Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any motor swap is waaaaay down the road anyway. Just something that’s been stuck in the back of my mind. I may talk about it but It’s all talk at this point. Don’t Expect a motor to show up anytime soon

Still trying to dial in the combo. More driving today. Not quite sure the hydro is where it needs to be. While braking performance is better, it still doesn’t feel right. On top of that, I feel a little brake drag as well. The car doesn’t freely roll as much as I thought it did before. Need to test more on a cooler day. It would be a major project to go back to booster right now, but I’m thinking of it. I need to work through what I have no first.

Also, car doesn’t run as well when it’s balls hot out. It’s the typical hunting idle up and down before a stall. It drives fine, but surges and stalls at a light unless I catch it. I have to clutch in and be prepared to feather throttle. I’ve noticed this before, and pretty much knew it’s all because of not being tuned. It runs much richer when HOT and humid. When it’s cooler out it’s much more stable and steady. Engine temp is right around 190 degrees.

I think I’m stuck enjoying driving the car right now because I should reallly be wiring the MS3 in and talking to @a91what aboutsome tuning. I just think I’m trying to push that off til fall/winter. I e got some vacations coming up, so no point doing it now (although I need to prep the wiring harness)

AC is working awesome as hell though. Really cranking it with windows up, cannot feel any power loss and so cold my sunglasses fog up when I exit the car. I know I keep saying this, but 20+ years of sweating my butt off when I drove this car…this is a game changer!

Also…I had a FU moment. Picking up a coffee at local coffee shop, got in too fast.
A2BAF35C-9C01-4B21-A84E-9B0FFF0ED5B0.jpeg
Damn it! Bummer about the seat.

• Sponsors (?)

Not with a 302. I’m still wondering if I should up the pressure relief valve. I’ll wait til I’m at work this week to do some research. The pump is the wildcard here but the 99-03 super duty does use a C2 style pump with hydro.

i should start with simple stuff first. Unbolt the mc to give it some gap and see if that fixes the brake drag. Could be a pushrod issue

Reactions: 1 user
It idles where it shouod most of the time. Right where stock A9L commands it. Just when it’s hot and humid she starts going a bit rich and I get the typical idle surge.

It’s 100% a tuning issue. I need to just get that done, but lots going on right now.

Currently hunting for a car for the wife. Think we settled on a ‘23 CRV. Trying to get that done plus we leave for a vacation soon….

It idles where it shouod most of the time. Right where stock A9L commands it. Just when it’s hot and humid she starts going a bit rich and I get the typical idle surge.

It’s 100% a tuning issue. I need to just get that done, but lots going on right now.

Currently hunting for a car for the wife. Think we settled on a ‘23 CRV. Trying to get that done plus we leave for a vacation soon….
Hey is your car doing any of this?...................:

I am going to check and maybe swap out my IAT and ACT sensors on my 95. I have a few other car/engines that I'll try swapping first and see if that helps my issue. What mine is doing and I think the problem went away some years ago and can't remember what exactly I did because after the car got hit in 2015 I the engine/car sat until I put it in my 94 Cobra in 2021.

What it will do and I swear it's only on extreme extreme hot days and likely after I've driven for say 15 minutes or so. If I stop at a gas station per se and shut the car off to get gas and go to start it, it will start fine but if I don't give it gas/keep playing with the pedal until I take off out of the station's lot it will cut off. It will start fine every time even if the car shuts off 5 times in a row. I can leave the station and go to a red light maybe 1/4 of a mile and usually it will be fine and stay running until I shut it off again. I think it's sometimey as to doing that even on hot days as to taking off and getting to a red light within say a 1/4 mile or so. I did notice the last time I drove it well the time before the last time, when I went to take off after stopping for the first time (I think I shut the car off at this one station but didn't get fuel can't remember). But when I left the stop sign the car started sputtering some when I took off only did that for few seconds. I drove about 30 minutes and stopped and got gas filled it up and when I took off from a stop it sputtered again for few seconds but didn't do it the rest of the day nor the next time I drove it.

So, 650-700 RPM... with a cam. Maybe you can tune that out. :shrug:

You're still running with the VSS hooked up, right? Any issue when you let off the gas in neutral and coast down? Starts giving trouble once stopped, right?

No other issues at all. It’s rich. I can clearly smell it when she starts hunting. I’m sure my AFR is way off.

I have the MS3 and widebands ready to go. I just need to sit down and do it. Mine isn’t plug and play, I just need to splice up an adapter harness which has been sitting on my bench for 2 years now

• Surprised
So, 650-700 RPM... with a cam. Maybe you can tune that out. :shrug:

You're still running with the VSS hooked up, right? Any issue when you let off the gas in neutral and coast down? Starts giving trouble once stopped, right?
Hey can you check my question to him above and let me know what you think about mine?
Thanks

No other issues at all. It’s rich. I can clearly smell it when she starts hunting. I’m sure my AFR is way off.

I have the MS3 and widebands ready to go. I just need to sit down and do it. Mine isn’t plug and play, I just need to splice up an adapter harness which has been sitting on my bench for 2 years now
So yours isn't doing what mine is doing what I described above?

So yours isn't doing what mine is doing what I described above?

Sorry, didn’t see your posts til now.

