10 but I’d need to change axles and run the offset caliper brackets.

Reason I like them is because they are kinda like a mix of a Saleen SC wheel (the real Stern/Speedline versions) and the color scheme of the 03/04 Bullitt wheel, which I always loved. Wasn't much of a fan of black painted spokes

3D832FC4-5D87-40ED-B635-4735C958FC9C.jpeg
A75663BC-CF47-40D4-B3D9-B19CCEB78F20.jpeg
770FC6F4-6661-487E-BBB6-2C0D2A528D3D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Btw, my wheel showed up for test fitting.
Chinese wheel I know, but I liked this style. I saw these before I saw the welds RTS wheels and was hooked.

I need to see clearance to the brembos, and then make a decision. Go back to the Vette calipers, or stick with the brembos and add a spacer. Or maybe try out the Baer T4 calipers which are slightly smaller. Thing is I don’t want these to stick out. 96+ spindles plus spacers = too much pokey?

they weigh 23.4 lb each. 18x9. Outback id run the 18x10 but I’d need to change axles and run the offset caliper brackets.

Reason I like them is because they are kinda like a mix of a Saleen SC wheel (the real Stern/Speedline versions) and the color scheme of the 03/04 Bullitt wheel, which I always loved. Wasn't much of a fan of black painted spokes

3D832FC4-5D87-40ED-B635-4735C958FC9C.jpeg
A75663BC-CF47-40D4-B3D9-B19CCEB78F20.jpeg
770FC6F4-6661-487E-BBB6-2C0D2A528D3D.jpeg
That’s a good looking wheel!

Reactions: 1 user
The way I see it Mike, is if you aren’t racing the car on a track, you don’t hugely benefit from the high dollar light weight wheels. I have no issues running Chinese wheels, so long as they balance out well and don’t have a rep of breaking under normal driving conditions. Haters can hate and blow their money as they see fit.

Ok, well it’s time to make a decision.

these do not fit with the brembos. I’ve got 6mm worth of spacers on and need more. I prob need 10mm (which I don’t think exists) I’m out of hub for the wheel to slip over. Needless to say, not really sure the wheel would fit the car at that point.

0FFFC184-97AD-463A-A417-ECA8C03E5899.jpeg

so I tossed on the C6 calipers. Plenty of room.
657F1C33-EE1F-4C4F-9115-8CC3B2A2FC8B.jpeg

Gotta make a decision here. It would have implications in parts. For instance, I wouldn’t need the Baer MC anymore, which is 1 1/8” bore. The whole reason for using it was the larger brembos and 43mm rear calipers. I have the oem MC and conversion lines in a shelf ready to go.

secondly. Here’s the clearance to the coil over. This was with a 3mm spacer on, which would be removed.
5CF3E63A-4435-478E-BB2E-26B97B33E5FC.jpeg

it’s tough to get a sense of where the fender will sit in relation to the wheel without an actual fender on the car. The distance to the coil-over is similar to my 17x8 cobra wheels. Obviously these are 18” so perhaps they are a little closer, but keep in mind I’m running 96+ spindkes so sticking out too far is a concern.

overall, I love the wheels. The c6 setup worked fine and fit perfectly. Plus I can swap wheels easily.

what to do.

Ok, well it’s time to make a decision.

these do not fit with the brembos. I’ve got 6mm worth of spacers on and need more. I prob need 10mm (which I don’t think exists) I’m out of hub for the wheel to slip over. Needless to say, not really sure the wheel would fit the car at that point.

0FFFC184-97AD-463A-A417-ECA8C03E5899.jpeg

so I tossed on the C6 calipers. Plenty of room.
657F1C33-EE1F-4C4F-9115-8CC3B2A2FC8B.jpeg

Gotta make a decision here. It would have implications in parts. For instance, I wouldn’t need the Baer MC anymore, which is 1 1/8” bore. The whole reason for using it was the larger brembos and 43mm rear calipers. I have the oem MC and conversion lines in a shelf ready to go.

secondly. Here’s the clearance to the coil over. This was with a 3mm spacer on, which would be removed.
5CF3E63A-4435-478E-BB2E-26B97B33E5FC.jpeg

it’s tough to get a sense of where the fender will sit in relation to the wheel without an actual fender on the car. The distance to the coil-over is similar to my 17x8 cobra wheels. Obviously these are 18” so perhaps they are a little closer, but keep in mind I’m running 96+ spindkes so sticking out too far is a concern.

overall, I love the wheels. The c6 setup worked fine and fit perfectly. Plus I can swap wheels easily.

what to do.
you’re at full drop..the clearance between the rim and the spring gets better at ride height doesn’t it?

you’re at full drop..the clearance between the rim and the spring gets better at ride height doesn’t it?

nope. Stays fixed other than the springs movement. Strut and spindle are bolted as one.

spring clearance isn’t actually an issue. I could actually have the hub milled and move it closer

The point I was trying to make is that clearance was similar to the 8” rim. So that extra 1” might be at the outside edge

Bummer man. Those wheels are tits. I’d keep the cobra calipers and the wheels. At the end of the day, the brembos are cool but it’s waaaaay more brake than you’ll ever use.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It's a shame the brembos don't work with that wheel.. that's a sexy looking setup.

I think that you made an excellent choice with that wheel, Having read your entire build thread recently, I know you've been wanting them a while. Hopefully they clear your fender. Wheels can make or break the aesthetics of a vehicle, IMO. Brake's... not as much. The c5's are big and any enthusiast will notice them.

I don't know if you're open for other's opinions on the matter and I was careful to word the above statement in a way not to project mine on you. Whatever you do, it'll look (and stop) great.. you have good taste. Keep up the good work man.

I’m open to honest opinions. I realize the only opinion that matters is my own, but I’m interested in the thoughts of others. I can handle it and would hope that if something I do seems cheesy or half-ass and not in the spirit of what I’m trying to do you folks would let me know.

I agree with the others. Keep the wheels and run the C6 brakes. Since you asked for opinions, I always liked the “Corvette” over running horse. That made me do a double take when I saw that after I joined the forum a few years back. I bet people would freak out when they saw Corvette brakes on your car. You definitely don’t see that everyday. It’s your car though Mike. What ever you decide, we all know it’ll look good. :hail:

Last edited:
I’m leaning going back to my “old” brakes. Now what to do about the MC. I think hydroboost tends to be a lot more forgiving when it comes to MC sizing so I could possibly still run it.

out back, I’ll need to swap to fox lenght axles, but I’ve been wanting to do that for some time. The sn95 axles limit me on tire size. I need more than a 255 back there.

Just to play Devils advocate..... that Baer MC and some braided line under the hood would look pretty cool !!

.....but I do like the new wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.