Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I think you just have the wrong type of clamp on that hose. That looks like a band clamp with a clasp and hinge.

A regular ole hose clamp will probably seal it up.

Yeah. This style just looks nicer, but as we can see, probably not the same amount of clamping force.

Will probably swap to the regular ole style as I don't want to keep dealing with this sort of leak.

Yup, those are what I have. Definitely need to get thinner ones for a bit more clamping Force.

Got the bike running. Just needed some starter fluid to get the flow going through the carbs. It doesn’t run well (struggled to climb in rpm) but I drove it around the block.

Now to fix this coolant leak

Reactions: 5 users
Tightened up the hose clamps a bit. I repositioned the leaking one and went pretty darn tight. Hooked up the pressure tester and it held for a while.

CFFE0879-3883-4161-BBFB-E3990CA9D157.jpeg

Put a heat cycle into the engine so got an idle clip.

View: https://youtu.be/NsAJrHs-H8U

I’ll retest in a few days. I’ll probably track down narrower clamps and replace them. These ones are 3/4” wide. I don’t want to deal with nuisance leaks down the road.

Edit: looks like the diameters are stamped on them.

Tstat : 2.125”
Top radiator: 1.50”
Bottom radiator: 1.50”
Lower water pump: can’t see it

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Under the car today. Pass side brake hose was the one that was rubbing. Tweak on the bracket and that was all set.

I also made a toe adjustment to center the steering wheel. I have a method of setting toe and centering it on this car, so today made a small tweak.

Inspected the underside. My oil sensor block off plug was leaking a tad. Ironic I know. It was a tiny bit loose so I wiped it clean and tightened it up. Will check later. I should do an oil change. It’s been over a year despite the 10 miles or so traveled. If anything, I like seeing what comes out.

Checked for coolant leaks. I did find this drop on the lower hose. Unsure if it was there before I tightened the clamps up. I snugged it up more, so will need to check again. I should really just replace these clamps…at least the bottom two. Nobody will see them.
E2E60DFE-5648-4611-9D8B-17365DAEB123.jpeg

Overall no surprised. Everything seems clean. Did not drive the car today. Just too much to get done around the house so was surprised I got this done. However, closer to being fully Road worthy. I admit, I got distracted by the motorcycle. However that is back to being turn-key. Just need tires and that will also be Road worthy. It runs well (although needs valve seals)

All you get is this underside shot
71DF3023-8327-46A2-BDEE-088DD1E47018.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
At least the kids look happy...... On your way to Burger King?

Just around the neighborhood.

That's awesome! I love the expressions! :rock:

How did she drive?

I did a solo drive and finally got on it and let the TfS170s breathe. It was quite fast. Much faster than it ever was stock that’s for sure. Obviously that’s what should happen but it was nice to get validation that I put everything together correctly.

A/C still working nice. Such a game changer cruising around on an 80+ degree day with cold air in the face. Car really didn’t feel any slower with the ac on vs off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ok. So initial impressions.

On first startup, it sounded the same. Like….exactly the same. Not necessarily a bad thing as I was afraid of it changing the sound in a way I would hate. But nope. My car sounded just like my car.

After driving the Borlas…

They do not sound the same. They sound awesome. When I get on it, it sounds different. I’m so used to the flowmasters that this is more of a powerful growl than drone.

Tame at idle and cruise, but badass at wot

Totally worth the install work.

Reactions: 4 users

They do not sound the same. They sound awesome. When I get on it, it sounds different. I’m so used to the flowmasters that this is more of a powerful growl than drone.

I got that same feeling when I ditched the flows and did the SLP loudmouths, at idle it sound nice and stock but get over 2,000 rpm and the beast speaks.

I guess the Bassani cats don’t do much to change the sound…… it’s the mufflers that are making the “tone”?
I can’t remember, did you have a cat less H pipe before the Bassani? If so….. any noticeable difference in the fumes?

I guess the Bassani cats don’t do much to change the sound…… it’s the mufflers that are making the “tone”?
I can’t remember, did you have a cat less H pipe before the Bassani? If so….. any noticeable difference in the fumes?

I didn't notice much of a difference going from H-pipe to X-pipe. I know folks say it sounds raspier, but i didn't notice a damn thing.

I had an off-road pipe in the past and just hated the smell. I tossed the stock H-pipe back on and then went to the bassani. No smell at all from the bassani, but it was much louder than the stock h-pipe.

But the borlas were the biggest change. I need to stick a camera on the rear and get some exhaust vids under load. It sounds really good when you get on it

Status
Not open for further replies.