It’s doing pretty similar. Only on hot/humid days, which is right now. When it’s a bit cooler, it doesn’t do it at all. The issue is only at idle, once I’m driving it’s perfectly fine.

But I can tell it’s pig rich. When I back into my garage and if it stalls out a few times i can just smell out rich it is running. I can usually balance it out and get a stable idle, and it doesn’t do it at every single stop.

When FTI did my cam, they told me I would need tuning. I was actually so surprised it ran so well with the A9L untuned. I was not expecting that. On a normal 75 degree day, it runs like a top. That’s usually spring and fall here, so I had a few really good driving days in the spring. I was never expecting to NOT have to tune it, but now it seems the symptoms are showing. Now it’s 90s and muggy. Once up to temp, I gotta keep a foot ready for the throttle or it will cut out. Restarts fine. Once over idle it rips. No stumble or hesitations.

No dyno/track times yet. Car is a street car. Once I get the computer setup and the car tuned, I plan on hitting the dyno.

I just want to work through the brakes right now. I’ll work on the ECU/tuning stuff in the fall/winter.

Sorry, didn’t see your posts til now.

It’s doing pretty similar. Only on hot/humid days, which is right now. When it’s a bit cooler, it doesn’t do it at all. The issue is only at idle, once I’m driving it’s perfectly fine.

But I can tell it’s pig rich. When I back into my garage and if it stalls out a few times i can just smell out rich it is running. I can usually balance it out and get a stable idle, and it doesn’t do it at every single stop.

When FTI did my cam, they told me I would need tuning. I was actually so surprised it ran so well with the A9L untuned. I was not expecting that. On a normal 75 degree day, it runs like a top. That’s usually spring and fall here, so I had a few really good driving days in the spring. I was never expecting to NOT have to tune it, but now it seems the symptoms are showing. Now it’s 90s and muggy. Once up to temp, I gotta keep a foot ready for the throttle or it will cut out. Restarts fine. Once over idle it rips. No stumble or hesitations.

No dyno/track times yet. Car is a street car. Once I get the computer setup and the car tuned, I plan on hitting the dyno.

I just want to work through the brakes right now. I’ll work on the ECU/tuning stuff in the fall/winter.
What heads and cam mass air meter and throttle body size are you running? 302 or 306?

TFS 170 heads, the custom cam, ported cobra. 65mm TB (for now I have a 70 in box), 94-95 MAF with 19s. It’s a 302.

When I swap the ECU I’m ditching the MAF and going speed density and swapping 30# injectors in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooled off tonight a lot. Way less humid. Went for a cruise. No problems at all when coming to a stop. It’s definitely a hunidity issue here. Not ignition as the engine runs smooth and strong when cruising around. It’s just idle mixture seems pig rich when the temp/humidity climbs.

Hotter humid air requires a slight leaning of the air/fuel it it seems like that isn’t happening. I’m not gonna chase it. I have the fix I just need to get off my arse.

Cooled off tonight a lot. Way less humid. Went for a cruise. No problems at all when coming to a stop. It’s definitely a hunidity issue here. Not ignition as the engine runs smooth and strong when cruising around. It’s just idle mixture seems pig rich when the temp/humidity climbs.

Hotter humid air requires a slight leaning of the air/fuel it it seems like that isn’t happening. I’m not gonna chase it. I have the fix I just need to get off my arse.
Gotcha and so what's going to be your fix to that issue is it something in the tune you're going to play with the tune? Are you running a standalone or some kind of I'm not too familiar with a lot of the terminology of the different kind of tunes I just know a Dyno tune and then you know like the Holly and The Terminator x and stuff like that I guess those are standalone? Maybe if you can fix yours depending on if you have a situation like mine or not a situation like mine but are tuning like the dyno tuner is doing mine, maybe he can fix my issue as well but like you say it's only on certain days when it's crazy like that but I'd like to get it fixed so I wouldn't have to worry about it at all if possible.

@from6to8 - start a thread with what is going on with your car. A bit confusing with your posts in someone else’s thread. Mike may not mind but it’s just an etiquette thing and you will get more eyes on it and focused help.

• PlusOne
@from6to8 - start a thread with what is going on with your car. A bit confusing with your posts in someone else’s thread. Mike may not mind but it’s just an etiquette thing and you will get more eyes on it and focused help.
I already got the answers to mine by me and him talking. My last post response wasn a response to the previous guy suggesting something about for the sake of discussion the incoming air in regard to Mike's car.

My solution is going to be putting in the aftermarket ECU and tuning. It's always been my goal to do this. I want to play around with tuning.

The A9L was only meant to get the car running and driving. Goal was to always go with the MS3X. Really, i should be making this move now vs driving around on an poorly tuned car.

My solution is going to be putting in the aftermarket ECU and tuning. It's always been my goal to do this. I want to play around with tuning.

The A9L was only meant to get the car running and driving. Goal was to always go with the MS3X. Really, i should be making this move now vs driving around on an poorly tuned car.
gotcha man sounds good. I had mine tuned back in 05 and got another tune in 14 with mostly the same setup just made a few tests and checks over the years before I got a retune and it probably helped overall some. If I had the desire to want to learn all of the tuning stuff and playing around with things I'd go that route as well.....

Hope you get it all sorted ...:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.